My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok its the same ol briggs 8 hp that i been working on and theres a problem that i been having,i cant get a acurrite reading on the oil dip stick,it always says low but it will say it til it becomes a smoke bomb.how much oil does this engine hold? i think i might have to replace the distick O ring but i cant get it in all the way to make it seal.

·
Lawnboy Novice
91 Posts
those briggs hold quite a lot of oil in the case. I was amazed one day when i put a whole quart and a half in mine. I wouldnt think it's an O-ring problem, but it might be. do you see spilled oil around where the dipstick goes in? If not then probably not the o-ring. and also are you sure that the dipstick your using is the correct one?

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those briggs hold quite a lot of oil in the case. I was amazed one day when i put a whole quart and a half in mine. I wouldnt think it's an O-ring problem, but it might be. do you see spilled oil around where the dipstick goes in? If not then probably not the o-ring. and also are you sure that the dipstick your using is the correct one?
i know its the O ring because oil will collect grass over the area if i put enough oil in,and i also suspect i dont have the right dipstik.but ill do checking around.

·
Lawnboy Novice
91 Posts
best thing to do would be to find the correct dipstick that will screw in all the way. What model is the engine? could you post pictures? it would be helpful.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
best thing to do would be to find the correct dipstick that will screw in all the way. What model is the engine? could you post pictures? it would be helpful.
i hope this helps,this is the only pic i got of it yet.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts