My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 26 year old 5000 watt Generac generator that has a Tecumseh HM100 159436P engine that was manufactured in 1992 with 460 hrs on it. I recently went to change the air filter and noticed that it had some oil on it and a small amount of oil had also collected on the bottom of the air filter housing as well. Aside from this recent oil issue the engine and generator run perfectly.

I was thinking it was most likely a tired reed valve or a clogged drain hole in the breather assembly. I wanted to get some input before I started taking things apart. Am I going in the right direction or should I be checking something else? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

·
Jack of All Trades Guru!
334 Posts
Valves leaking, valve guides worn, worn piston rings, blown head gasket. Plenty of things for crankcase pressure to make oil be drawn into the breather hose. May be time for a new engine, or at the least a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
1,766 Posts
I dunno... with only 460hrs I'd think the engine might well still be sound.

As long as it's running good and not drinking oil I'd clean it up and see what happens.

·
Parts collector
2,777 Posts
If it's not dripping out keep running it.

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
FWIW, I had an old Tecumseh HH60 that would literally pour oil out of the air filter. I replaced the breather (reed I think), and totally cured the problem.

That said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But even if it does get worse, don't jump to the conclusion that the engine is toast.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Mike

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Make sure the dipstick tube seal is good. I haven't seen a Tecumseh do it but had a vanguard twin that spit a lot of oil into air cleaner assembly until I fixed the o-ring at the bottom.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all your thoughts, it is very much appreciated. After taking another look at the engine my gut tells me it's most likely the breather assembly. To replace all the parts is less then $15.00. I figured for $15.00 it's worth giving it a try and see if that solves the issue. Not going to give up on the old Tecumseh just yet...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give an update. After installing the new breather assembly I am no longer getting oil in the air filter. It appears the old breather assembly was the cause. Thanks to all for your input, it was very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
You're welcome! Thanks for posting the follow-up.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts