My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Don,

Would it be better to run a 5w40 or 15w40 that is CJ-4 than to run a 10w30 that is not? Our 1523 was built June 2007, and I cannot seem to find a 10w30 synthetic that is CJ-4. MF calls for 10w30, but a minimum of CC, guess they need to update the manuals.
Does Amsoil make a CJ-4 10w30, and just how good is the 5w40? Will I have any warranty issues? Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Will !
My choice for any Diesel engine that does not require a CJ4 oil is
Amsoil HDD 5W30 CI4+ diesel oil year round.
If you have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) you must use a CJ4 oil to maintain your warranty and to prevent deposits on the DPF.
The new CJ4 oils have backed out of using phosphorus and zinc anti wear additives as they cause deposits on the DPF and catalytic convertors, the new additives that replace them are advertized as "better", however the ASTM wear test reveal the true performance, and while they perform ok they fall short of perfoming as well as the old CI4+ oils when it comes to wear.
The new oils have also backed out of sulfated ash content, again to protect against deposits on the DPF and catalytic convertors.
Sulfated ash is part of what makes up the Total Base Number (TBN) of the oil, TBN is responsible for neutralizing acids that form in the oil by mixing with the acids as they form to raise the P.H. to a neutral state where it cannot damage the metals in the engine.
CJ4 diesel oils have a TBN of 8 to 10 on brand new oil, Amsoil CI4+ oils have a TBN of over 12, higher TBN usually allows for longer drain intervals.
Most Major oil companies only offer the new CJ4 oil, they have taken away the choice from the consumer, and lets face it they are not all that interested in educating the consumer, Amsoil is all about educating the consumer, so long as the consumer is interested in learning.
Here is a link to Amsoil diesel oils, each oil has a spec sheet that lists ASTM test results, Pay attention to TBN and 4 ball wear test on Amsoil's CI4+ and CJ4 synthetic oils, there is a difference.
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-diesel-motor-oil-engine-oil?zo=531421
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
whats a good oil for ford powerstroke diesel 7.3L ?
Greetings Edward !
Were it my truck I would use Amsoil HDD 5W30 diesel oil along with the Amsoil synthetic media 25,000 mile or 12 month oil filter # EaO99.
I have local trucking and school bus fleets using HDD 5W30 along with oil analysis in extended drain intervals currently up to 60,000 + miles with minimal wear.
You could also use Amsoil AME 15W40 diesel and marine oil, however the HDD 5W30 usually picks up 3 % to 5% better fuel economy, and offers the same wear protection as the 15W40.
Have a great day !
Don:thThumbsU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts