My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my JD 325 with a overhauled 17 HP Kawasaki engine. The dealer say's ONLY JD oil is to be used in this engine. They sounded hysterical
in that automotive oil in any shape or form would be destructive to the engine! Is this a sales pitch to buy only JD oil or is there merit to "their" sales pitch? Thanks for your input I do want this 325 to last a long time.
rock creek

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Did the dealer do the overhauling and require the use of JD oil for warranty purposes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The JD dealer did overhaul the engine. Will have to ask the manager if using a different oil voids the warrenty. They did say the warrenty is for 90 days and I should change the oil after 5 hrs running time on the overhauled motor.
rock creek:thanku:

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Depends on if you want to be able to bust the dealer's cookies down the road. If you intend on consistently using them for service I'd use JD oil per their recommendation and keep the receipts and records of every oil change. Then if you have a problem down the road you can wave your service history and say you followed their instructions. Total cost differential over the life of the mower can't be that much.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Use the JD oil for the 90-day period (with might be your break-in period anyway) then switch to 10w-30 synthetic. It's the best thing you can do for any air-coolded engine. It will lower the operating temps versus dino oil.

JD oil is good oil, but you can run anything in that engine. The biggest deal is just to keep oil in it, and keep it changed regularly.

·
Registered
833 Posts
AGREE with Engine Tech 100%,
- synthetic oil after the break-in period is best (cylinder & rings are worn in / conditioned with dino oil, to prevent blow by, on fresh engines)

I use Mobile-1 10w-30 syn. year round, in an Onan twin (18 year old original). Synthetic oil is superior - winter or summer.
My new 17 HP Kawasaki (1 year old engine) will be switched to synthetic, on the next oil change.
I even run synthetic 10w-30 in all my old 4 stroke push mowers. Never a problem. Usually Pennzoil, only because I can purchase it on a good sale $$.
--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stopped by the JD dealership that did the overhaul. What a hassle ,the parts guy at the counter bought out JD 10-30 w oil and straight 30 weight. I asked him what is the best for a newly overhauled engine. He would not commit he kept saying over and over either one is fine. With temps outside at 106 degrees what would you recommend for this new motor! One more thing talk about being CHEAP I asked since I spent over $3,000.00 for all this work how about a John Deere hat? No can do that is a purchased item we do not give away hats for free. Do not think I will be taking my business there after warranty expires!:thanku: rock creek

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is a link that will show you that John Deere oil is made by Chevron/Texaco.The[/url] viscosity of oil is the same no matter the brand.If its 10w30 in John Deere oil,its the same thickness in Pennzoil.John Deere doesnt own an oil refinery,so they get Chevron Texaco to make their engine oil and Hy-gard transmission oil as shown by the material safety data sheet that I pasted.
John Deere Turf Gard™ Motor Oil 5W-30, 10W-30
Product Use: Engine Oil
Product Number(s): CPS240229, CPS240369
Synonyms: John Deere Turf Gard™ Motor Oil 10W-30, John Deere Turf Gard™ Motor Oil 5W-30/10w-30
Company Identification
Chevron Products Company
Global Lubricants
6001 Bollinger Canyon Rd.
San Ramon, CA 94583
United States of America
www.chevronlubricants.com
Transportation Emergency Response
CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300 or (703) 527-3887
Health Emergency
Chevron Emergency Information Center: Located in the USA. International collect calls accepted. (800) 231-0623 or (510) 231-0623
Product Information
email : [email protected]

·
Registered
259 Posts
i would never put any 10w-30 whatever in my mowers,use only 30w,that other stuff is to thin,maybe ok for newer engines but it says right on the sticker on motor to use 30w,it's a no brainer,i use rotella 30w and some of my older engines get 15-40 rotella,i swear by them

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If running dino oil, pick 30wt over 10w-30. The 10w-30 will provide the same protection, but it tends to evaporate more than 30wt and thus you'll have some oil consumption.

If running syn, then 10w-30 is fine.

·
Banned
587 Posts
I would say, "the dealer was good enough to charge you $3,000.00 for a rebuilt engine, was good enough to tell you to purchase their Hy-Guard 5W-50W at $4.00 qt. the next time you need to change it." I would do that for the 90 days they will warranty the rebuild. After that, go buy you some Pennzoil 5W-50W at happy Wally Wonderful World for $2.80 qt. Same stuff, will not find any better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts