My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a auto oil filter for my GT. I thinking just as long as the rubber oil seal is the same size,,it will work. Am I correct or is there more to it??

Seems like my s-10 pick-up filter is the same size as many LT filters. And I get one for free when I buy a gal of oil. So I have a shelf full of them.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Napa 1348
WIX 51348

Thats whats supposed to be used..what number is yours?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Napa 1348
WIX 51348

Thats whats supposed to be used..what number is yours?
I have no idea at the moment. Seems like I get a different brand filter with a different number every time I get one.
And ,with out looking I do not know the number on the LT. But its possible these filters could be the same size for many different LT's,, GT's.

It would be nice to have a chart of different LT filters coverted .

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Small engines only use like 4 diff filters...1348 for Briggs and Kohler, one for Kawasaki, one for push mowers, and one for Generacs....thats "just about" it...except for like "long life" filters that are an inch longer..lol

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small engines only use like 4 diff filters...1348 for Briggs and Kohler, one for Kawasaki, one for push mowers, and one for Generacs....thats "just about" it...except for like "long life" filters that are an inch longer..lol
I did not know that.

Then a feller could buy about 3 filters from auto zone,, for the price of 1 in the garden section .

Briggs and Kohler are the same?? NAPA-1348?? How do I covert this to Fram or Purolater? I have several of these for my s-10 but do not know the numbers right now.

I'm not really interested in kawasaki or push mowers. Don't deal with them much.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
okay, did some looking up...

1348 WIX is the filter for like, most all briggs singles and twins that have one, its a longer filter, would be uqual to the old "yellow Ex Life" filters. Fits Kohler Courage engines, and Kohler Singles

Wix 7035 is the stubby little short filter, also fits briggs engines, and kawasaki engines.

Wix 1056 is kinda between the above 2 in length, fits Briggs, Kohler singles and twins, and kawasakis

WIX 1394 also fits briggs, but mainly used for larger Kawasakis...

Thouroughly confused yet?

The trick is, they all share 2 important, vital things in common...3/4-16 threads, and an 8-11psi blow off valve...and they are replicas, exactly in diamter, and construction, of the OEM filters used by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Wix 1348 = Purolator L10241
Wix 7035 doesent seem to cross
Wix 1056= Purolator L35310
Wix 1394= Purolator L14476

Fram isn't worth mentioning

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great info. (im not too confused,,but Im not sure what WIX is)

I am going to test this info today. Out of them all ,,,I think wix1056/purolater L35310 is my first option/test filter. It's the right size and common for the most.

I am going to check the prices on all of the above first. And if all cheap in cost,,,I am going to buy 1,,, for now,,,(1056 if priced right.)

And when I say buy 1,,I mean buy a gallon of oil and get a filter,,of my choice for free.----------->Auto zone or Auto Works.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Wix is a brand of oil filter owned by the Affinia corporation.. Napa and Carquest filters are made by Wix, but they also sell under there own Wix label.. Napa gold is wix premium ( high quality with cloth element ) and all I use.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
napa Gold, Purolator, and K&N is all I use....

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts

True... Fram has been junk ever since the 90s. I like Wix/Napa (be careful as some are made in China these days, I avoid those), but use Hastings/Baldwin filters. Amsoil filters are Wix filters made to Amsoil specs, not sure what is different about them.

Purolators are good. KN oil filters are good but are overpriced. I don't recall who they are made by. I think- think- Bosch. See link below for actual data.

I did manage to find the link that explains all of this...
Oil Filters Explained

·
Registered
178 Posts
lf157 hastings
lf384 hastings
lf134 hastings
b343 baldwin
bt223 baldwin
b159 baldwin

51516 wix
51348 wix

That should keep you going for a while

W

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Can't find the maker of oil filter you want? Try ebay. I got a dozen Baldwin B2 filters for about $30 from an industrial surplus place. (They're for my Jeep... they're larger than factory spec filters as I did some looking around comparing part numbers and such to find a filter with more filter media) I'd search (brand of filter) and (part number). Going by application (simplicity tractor oil filter) will normally bring up all kinds of stuff, including sewing patterns.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I also avoid the orange can of death, but..... I recommend the Fram Xtended Guard filters to anyone who'll listen. Check Fram's website for details.

Plus, Fram has a really good cross-reference on their catalog site.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What is wrong with Fram? That is all I run and I have had good service out of them. I also like Fram air and fuel filters. BUT, I always buy their top of the line filter so maybe that is the difference, filters are cheap insurance. I also run Champion spark plugs with good results; but all I buy is the real copper core plugs.

Joe

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Fram filters for the most part use a cardboard ring at the bottom to hold the pressure, most other brands use a metal ring. If the ring fails, it results in loss of oil pressure. The cardboard rings have been known to blow on Frams, and have been directly linked to oil pressure issues.. Many engine builders will not warranty an engine with a Fram filter... I'v seen and heard about the Xtended Guard but never bought 1 to check out. Wix is just a no brainer for me.. Maby 1 day I'll inspect the construction of an Xtended guard and see if there worth trying

·
Registered
289 Posts
I usually use a Mobil 1 filter for my truck - its a painful decision tho at $13 each. Dont know that they make one for small engines tho ?

Myself I think i'll just grab OEM filters... walmart carries Briggs and Stratton filters as well as Kohler filters. Lots of farm supply stores will carry alot too. Even my auto parts store has OEM Kohler/Briggs filters.

I hate their cost tho I think its $10 for a Kohler filter...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't mind spending 8 bucks on a napa oil filter beats 15 on a Kohler one. Still wondering why a car filter is half the money like yourself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts