My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we all know when the John Deere tractor is the new, the "idiot" lights no doubt work very well. But, when the tractor gets 660 hours...like mine, it may be time to be more concerned about the what the engine is doing. Such as the oil pressure and water temperature as the engine is doing in the more hours it accumulates.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a oil pressure and temperature gauge so
I can monitor it more closely.
My question is... Can I add the oil pressure gauge (electrical type) to the present switch that is right above the oil filter on the 345 without adding additional piping? Also, is doing so, will I be able to have the Oil pressure gauge and "idiot" light independently?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out my post on the X340 gauges a few days back, it shows a pic with the plumbing for your setup, a short extension pipe with a tee fitting will work with your setup. I would use a mechanical gauge not electrical.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out my post on the X340 gauges a few days back, it shows a pic with the plumbing for your setup, a short extension pipe with a tee fitting will work with your setup. I would use a mechanical gauge not electrical.

I've read and followed your setup, BHBandit. Mind if I show the photo on how you did yours? Wanted more into installing a electrical oil pressure gauge than the old mechanical type. However, this may be the only way.

What type/size brass tee did you use? Also, the iron metal adapter?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You would not be able to use the existing oil pressure switch to signal a new gauge. The new gauge, if it's an electric gauge, should come with it's own pressure switch.
Not quite. The stock unit is a two position pressure switch...open or closed to turn on the oil light.

An electrical gauge will come with a matched sending unit (not a switch)...it changes resistance through a typical scale of 0 to 60 psi.

Cheers,

-Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Monitoring engine temperature can be tricky in an air cooled engine. You could put a sensor where the cooling air discharges from cylinder/head, but that would vary greatly based on outside air temp.

The best way would be to monitor the oil temp. That is the way VW and Porche provide an "engine temp".

As for the appropriate probe, and how and where to install it, I dont know. :sorry1:

-Chris

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input here. However, I have a water cooled engine, and the temperature sendor unit will be fitted into the lower hose as you see in my photo above. It is an electric sendor to the guage.

Back to the oil pressure matter, I will remove the factory oil switch. I will install a 1/8" NPT male brass nipple into the engine block, the other end of the brass nipple will also be 1/8" NPT male thread. From there I will adapt a 1/8" NPT female - 1/8" NPT female - 1/8" NPT female brass "T" fitting. This is where I will screw in the original factory Oil pressure and the new 1/8" male oil pressure switch sendor units.

I think this will work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for all the input here. However, I have a water cooled engine, and the temperature sendor unit will be fitted into the lower hose as you see in my photo above. It is an electric sendor to the guage.

Back to the oil pressure matter, I will remove the factory oil switch. I will install a 1/8" NPT male brass nipple into the engine block, the other end of the brass nipple will also be 1/8" NPT male thread. From there I will adapt a 1/8" NPT female - 1/8" NPT female - 1/8" NPT female brass "T" fitting. This is where I will screw in the original factory Oil pressure and the new 1/8" male oil pressure switch sendor units.

I think this will work.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out rrmccabe's thread here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=141683

I think it will answer some of your questions.
Forward look, I was admiring the way...rrmccabe installed his gauge kit. And I seriously thought about doing the same. But, in reality, I still would have some sort digital monitoring as the factory idiot lights. I like the dial needle on the old gauges to show me when there's any fluctuations in the oil pressure or water temperature.

Back in the earlier days when the automobiles went to the idiot lights, many would say, "when the idiot light came on, the engine was already toasted." I still believe that logic today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also used Teflon thread paste to seal the threads on all the fittings and do not overtighten the pipe that goes into the engine or you could crack the block. Good luck with your project. :fing32:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts