My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. So two weeks ago, my wife and I purchased a Cub 2550. We put about 5 hours on it before we had issues this weekend. This weekend I went to check the oil (for the first time) and noticed the factory oil showed low on the dip stick. Knowing that the original oil is a "break in" fluid that Cub puts in new motors, I didn't want to mix regular 10w-30 with this so I went ahead and drained the oil at the 5hr mark and replaced the filter and filled the motor with 10w-30.

My wife mowed for 45 mins on flatter ground and had no problems. Later the motor started shutting off on the hill sides and the oil light would come on. It did this several times. I checked the oil numerous times. It was hard to get a good reading since the new oil was so clear. We even let the mower sit for 45 min and checked the oil again.

Tried mowing again and the motor was giving us the same trouble. I finally said "OK" let's add a little more oil. I added not quite a 1/4 quart. Turns out that over filled the motor and it start smoking badly. Crap!! I shut it down right away and pushed it back to the garage. I drained all of the oil again and replaced with new. I was extremely accurate in how more I put in. I started it up and let the oil burn off that was caused by my over fill problem.

Ran the mower again. Still had the motor shut off problem and oil light issue. Finally called the dealer (probably should have done this sooner) I started guessing that the issue is the oil pressure sensor that works with the Sentry system. The dealer thought the same. So now it is back in the shop.

I am going to have the plugs replaced, since I figure they are probably oil fowled. I am really hoping that I didn't wreck the motor with that the little over fill incident. I think the sensor was playing some mean tricks on my. It was a rough weekend with the new mower. I'll keep you posted as to what the dealer finds. Hopefully nothing serious.

splinter84

·
Registered
443 Posts
You will continue to have the same problem on hillsides. Figure out where the sensor is in the engine base and try to keep the oil on that side. The other problem you may have is whether the mowing angle is steep enough to starve the engine of oil. The oil pickup may not be in the oil.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'm not a Cub person, but it does sound to me like it is a sensor problem.

I wouldn't worry about that little bit of overfill. It would take a lot more than that and running a lot longer than that to do serious damage to the engine.

My opinion is that all will be well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will continue to have the same problem on hillsides. Figure out where the sensor is in the engine base and try to keep the oil on that side. The other problem you may have is whether the mowing angle is steep enough to starve the engine of oil. The oil pickup may not be in the oil.
Thanks for the reply. The interesting thing is, this isn't a long hill climb. It is a 30 ft stretch. It doesn't take long to climb. Hopefully it is just a sensor fail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a Cub person, but it does sound to me like it is a sensor problem.

I wouldn't worry about that little bit of overfill. It would take a lot more than that and running a lot longer than that to do serious damage to the engine.

My opinion is that all will be well.
Appreciate the re-assurance DJ. I have never over filled a motor before, so I was a bit worried. Thanks again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
sounds like its time to call that dealer and see about the warrenty.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
ya, my hills are anywhere around 23-28 degrees sideways mowing and I've got some a little steep that I can go up and down and I've NEVER had an issue in 116 hours with the oil or any lights outside of the reminder light blinking. Hopefully it's something simple like that. The thing about engine issues is that you can't really fault CC about that. That's a Kohler issue...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, my hills are anywhere around 23-28 degrees sideways mowing and I've got some a little steep that I can go up and down and I've NEVER had an issue in 116 hours with the oil or any lights outside of the reminder light blinking. Hopefully it's something simple like that. The thing about engine issues is that you can't really fault CC about that. That's a Kohler issue...
Right. I don't blame CC at all for this. I really like the ride of the tractor. My wife likes it more than I do! She said we should have bought a decent GT a long time ago.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the oil sending unit is faulty. CC has a TSB out for it. Just want to make others aware if anyone else is having issues with a '10 CC 2550. Should be getting the GT back on Wednesday. See how it goes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you find anything else about the TSB, I'd be interested in hearing it. I have '10 GT2544 which has the same engine as the GT2550.

Glad to see the dealer is addressing the problem for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you find anything else about the TSB, I'd be interested in hearing it. I have '10 GT2544 which has the same engine as the GT2550.

I'll see if they can provide me a copy of the TSB. I won't be able to scan it, but I can do a "word for word" on here to my best ability to help you out.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
you don't like typing that much? :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
splinter you'll be OK once that sensor is replaced. We cut a 40* slope sideways with no oil shut off problems at all...

...surprised your air filter cartridge didn't plug up with oil that has happened to us on the 1440 the few times it was overfilled...that is if you quickly idle down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is all this talk aboot not cutting on slopes????? I hardly have a level place in the entire yard! I figure if I can stay in the seat and the rubber side stays down, I'm good!!! I have had a rear tire lift off the ground on occasion, but luckily she settles back down! LOL

I figure if the slopes get too steep, ya just gotta get yer speed up! LOL Leaning towards the uphill side helps too.

NASCAR will teach us this.

Oh, and another thing I found out while cutting around the steep edges of the pond....these machines don't float too well either!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
splinter you'll be OK once that sensor is replaced. We cut a 40* slope sideways with no oil shut off problems at all...

...surprised your air filter cartridge didn't plug up with oil that has happened to us on the 1440 the few times it was overfilled...that is if you quickly idle down.
I checked the air filter once we finally got the lawn done. Lots of starts and stops because of the oil thing. There was no build up on the filter that I could see. I only ran it for a few minutes before it started smoking, then ran it to burn of the remaining oil after draining and putting in new stuff. I will pull the air cleaner again and take a better look when it comes back.

Thanks for everyone's input on my problem. This is a very knowledgeable forum (if that makes sense). The help is very appreciated.

splinter84

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You know... you could always swap out that Kohler for a little Yanmar or Perkins diesel. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Got the mower back yesterday. The dealer had it for 10 days. I guess there was no TSB for my issue, but the dealer used Cub technical services to assist with the troubleshooting. Here is the low down on what they did.

They replaced the oil pressure sensor and sending unit. They performed an oil pressure test and the test was fine. The oil pressure tested very well. They also replaced the oil with 10W-30 since I had tried 10w-40 at one time. There was never an oil pressure problem to begin, which is a good feeling. It sounded like the problem still existed after replacing the mechanical parts, so they thought maybe it was an electrical issue. They combed the electrical circuit and re-greased all electrical fittings etc. I think they were checking for shorts or poor connections. They tested the mower on hills for an hour or so and could not reproduce the problem. They informed me that if the trouble comes back they are going to replace the LED in the dash.

They performed a pretty thorough inspection. Maybe the trouble was a combination of things. I don't know for sure. I mowed last night for a couple of hours and had no problems. I'll be keeping the fingers crossed for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts