My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had jacked the front of my 122 up to replace the bearings in the front wheels. Came in today to find oil all over the ground, It appears to be transaxle fluid but I am not sure why or where it would come from. The mower is sitting on jack stands at the moment so it’s not high. How do I check and replace the oil if that’s what it is and what kind should I use? Thanks

·
1,766 Posts
You gotta find out for sure what it is/where it came from first.

Wipe or wash it down and investigate further, report.

:trink39:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the ball holder to repaint it but put the screws back in. It’s coming from the back and smells funky. It did not leak when level

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Depending on how high you have the front, it's possible the oil could have come out a vent of a transaxle (if there isn't some other place where fluid expansion can take place).

·
1,766 Posts
Personally I'm wondering if that's an attachment I want, for rough terrain...? :tango_face_devil:

But yes Traumajunkie a little better info or a picture might be useful... do you mean a trailer ball?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ronin you truly just made my day, I do have a buddy at the station that swears by a pair of underwear that cups his nuts ???... but back to the tractor. I removed the plate that holds the ball to pull a trailer or what not. Was going to repaint the front wheels so jacked the tractor up and put jack stands down at the lowest setting.. this is what I came into find.. by the way this stuff smellllllls so bad!!!

Attachments

·
1,766 Posts
Glad you got a chuckle. :trink39:

I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of those pictures but did you disturb any gaskets or seals? Maybe with that rust there you inflamed a problem waiting to happen.

Something something removed the low hanging fruit... I need to behave... :kens:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure about the seal as all I did was remove the 3 bolts at the bottom and take the ball/hitch mount off. How do I check and add oil to the rear end? I can’t find anything through the forum. What kind of pictures do you need? The first pic is the oil that dropped on the ground, the second is the general area where the oil is coming from /the mount I took off and the third pic is from under the rear end

·
1,766 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular machine but *generally* a square hole pipe plug like that means you fill it there until it starts to run out. Ie. level with the bottom of the hole and it's full.

And how the plate is bolted on there tells me there must be a gasket between it and that reservoir tank. I'm guessing that seal got disturbed when you pulled the hitch.

'Stinky' could mean gear oil but I dunno... Hopefully over the weekend someone will chime in with further insight.

Is it still leaking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts