My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to work on the wiring on my 1970 SS12, the battery is not receiving any charge from the starter/gen and I presume it to be a wiring fault some where along this 40yr old wiring.

What is the best way to get at the voltage regulator? through the underside or by pulling the engine?

Second goal is to pain the hood and gas tank because they are rusting and it won't take long and the gas tank will be too far gone.

I plan on using some Oliver clover white rattle cans to do this, any tips for painting these items or things to consider while painting these?

PS. thecraftsmankid does not know about this goal and this goal will make my tractor look that much better than his!:fing32: LOL Just messing with him.

:lalala::lalala::lalala: I can't hear you Austin! :hide::aetsch:

·
Registered
617 Posts
BILL,

My 1982 GTV 11 doesn't have a regulator--are you sure your machine has one?

Mine has a pair of output coils from the alternator: One feeds the headlights (only) and they get plain old AC. The other drives two circuits thru a rectifier diode: The lift motor, if installed, and the ignition switch: That switch either feeds the rectified voltage to the battery (in the ON position) for charging, or disconnects it in the OFF and START positions.

In any event, good luck and best 73!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
BILL,

My 1982 GTV 11 doesn't have a regulator--are you sure your machine has one?

Mine has a pair of output coils from the alternator: One feeds the headlights (only) and they get plain old AC. The other drives two circuits thru a rectifier diode: The lift motor, if installed, and the ignition switch: That switch either feeds the rectified voltage to the battery (in the ON position) for charging, or disconnects it in the OFF and START positions.

In any event, good luck and best 73!
In the 80s the engines used a regular starter. In the 70s, they used a starter/generator.
That needs a voltage regulator.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
The regulator is a pain to get at,but can be from underneath or though the side after removing the tin sheild and taking the drive belt off..its still pretty tough to get at--I'd label the wires or take a picture of it before dissconnecting any of them..

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
pulling the engine isnt bad. and gives great access. also, have polorized the gen?

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:fing32:they got it, sorry i went to bed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts