My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have a machine that gets just a few hours of run time every year, do you still change the oil every year?

I've got one that only has about 10 hours on it since the last change at the first of the year. Book maintenance schedule says something like 25 hours. Oil is still clean and honey colored.

·
10,836 Posts
Kind of like bathing: Once a year, whether it needs it or not.

(on seasonal engines such as a wb snowblower, or a push mower)

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Yep. Very important to change it anyway.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Combustion produces acids which will eat the aluminum, so yes you need to change the oil at least annually. I like to do twice a year on my year-round use stuff, once in the spring and again in the fall. Otherwise, I change at the end of the use season, so the acids aren't sitting there eating at the engine for months.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I would change it and remember the oils and filters are it's life blood. slkpk

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,356 Posts
Combustion produces acids which will eat the aluminum, so yes you need to change the oil at least annually. I like to do twice a year on my year-round use stuff, once in the spring and again in the fall. Otherwise, I change at the end of the use season, so the acids aren't sitting there eating at the engine for months.
Not trying to be a "wiseguy", but this is a new one on me. Could you please ex plane this in detail to help me and others. Now we all know there are engines out there that hardly never had the oil change for years. But when you open them up, I have never seen wear acids ate a hole in the block or eat the crank, or any where that you would say , boy the acids ate her up it is shot. And i'am talking years not months like you are saying. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Well,I love opinions and I as everyone else have heard many tales of eng.stories.So here's my take on oil changes--engines=$$----quart of oil=not so much.I say save your money somewhere else,fishing lures and such,but not when it comes to your equipment that you rely on almost daily.If 5 or 10 bucks is a deal breaker--you got the wrong hobby:trink40:That said;I think changing oil once a year is fine,assuming that equals around 50hrs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ***, but this is a new one on me. Could you please ex plane this in detail to help me and others. Now we all know there are engines out there that hardly never had the oil change for years. But when you open them up, I have never seen wear acids ate a hole in the block or eat the crank, or any where that you would say , boy the acids ate her up it is shot. And i'am talking years not months like you are saying. :dunno:
Basically, combustion produces acidic gases that, when combined with the moisture present in the air, produce liquid acids. This is much more a problem in engines that don't reach operating temperature, or are only used for short times. In those, the acids build up until the oil is acidic enough to cause damage. I saw this in Maine a lot with cars and trucks eating holes through the oil pan from the inside out. Equipment that stays at operating temp for hours at a time won't have as much of an issue, plus since most lawn and garden equipment is pretty easy on the oil, it is conceivable that the oil could last for years. Still not too good of an idea, oil is cheap compared to rebuild components or a hole in the block.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts