My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has to be some thats ready to come out and stand up and say I'M a Snapper owners and proud of it. I have a 32 year old RER and it is still going strong sounds like a Timex commercial :D Anybody else?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
jodyand said:
I know there has to be some thats ready to come out and stand up and say I'M a Snapper owners and proud of it. I have a 32 year old RER and it is still going strong sounds like a Timex commercial :D Anybody else?
Nope, but I've driven a few of the RER wheely poppers.

Here's pic of a real old timer:

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thats the original turtle. :D

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Snapper ?

I have owned two Snappers. One was an 8hp rer with a 30" cut. I wish someone would have told me when i bought it that it wasn't a big enough cut for an acre of ground. I sold it after 2 years of mowing with it and bought a 41" tractor that did much better. I sold it to my brother than bought it back and now i still have it. It is a 1987 model. Built like a tank with the turning radius of a Kenworth. The rer was really nice, just to small for my needs. :D

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome lawnman glad to have you aboard and glad you like the forum. My old RER has been great have mow many of a yard with it. I still use it to cut grass at work and i have a side job where i use it to cut this womans yard. I have been very please with it. I recommend it for anyone that just wants to mow grass up to a acre. Like you said very easy to work on and parts are cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an old (late 70's early 80's) 28" 12.5hp RER. It came with 8hp but was blown when I bought it for $100. I had the 12.5 already, and the rest is history. I would hate to have to mow a whole acre with it. The quality, however, is hard to beat.
~Bruce

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome Bruce mine is an 8HP 30" cut and i have cut a couple of acres at time with its not bad takes me a couple hours.

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Snapper mowers.

I bought new a 1982-3 Snapper hi-vac, 32" deck, 11 h.p. B&S, electric start, and am still using it every summer!
Best machine i have in my line-up!
Its going to be on its 3rd. mower deck belt, this summer! I make sure the oil is kept clean, and i bathe it now and then, sharpen the blade occasionally, a new battery every 2 years! And, i grease the few fittings and oil the rods and brake pedal pivots, etc!
Only major thing i have had to do is replace the lower crank-shaft oil seal!

Now, how could anybody knock that?
And, i have another one, 8 h.p. waiting in the wings, to come on stage if the big one decides to quit!

I'd recommend the Hi-vac to anybody!
By: Rusty Jones

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a couple snappers living at my house. The first is a '95 ZTR with a 60" deck and the second is a '91 RER with a 30"deck. I bought the RER last fall for $25, it needed an engine, blade, and starter solenoid. Currently have around $150 in it and everything is tight. The ZTR makes quick work of our yard but "we" will be mowing a few extra yards this year (MIL,GMIL) so I got the RER so the wife could help too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
snappers

:smilie_fl :smilie_fl bought a snapper lt16 w/44''deck got her running made friends with a lawn mower repairer he got me started fixing and selling them lost count on how many i bought from him an rebuilt to sell over 35 easy. had atwo bay shop on a busy georgia road sold three a weekend till i got busy repairing them, some one brought me a murray asked if i only fixed snappers took the job inthey didnt stop. had to move back home made another small engine guy real happy sold him everything pennys on the dollar easy come easy go snappers are very well built seen some 50 or60 modles still going strong.so many snapper stories to tell but time to go will post pics when i learn :banghead3 john aka willefixit my shops name was willefixits no leading the customers on :smilie_fl

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kyfarmer said:
I have a couple snappers living at my house. The first is a '95 ZTR with a 60" deck and the second is a '91 RER with a 30"deck. I bought the RER last fall for $25, it needed an engine, blade, and starter solenoid. Currently have around $150 in it and everything is tight. The ZTR makes quick work of our yard but "we" will be mowing a few extra yards this year (MIL,GMIL) so I got the RER so the wife could help too.

:Welcome: kyfarmer it looks like we have a good many Snapper owner here. Your lucky my wife would make me ride the RER and she would be riding the ZTR. :bump9:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I am going to do this again. Had this all done and somehow lost it. I AM A SNAPPER OWNER. I mow with a 1997 60" 22 HP ZTR. Just love it. :bannana: Also have an old LT that I use to play around with and an 1994 SP walkmower that I trim with.
Now for the best part!!!!!!!! I collect Snappers !! :fing32:
You can see part of my collection at
www.oldlawnmowersandstuff.com and click on " My Stuff" I have 9 Snappin Turtles ( 5 need to find a new home) 2 Snappin Turtle Riders, 1 Big Snapper, 1 Snapper reel mower that has never been used, 1 of the first walkbehind Snappers that was a belt drive that has never been used. This mower was still in the original box when I got it. Several models of the walkbehind mowers, 1 has reverse. What a liability :fing20: I am still looking for a 640B tractor and several of the big wheel walkbehind mowers. I have a lot of old litature, banners and signs. You can't tell that I like Snappers can you. I am not sure but I probably have about 25 in all.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a LT11 with a snowblower on it, no mower deck. I use it at work for small to medium snow events. Works okay BUT - as Durwood said, turning radius of a Kenworth, plus a quarter turn slop in the steering wheel, where the linkage is keyed to the vertical shaft. Only way I can see to fix it is weld it. But I digress. Engine leaks oil like a sieve. Probably needs the crankshaft seals replaced. Is that an easy job? Also the rear end leaks. That doesn't look like an easy job. It would appear you have to remove everything from the top down to get at it. Whoever designed the snowblower setup forgot one minor detail, you can't open the hood enough to check the oil without driving the front wheels up on blocks to enable the hood to clear the blower spout. But, all in all, it does the job I ask of it, which is to keep me from having to operate the walkbehind, which is a man killer. The sliding disk tranny works amazingly well, and I generally don't have to use it a lot so the problems aren't a big deal.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
old_nodaker said:
Also the rear end leaks. That doesn't look like an easy job. It would appear you have to remove everything from the top down to get at it.
My rear end leaked too but the snapper salesman told me that there was already a bulletin out from snapper when i bought it that said when it quits leaking then it is at the level it needs to be. I guess peopl were filling it to the top and not supposed to. It takes like a 00 grease if i remember.

Dur

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old nodaker was right. The rearend will quit leaking or will not hurtanything. Just put a few oz of " OO " grease in each year and keep going.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:Welcome1: Jim thats a nice site and that is a heck of a collection. :fing32: Some of those i have never seen. I see we have a Snapper guru here now :fing32: Glad to have you aboard enjoy yourself here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jodyand said:
:Welcome1: Jim thats a nice site and that is a heck of a collection. :fing32: Some of those i have never seen. I see we have a Snapper guru here now :fing32: Glad to have you aboard enjoy yourself here.
I have several more just need to get pictures and get them posted. I really enjoy working with Snappers. Hope that I can be so help if anyone has any questions.

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
i cant beleive i've been here this long and missed this thread. :fing20:

my avatar pic is my 1999 snapper ive been mowing with since 2000 and i wouldnt trade it for anything!

ive also owned 2 older RER'S and many push mowers by snapper.

i'm currently building my "hot rod push mower" using a snapper 6sp self propelled mower for a base. you guy's should see it done sometime in spring.

ok back to my room... :hide:

·
bolens nut
339 Posts
I have an old snapper comet I am trying to get going. Anyone know what size deck belt I need for it?
I bought it at a yard sale for ten dollars, I hadn't really looked at snappers before but saw that it looked like a really well built old mower so bought it.
I took it to my shop and replaced the stator assembly and points/condensor and rebuilt the carb.
I can't believe parts are so readily available for that old 8 horse briggs.
The only things I have left to do is put a tube in one of the front tires and get a deck belt for it.
I plan on completely restoring it this winter, I will post pics.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts