My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally stopped raining, and the moles were at it again, tunneling everywhere across the yard. I looked online and found the Ohio Steel 52 x 24 roller at TSC for $249, which sounded a lot better than the $329 that Home Depot is asking. My wife and I hopped in the truck to pick one up.

TSC had them assembled. The tongue looked very short, I was concerned about being able to maneuver, so a got a cross drawbar for my 3 point hitch.

When I got everything home, I hooked it all up and filled the roller with water. The rounded edges really do work, I was able to turn very tight corners without any gouging or digging, and the roller was easy to maneuver when mounted to the drawbar.

I spent about an hour flattening mole hills. The roller weighs 920 lbs when full of water, my MF GC 2600 had no problems pulling it up hill or controlling it going down hill. I am glad i got it. The moles know they are in a fight now.

·
Super Moderator
33,821 Posts
Well they will give you a run for your money I know that from experience! Sounds like a nice roller though!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they will give you a run for your money I know that from experience! Sounds like a nice roller though!
After flattening all the tunnels it is easy to spot a new one....those are getting a dose of Tomcat mole killer.

Fingers crossed.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
What are your other options to get rid of them in your area.

My son just bought three acres, zoned agriculture, Northeast of Pensacola and he has an armadillo problem. His neighbor told him that Florida law allowed him to shoot them on his property. He is evaluating that as the armadillo's are pretty destructive.

Your roller sounds great.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Get some chemicals that kill the grubs the moles eat, and they will move on to greener pastures. (skunks also like the same grubs..... so, lower the skunk visitation rate as well. :) )

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Hm, I will have to see what armadillo's like to eat.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I find that a Taurus Judge loaded with .410 in a Bianchi cross draw holster worked well on the gophers that used to reside under my lawn. Those lil' buggers had no fear of me while on the riding mower. Sure got some looks from the neighbors, though.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
I find that a Taurus Judge loaded with .410 in a Bianchi cross draw holster worked well on the gophers that used to reside under my lawn. Those lil' buggers had no fear of me while on the riding mower. Sure got some looks from the neighbors, though.
Sounds great to me. I just got a Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle to eradicate a squirrel problem in the back yard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can see it now, you're riding around with your judge saying "Badgers, we don't need no stinking badgers"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beneficial nematodes to get rid of the grubs. Not a quick fix, but not chemical poison either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beneficial nematodes to get rid of the grubs. Not a quick fix, but not chemical poison either.
Thanks Spoonie, this sounds interesting. I see there are several species that are used to control pests insects. I am assuming I would want one that targets grubs?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I had a mole problem a few years ago and I tried everything.
My Dad told me to get a spike trap.
Long story short, after over 6 kills, mole problem gone.

There is nothing as effective as the trap, period!

Just make sure once it's triggered you push spikes all the way down, dig out area and confirm they are dead! :fing32:
Hope the picture does not offend anyone, and if so my apology.

MU

Attachments

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
AWESOME!!! I like it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts