My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil filter that I installed on my Craftsman Pro 24hp ELS V-twin leaked a little at "finger tight plus a 1/4 turn", so I had to add a 1/2 turn to snug it up. Now I went to do an oil/filter change after 25 hours and the filter is on so tight that it disfigured and then my trusty rubber strap wrench broke whilst applying steady pressure to try and free it up. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a type of filter wrench to recommend since I have to replace mine anyway? Mind you, I even put on the taller filter so that it would be easier to get the wrench on at changing time.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
I have to use channel locks every time I change oil in my Toyota truck. You can also fashion a tool with a leather belt and strip of wood. loop the belt around filter, use wood for leverage. Last resort is the "Bang a large screwdriver through the whole filter" trick but that is a real mess.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Run the engine for 30 minutes to get the oil/seals hot? I remember my factory tightened filter never budged until the engine was hot..

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I use a set of pliers designed for oil filters.

While this is not the same as what I have, the design is very similar and I really like the looks of these:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-748-channellock-215.aspx

Made by Channel-Lock too. They would have to be good. Price is good too considering that they would last you a lifetime, more than likely.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I always thought you should run the engine anyway, so that the oil would flow easier... as for a filter wrench - I use the one that fits the flat spots on the filter. The one that you use with a ratchet wrench. It works very well.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I use a metal banded oil filter wrench on my cars and trucks and it fits most small engine oil filters, but there are ones that are too small in diameter. On those I use Channellock pliers, but I want to get the "socket" type that fits on the exposed end of the filter like a socket wrench and is designed to grap the filter on the flats around the end. Be aware that there are a few different sizes, so if you go that route, get the right size for yor application.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call on the Channelocks! It never occurred to me that they would open wide enough. I clamped them on and the filter loosened with the first effort. Thanks!

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Channel locks, or a long screwdriver, and a hammer work everytime.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Last resort is the "Bang a large screwdriver through the whole filter" trick but that is a real mess.
I've had to use a screwdriver before myself. Could not get channel locks on filter or even get a filter wrench on it. I think it was on a Ford truck, but was long ago, so I forget.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
I was going to suggest what murphy suggested. My $50 91 sononoma had sat in a garage for years with only 112000 miles on it. When I trailered it home and changed the oil I couldn't get the filter off. Took over 2 hours and 3 screwdrivers. NO pliers would get it off and no wrench would either.

T.C.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Next time, try to loosen it when the engine is cold. If successful, just tighten it a hair and run the engine to get the oil hot before draining it. Sometimes the heat makes the filter expand a bit too much to get it to loosen.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,450 Posts
Most of the time a screwdriver speared through it works when all else fails..no need to be messy though,simply poke a hole on the bottom outer end of the filter with an awl and use a cut up plastic soda bottle to catch and funnel the oil into a drain pan first before spearing it with the screwdriver..

2 filters I had were tightened so bad by whoever installed them,they refused to budge with every tool I tried ,and after resorting to the screwdriver trick,I soon had ripped ALL of the canister away,leaving only the threaded base of the filter,still firmly attached to the engine!..one I finally got off by using a ball joint pickle fork shoved into the many holes punched into the base of the filter which is pretty thick metal,and I used a bar between the fork tines to turn it and get it loose..another one on my 250 chevy six I peeled down to the base ,I used an air chisel with a sharp chisel to unscrew the filter's base..

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's a pretty nice looking tool, and the price is good too. I'll definitely look into that one some more.

I am just surprised that I am the only that has posted that like the filter pliers. Personally, I find them so handy and quick, not to mention effective.

Last weekend, I needed to change out the bottle on my little propane torch. I usually don't go through a lot of propane with the torch, so I leave the bottle and torch assembled to keep the bottles from leaking off. Well this time, leaving the torch on the bottle bit me in the butt. I couldn't get them apart. So, I VERY CAREFULLY, used the filter pliers to hold onto the bottle. It worked great and they came right apart.

Oh well, to each their own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts