My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my L120 was a pain to drain the way the plug ened so flush to the rail.

I just bought the x520. It is still in the crate so when I looked at the x500 it looks like the oil plug is pretty flush with the machine so I suppose JD has not figured a better way to align the outflow pipe yet.

Oil changes can get messy with this set up.

Have you found an extension plug or an oil pan that will get up and snug to the tractor?

I found standard oil pans were a pain to align on my L120.

Let me know how you deal with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is my little secret. Same thing I do with kicker outboard motors. Take a gallon ziplock baggie, tape it right under the drain tube with duct tape. Drain all oil, remove tape, zip up ziplock bag and throw away. You won't miss one drop of oil. Quick and CLEAN.....

Others might have better suggestions, but this is cheap quick and easy!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Lets see if anyone else has some suggestions too.

:greendr:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cut the label side of an old quart of oil and the bottom off to make a chute for the oil to drain into for your container.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here is my little secret. Take a gallon ziplock baggie, tape it right under the drain tube with duct tape. Drain all oil, remove tape, zip up ziplock bag and throw away. You won't miss one drop of oil. Quick and CLEAN.....
Oh, not to be too "green", but I surely hope you don't "throw away" in your garbage to polute the landfill. :Stop: Better to take the oil to a reclaim station.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Exactly what I was trying to explain!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i did the gallon bag trick today ... worked pretty darn good. after she was drained out i dumped it into my wase oil drum. clean and easy thanks for the info.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, good tips. But for all the money we spend on JD you think the engineers would have figured out a modification that gets around the tractor's shortcoming in this regard

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK, good tips. But for all the money we spend on JD you think the engineers would have figured out a modification that gets around the tractor's shortcoming in this regard
true ... i thought of putting a extension on it ... i mean any hardware store has the pipe and a elbow to make it happen captian

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true ... i thought of putting a extension on it ... i mean any hardware store has the pipe and a elbow to make it happen captian
For all the money we spend on the Tractor JD goes on the cheap with this issue? Annoying for sure!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fram has a oil drain plug that replaces the oil pan plug in autos. Of course it screws into the pan (male thread). If you could get a piece to screw over the drain plug that was threaded on the inside (female) you could then screw the Fram plug into it. The you screw on the drain fitting and this opens up a hold in the drain plug letting the oil come out.

This is what it looks like:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fram has a oil drain plug that replaces the oil pan plug in autos. Of course it screws into the pan (male thread). If you could get a piece to screw over the drain plug that was threaded on the inside (female) you could then screw the Fram plug into it. The you screw on the drain fitting and this opens up a hold in the drain plug letting the oil come out.

This is what it looks like:

[/IMG]
What size would I need to the x520?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not sure. Fram makes several different sizes for different automobiles. I'm thinking you could purchase one and then thread a piece of pipe to fit the drain pipe and then thread the iside of the pipe to fit the drain plug.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure. Fram makes several different sizes for different automobiles. I'm thinking you could purchase one and then thread a piece of pipe to fit the drain pipe and then thread the iside of the pipe to fit the drain plug.
Thanks, I'll hold off as with my luck, I am likely to get the wrong size

·
Registered
138 Posts
With there being several sizes, you could probably find one that fits. I'm not sure about how the oil drains out of most JD Mowers. My STX38 has a metal tube (pipe) coming out of the left side of the engine. It has a threaded metal cap. On mine I would nedd to have a coupler(?) to screw on the tube and then have it threaded on the iside to screw the Fram plug into.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out these links. I have been using something similar for many years and these make it really easy. You suck the oil out through dipstick hole and after filling with new oil pour the old oil in the empty bottle s to recycle....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moeller-Fluid-E...1|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automatic-Elect...1|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E-Z-...4785040QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
Listings are gone, do you have a picture of what it was?

I wonder if there are current ones of whatever it is on eBay now?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm confused :confused: It's not the first time that I read about oil drain difficulty, my X300 came with that extension, I suppose that the X500/X700 have that to :confused:
it does and I find it inadequate. I'd like to find something that comes out a bit more and then at a downward angle.

That plug on the x520 is messy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts