My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My high pressure hyd oil pump is about out on my JD 2640 that has a loader on it , and I'm loosing hyd pressure for the whole tractor when the oil heats up and thins some. I was wondering if there is anything like a hyd oil thickener that i could put in there to keep the oil thick at high temp to just get the last few things done before we take of that pump to rebuild. I am running something like J20 plus or J20A plus oil from tractor supply in it right now. Any help would be appreciated!

·
21,369 Posts
Think about that one for a sec. If an additive can thicken hot fluid, what does it do to cold fluid?

Tar was the first thing that popped into my head.

I deal with thick fluid every time that I start my tractor in the winter. The loader is very slow with zero payload in the bucket until some heat is generated. Then it's just slow for a while until I work it enough to get the fluid up to a decent temperature.

A thought. Is the oil cooler in the rad? Radiators typically heat the fluid to 175-180°. Perhaps you might bypass the cooler to keep the temperature down, unless you're running a hydraulic motor. I know that my system doesn't get up to that temperature doing loader work, even on a hot summer day. The cylinders and the lines offer lots of heat rejecting surface area. If the tractor is idling for extended periods, cycle the cylinders full stroke periodically to exchange the relatively cool fluid in the cylinders for hot fluid from the reservoir.

It might help until you can get the pump rebuilt.

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know why i didn't think about that? but that sounds quite logical to me. I guess I just won't be able to get around rebuilding that pump for long! ? Thanks for clearing me up! Although It might work, i dont think I'll mess with the cooling system. I'll just go ahead and rebuild that pump. Thanks again!

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely. I still haven't rebuilt it yet, because I was reallly busy and did not need the tractor a lot. But its the next thing on my list. I'm gonna take it to some shop and let them do it cause i wouldn't be able to tell if it was worn.

But before i do that I've got to fix the hyd PTO engage lever. Looks like the valve is stuck in open position and i was thinking that possibly even a good pump would not be able to keep up with all hyd functions at once. Loader,pto, pwr steering, etc. So that has to get fixed first.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts