My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for info on this and couldn't find anything. If I missed a thread, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Situation: 1955 Ferguson TO35 gas engine had an oil gusher at a coupling in the line that I think runs to the oil pressure gauge. The line attaches to the right side of the engine with a 90 degree elbow fitting that screws into the block.

Since the oil pressure gauge has never worked as long as I've owned the tractor, this is probably a good time to replace it and the line that's leaking.

I'm looking for any instructions on doing this, and advice on anything I need to be careful of while replacing the gauge and the line that runs down to the engine.

ETA: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the leak was caused by battery acid leaking down onto that coupling last year. It finally gave out, so simply tightening the coupling won't work. Too much pitting in the line.

Thanks!

Here are a couple pics:

Close up:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I put the new elbow fitting in the side of the block, do I need to wrap the threads with anything or will it seal itself up? Any info would be appreciated.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,448 Posts
Howdy!! The 'compression' fitting you installed on that line is a disaster waiting to happen. Disassemble it and install a a flared (looks like 3/16") union. (You do own a flaring kit? If not they are cheap @ HF or borrow one..) Install the union and clean up the area & monitor for more trouble.. Also install a flared 90 degree to pipe thread (1/8"?) and use pipe tape (at least 3 turns/layers) to seal the threads-to-block connection.

Here endeth the lesson.. :goodl:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm replacing the entire line with 1/8" copper. That fitting has been on the tractor ever since we bought it about 15 years ago. I guess we're lucky it didn't completely blow out and spray one of us with scalding hot oil.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
DO NOT use copper, go and get a steel brake line. They are already flared and have the 1/4" fittings on them. Vibration will cause the copper crack and fail.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JohnW. I didn't know that about the copper. I'll head to the auto parts store for the steel brake line tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the steel brake line. It will do alot better with oil and especially the rough ride. If you could get a long enough piece with the ends already flared and everything you could just bend it and fit it on the tractor all in one shot. Depends on what your local autoparts store has.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the line running from the old coupling to the block looked fine, I left it as is. So I replaced the forward section with a steel brake line and put a new coupling on. That's the same setup we've had for the last 15 years, so I think it'll hold.

The new oil pressure gauge, which I bought from Steiner, felt pretty flimsy (I guess that shouldn't be surprising since it only cost $14). So flimsy that just after I installed it, it rained and water got into it. It still works, but there's condensation in it now. I've got a question about proper oil pressure, but I'll put that in a new thread.

Thanks for the advice given in this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts