My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
OK Folks Lets See Your Pets and Stories How You Got Them

Well folks since we lost the stories on how we got our pets from the old site, I figure we might as well start over.
My wife and I have 2 dogs, Their names are Rocky a Springer Spaniel-Brittany mix bred who is 3 years old and Lady a Llasha-Jack Russell mix 6 years old. We got Lady when she was 2 years old from the King County Humane Society in Bellevue, Washington as a play companion for our pervious dog Nickie a purebred Brittany spaniel who pass away last from a spindle cell sarcoma (cancer)
When Nickie died from the cancer we acquied our newest addition Rocky from the same place as Lady at the King County Humane Society. Rocky is different from Nickie as in night and day but we love him alot where Nickie was a mellow easy going guy rocky is active and busy always on the go and happy to be running out in the yard BTW no fence will contain Rocky, He has already jumped the 6' wooden fence in the back yard after we were practicing hunting for birds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
We have 6. We have 4 miniature dachshunds (3F/1M), 1, Finnish SPitz/Chow mix (f), 1 German Shepherd (f).

The GSD was a victim of a divorice of a breeder, and this dog along with her litter mates went for a great deal of their early life unattended and abused. I got her when she wa approximately 7 months of age...........sort of timid but affectionate. She had internal parasites big time, and at 9 months of age she wsa diagnosed with canine hip displacia.........which we had fixed. Her name is Kira. Out of a litter of 9 pups she is the only survivor. She is 6 or 7 years of age IIRC...born Christmas day.

The Spitz was one of those part of the sale deals. I needed some dynamite, and the fellow that sold it, also had a litter of pups he wanted gone, so unless I took a pup I would not get the dynamite. (he would have sold me the stuff anyhow, but he was sort of a wheeler and dealer and when you looked at those little fur balls it was hard not to bring one home. Her name is Heidi, as she crawled up under my truck seat and we liked to have never got her out. She used to hide in dark places as a pup, and then pounce on you when you walked buy. Has a nose as good as any bloodhoud, and can track game to perfection. ONce she gets a scent on something she does not give up.

The wife has always been a fanatic of dachshunds. She had a black and tan that lived to age 14, and when it died, she wanted another. She found a miniature long hair female, and bought it. Her name is Spicey. She is a real clown and IMHO is part bird, cat, squirrel and very little canine.....The wife also bought a little male (Scooter) who we used for awhile to breed the little female. We had 4 litters of pups from Scooter and Spice, and the two other dachshunds we have are Spice and Scooters daughters, one from the 2nd breeding and one from the 3 breeding. One is a long hair female, named Sugar, and she lives up to her name, as she is just as sweet and affectionate, to ther point she is a pest. The other is a shorthaired female named Cricket, who is a typical dachshund, always digging and getting into trouble and can't sit still...........extremely hyper and hardheaded, but still a little sweetie. She was named after our original 14 year old who also was named Crickets. We have since decided to stop breeding the dachshunds and had Scooter fixed.

Between the 4 dachshunds, I do not need:
1 A tiller
2 Post hole digger
3 Shovels

I do need however:
A continuous supply do fill dirt to keep holes filled in.

The Spitz mix has never been a problem in any way, and has never been sick....getting close to 12 years of age now....

The GSD is/can/ be a bad a$$ if she senses your afraid of her, she will push you. I don;t think she would hurt you IF the wife or I was there, but she will definately try and intimidate you. HOwever if no one is there and you just happen to be where your not supposed to your in trouble for sure. She already has a "notch in her handle" from an encounter with a person that came into the house at night, while we were asleep. She tore up the dudes arm, stomach and face and hands pretty darn bad. Needless to say this fellow was not supposed to be in my house, so he wa also hauled off by the sherriff in addition to getting tore up by the dog. It cost me money to get the living room carpet cleaned of this dudes blood. I was also sued by him in court, but he lost.........The Judge commented, more folks need a dog like Kira, and we would not have half the problems in the county that we have.......Yes, Kira got to come to court, but never took the stand..and she behaved very well. The fellow that got tore up was found guilty of illegal entry of a residence, tresspassing, and intent to do harm as he had a knife, and was given 18 months jail time, plus a bunch of scars to remember his actions by. He had a record of breaking and entry and burglary. Only thing that kept him from getting a stiffer sentence was he did not break in, as we never lock the doors, he merely walked in at night, and was promptly greeted by Kira. Kira also only understands commands in German...........except for the word "Eat"

Sorry for long rant, but you asked for it and now you have it.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,459 Posts
I love dogs, but I'm not home enough to properly take care of a dog, so I have cats. My first cat when I moved in my new house 14 years ago was a free white with yellow spots male kitten. Spot was my only companion in the house for 4 years when he suddenly became ill and died within 24 hours. I still to this day do not know what happened to him. The local vet tried her best to save him and did an examination after he died and could not really find a cause. Just one of those things. After Spot died, I was putting the leftover cat food outside for the neighborhood kittys. There was one really beautiful black cat with blonde frosted tips on her fur (the only way I can describe the color) that I had hoped would be interested in hanging around, but she was WAY too skittish. But there was a female calico that would leave the food just to say Hi to me and rub against my legs. By this time I was married to a Filipina and the cat got named "Pusa" which means cat. So Pusa got adopted as my house cat. Little did I know that she was pregnant at the time. So eventually I had to find homes for (please excuse my spelling here) 2 kittens named Kayrol and Bagadat (Thunder and Lightning in my wife's language). I still have Pusa and have since aquired the neighbor's abandoned cat from when she moved away. That one is a neutered female that lived in my neighbor's yard for 11 years and never had been inside a house. It took me a year to actually get to pet that cat, but now she comes to me and eats her food on my back porch. I have tried to bring her inside the house, but she goes nuts when I do it, and my wife says "Get her out of here before she breaks something!" so Stripe lives outside. Stripe must have accepted me as she brings me her kills, and I have noticed a decline in the mouse population. Pusa's main talent is sleeping. I've had some great dogs in the past, but those are stories for another time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
We've got two dogs and two cats.

Lars is a lab mix and Shy is a Finnish Spitz mix, we think there's some Chow in him since he's got a purple tongue. We got them from a local shelter, they're both around 3 years old now, around 2 when we got them. Lars had spent his whole life in the shelter, it was pretty funny when we brought him home, he had no idea what carpet was. He was so scared to walk on it! Shy had been born at the shelter, but was later traded in for a puppy.

Otis and Thomas, (the cats), are my wife's. Otis is 18 years old now and will still play like a kitten. Thomas is around 9 or 10 and does not like my wife but he loves me, which drives my wife nuts.

Lars and Shy:

Otis:

Thomas:

·
Registered
415 Posts
My dogs

2 Dachshunds - Both male - Long hair (Simon) - rescued Short hair (Garfunkel aka "Funky") - bought
JRT - Female (Lucy) in the sky w/ diamonds - bought
Ole blue-eyed mutt (1/2 choc lab/1/2 blue heeler) (Macy)- neighbors lab got knocked up accidentally, I had to take one, she's good lil' dog.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Jeff are you sure that ole blue isn't my cousin larry???must be his twin ROF

Jeff said:
2 Dachshunds - Both male - Long hair (Simon) - rescued Short hair (Garfunkel aka "Funky") - bought
JRT - Female (Lucy) in the sky w/ diamonds - bought
Ole blue-eyed mutt (1/2 choc lab/1/2 blue heeler) (Macy)- neighbors lab got knocked up accidentally, I had to take one, she's good lil' dog.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Argee where are your barn cats?? Charlie and Alice eat them???? :trink11:

Argee said:

·
Off Hiatus.
1,123 Posts
i think most of us remember the dead gay neighbor story...and how i got his cat...any questions? I'll answer them..

here bianchi

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaah, no. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's my stray mix after my other one got a hold of em. 31 stitches in all. Recovered nicely and the "other one" is chained up for life.
edit: the white tubes are for drainage.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Animal rescuer and the few that stayed

I started out rescuing animals about 60 years ago and am still at it.
I have a 11 year old White German Shepherd (I actually bought him) and he was my guard dog (still a lean semi mean 80 pounds) when I lived in the city where the folks thought if you bought it, they could take it. I never lost anything after getting him and he has several major encounters to his credit including a home invader that almost lost all of his manhood when he tried to get in the house. He just had surgery to replace his cruciet ligament and is recouperating nicely. Since moving to the country he is in charge of looking after my shop, tractors and tools. He is still a force to be reckoned with but his doesn't get much practice since the folks around here are pretty great.

I have a 10 year old "Hound of the Baskervilles" (Jazzy) who is a 100 pounds of what was supposed to be a small puppy. Looks to be a cross between a Ridgeback Hound and Howard Huge. Someone moved out of the neighborhood and left her chained in the back yard when she was just a pup, so I took her to the vet (she had parvo) got her through that and she is now in charge of holding down all the couches, beds and chairs in the house.

A Border Collie mix (55 pounds) who was owned by a woman who kept it tied up in her garage for a year. When I found out about it I offered to take her but the woman said it was her buddy (albeit the dog was totally ignored and only fed 2-3 times a week) so I offered her money and when I hit $100.00 she decided to part with her best buddy. She (Angie) has to be in your lap or sitting on your toes or boots if you are sitting down.

A Dox/ Min Pin mix (Daisy) is 8 years old and was rescued from a yard on Christmas eve where she was chained in the snow with no water food or shelter, because the owners had a new baby and no time for the dog.
She was less than a year old and almost dead when I got to her. She rules the house and Fla. room and can hear anything happening in the kitchen.

3 Siamese cats (one left in a box on a busy highway) , 2 Siamese mix cats (one rescued from a fox who was preparing to have her for dinner). They have their own kitty room to play in when they aren't rooming the house

2 Peacocks who flew in several years ago and decided to stay. The male is crippled so I gave them a barn of their own and they have fresh water and food year around. They fly around the property and go back to the barn at night.

2 geese (one rescued from the butchers blade) and they keep the pond cleaned of weeds. They come around for a head rub and petting every day.

Those are the ones who are still here. Many others have come and gone over the years. Deer, racoons, turtles, dogs, cats, horses, goats, parrots,ducks, etc. If it needs help we do what we can by getting them healthy then finding them good, permanent homes.
:Welcome:

DUCK

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
and this is what my office looks like after blu has his way with it...

i dont know what prompted him.. but we were away one day.. and when he got back home.. he proceeded to take every toy he could find and bring them upstairs and drop them in my office...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts