My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to put this one out for some other opinions....
What oil do you BX Guys use??? I am getting ready to change and do my 50 hr service soon...may change a little early due to running in dusty coonditions...
I really like Mobil One synthetic for all of the engines I have....I know NOTHING about the API Codes...the manual says to use at least a API CF Rating....I see on the Mobil one it has a SM/CF Rating....this is for 5w-30, 10w-30 and 15w-50 I have in my stock.
I wonder in my climate (Northeast Alabama) where temps are normally near 100f in summer with 50 to 70% Relative humidity and rarely below 20f in winter...what would be the best grade to use...I prefer to think a stift oil would be better in summer (thicker viscosity) I am "old school" and I find in the newer engines the old scchool is not the way they do things now days...any input from you folks will be greatly appreciated...The Dealer was no help other than to say use whatever I wanted as long as it meets the CF or better...and how do you tell if it is "Better"...is CG, CH, CI a better standard than CF ot is it opposite of this??? Man!!!!
Thanks for any help you all can offer....T

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I have a similar climate in East Texas and I use Mobile one 10W-30W.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
How about Rachel Ray's favorite EVOO??

·
Registered
115 Posts
T126,
Nothing in the world wrong wiith the 10w30 M1. I personally like the heavier diesel oils and use 15w40 John Deere Plus 50 oil. I have found at least locally that all the Kubota dealers use 15w40 oil if they service your BX. A lot of guys really like the rotella T or Dello 400 15w40 and the 5w40 Rotella synthetic oil. Use a good diesel rated oil and service it on time with a filter change and you should be fine.
Take care-TPS

·
Rich in RI
83 Posts
I like Rotella T or Rotella T Synthetic. It's what a lot of the big diesel tractor trailers use, at least around here. Walmart has it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who wrote...I do prefer the synthetics to dino oil...I have "Proven" syn to myself several times over...for instance, my Daddy had an old 250ci Chevy...1980 model in a Pick up ...using a gallon of oil and a quart of gas....I changed the oil in it and put 10w 30 mobil one regular synthetic...I had a Corvette at that time and used it in the vette...well to my and his amazment the old 250 stopped drinkin' ...DRANKIN' as we say here in Bama...the oil! I mean literally stopped it from using oil! I imagine the Synthetic stays on the parts and lubricates so much better under extreme conditions to the pint it "fills in the gaps" from wear.
I think I will use either Mobil one or Shell Rotella synthetic. I use the 15w-50 in the tranny of my 3186 Cub Cadet and it does great on it...all hydro Garden Tractor...just not hardly strong enough to plow with...
How about the tranny and hydro oils ....is anyone using a different brand or type that Kubota UDT???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Guys... I see Mobil One has a "Diesel Specific" oil in the 5w 40 grade...is anyone using this?? I am leaning toward this...any opinions?? Thanks To all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
OK Guys... I see Mobil One has a "Diesel Specific" oil in the 5w 40 grade...is anyone using this?? I am leaning toward this...any opinions?? Thanks To all.
Was using Mobil one in my L3130 from new,no problems but the price of Mobil one has gotten so high even at Walmart I'm now useing Rottela T synthetic and have no problems. In my truck and car I'm useing Castrol Syntec with no problems. Mobil One down sized there jug and up sized the price, It's good just not that good.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I use the Kubota branded oil(s) myself but to answer your original question, the higher the alphabetical designation, the newer and most times better the oils rating is. i.e. CE is better than CD and CF is better than CE etc. The reason why I indicated "most times" is because of the introduction of ULSD fuels.

According to my manual, my BX23 (2004 model) should be serviced w/ either a CD, CE or CF rating (which were about obsolete when the manual was printed btw) and the Kubota branded 10w30 I use has a CI-4 Plus rating. It is backwards capatable to CD so no problemo.

ULSD fuel (which is all we can get now) shouldn't be used in an engine w/CF-4 or CG-4 rated oils and if it is used the oil should be changed sooner.

Clear as mud? :D

In any case, if the oil you're wanting to use meets the listed specs and is backwards capatable, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is what I used in my previous tractor, B3030 and now my GL3240.

They basically have Delvac 1
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_5W-40.asp

and Turbo Diesel Truck
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

I have never found Delvac 1 for sale anywhere but the TurboDiesel Truck oil (which is supposedly the same as Delvac 1) is available sometimes at Walmart and always at http://www.advanceautoparts.com/

Be careful not to purchase the Delvac 1300 oil as that is dino oil not synthetic. Walmart did carry that.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use the Kubota branded oil(s) myself but to answer your original question, the higher the alphabetical designation, the newer and most times better the oils rating is. i.e. CE is better than CD and CF is better than CE etc. The reason why I indicated "most times" is because of the introduction of ULSD fuels.

Clear as mud? :D

Thanks V...This is what I've always wondered about as the API ratings change so much...especially in the last 20+ years.
I am getting ready to service the BX1860 soon...40+ hrs and some of it very dusty. The engine oil is very Dark...diesel will get darker faster and I realize that. I have always been in overkill as far as servicing an engine goes. For instance when Manf. said to change oil at 3000 I changed it at 2K to 2,500. It has served me well and the oil comp too I suppose. Even now with using the Synthetic M-1 in my Trucks and cars I still change it before the reccomended 7,000...usually at 5K. I use the 15,000 mile oil in a GMC Envoy I have and used to drive from Alabama to Indiana every week. I was working there as a consultant. I have run this oil for 12K before changing it. I did change the filter at 5K until I spoke to a M-1 rep ... said as long as I used M-1 filters it was not nescessary....I change it at 5K now and use the regular M-1 (unless I can get the extended at the same price...Auto Zone and Advance run sales for 5 qt and filter for $29.99 at times with no diff in the type).
Thanks for ll the great info. I respect other peoples opinions and what they have gone through with engines/trannies and such. I never say never when it comes to mechanicing....:praying:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good informative read. :thThumbsU
I appreciate this post....I read this and have looked for Delvac here. Not been able to find it so far. I may have to order it or, go with the M-1 Diesel 5w-40 I mentioned earlier. Thanks to all who have put in their $10 worth (two cents worth has been taken away by inflation)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was using Mobil one in my L3130 from new,no problems but the price of Mobil one has gotten so high even at Walmart I'm now useing Rottela T synthetic and have no problems. In my truck and car I'm useing Castrol Syntec with no problems. Mobil One down sized there jug and up sized the price, It's good just not that good.
I agree, M-1 has gotten too high. But, I have used it for many years with no problems and feel as if it has extended the wear on the engines I put it in. As long as I can "afford it" I will continue to use it.
I should look at the technical info on the Shell Synthetic and compare it...not that it really is accurate but then again....
I used the Rotella T Synthetic in the tranny on my Cub 3186...in fact, Hydro Gear recommends 15w-50 M-1 ... I put it in the last time...but used shell before with no probs.
Here at Wal-Mart they have the 5 qt "jugs" at $23.00... and the Extended for $28.00 for the 5 qt Jug....
I will buy up several changes if I can catch it on sale at Advance or the Zone. Zone has a deal now for $29.99 5 qt and M-1 filter....that is usually how I buy and stock up.
Thanks for all this great info!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to let everyone know what "I did"...I am going with Mobil One Synthetic 10w-30. And Kubotas high priced filter. After the warranty is out I will use WIX or M-1 filters. I have 48 hrs on it now and will do the service this week hopefully....Thanks to all. I am still debating the Hydro oil question and will "do something" soon as well...T

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HA! It NEVER FAILS... gonna change the engine oil today . Liked to never got the drain plug loose. Had to get a Pull Handle with 14mm socket to get the thing loose! Now the goodie...yep, you guessed it. Can't get the filter off. SOOOO now I gotta drive 30 miles to town and get a filter wrench...might as well get one for the tranny filter too as I don't have one that fits either one. I have 8 different filter wrenches and none will fit any of the Kubota filters. My Luck.
I bet everyone has this same problem. The factory uses air wrenches to tighten the filters at the factory...over tighten and be done with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

UPDATE: No filter wrench to be found here for either one of the cartridge filters for engine and tranny. I did find a "Jim Dandy" wrench to remove the filters that are overtightened. It works very well. I used an old band type to tighten the filters a little more than hand tight.
I changed my mind again and went with the Mobil one 10w-40 synthetic. I believe that the 40 will do a better job in this awfull heat/humidity. I did the entire 50hr service this afternoon. Took my time and got it done in about 4 hrs. (I know that was a looong time but like I said I took my time...allowed the oil to drin for an hour).
OK I will shut my mouth for awhile and stop whinning about the oil and tranny oil. I did bite my tongue and grit my teeth and put the regular udt that the dealer recommended. I agree that it is "Purdy Oil" and has a certain stickyness (sticky mess I should say)...but $85.00 is a bit steep for regular DINO oil. Next time will definately be different as the warranty will probably be out then.
I am outta here. Good evening to all....T126

1 - 18 of 18 Posts