My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Boy--that was a pretty neat recovery and a great story. You do have a great mate.
I had something like that happen to me years ago--I bought a Wheelhorse GT14 from a man down in N.Carolina. Along with a front blade and a mower deck. I planned to pick it up and store the trailer @ the seller's house as I went farther on across the state to my High School reunion. Well--shoot that down--got to the address-nobody home-tractor and parts sitting in thje front yuard--all seperated.. my wife is along w/ me--but she is sick-has A GI infection thing going on. I/she struggled-got the blade loaded first-then the heavy deck-. Finally got the tractor started--it ran out of gas halfway up on the trailero_Oo_O fi9nally got that winched on/tied down. What tto do now? I drove down the road a littkle way--saw a small tractpor dealership-pulled in there (late friday afternoon) Finally talked to the owner's wife--she was good enough to let me park my trailer (loaded) in her fenced -in back lot for the weekend. "Call me when you are headed home--I'll get someone to come open the gate for you"--sure enough -Sunday afternoon, I called--she showed up herself- I re hooked the trailer up-had a little nice conversation and got on the road home. Nicest folks-wouldn't take a dime for their troubles--she was still concerned about my wife being so sick. Finally got homelatethat night--never so gklad to see my driveway.
Try to contact the original seller a couple times later on--he never responded back to me--guess once the stuff was gone--I didn't count anymore. But here again--he didn't do what we had talked about before hand, either. left me hanging-
Just goes to show you-good and bad folks everywhere-
glenn
Wow, that sounds like a trip from Hades. There are still some nice people out there and we reap what we sew. Something else on my trip, after loading I discovered the trailer lights receptacle on my truck had a broken connector so no lights on the way home and since the loading took so long it was approaching dark. Also about an hour from home I discovered my new trailer license plate that I had attached with zip ties earlier that morning had blown off somewhere on the Interstate as the grate must have been rubbing on the ties and cut through both of them. Kept my fingers crossed that a Highway Patrol didn’t happen to pull in behind me. Like you, I was so happy to get back into my own driveway.

· Super Moderator
17,706 Posts
My wife will occaionally offer up--"Stuff happens to you/us because you can always get by" --whatever that means...
That is what a good friend of my Father's told me at his funeral=that seems to be the reason he always favored my brother--but that is a whole another can of worms. I'm just happy to still be here and able to do most things.
Ya know?
So when I hear about other peoples's mis-adventues, I don't feel soooo bad. I live and learn and move on. I do like your inovations also! Never give up--stop and think for a bit--also having a varied background/education/knowledge puts you far ahead of the average person nowadays,,,, and being able to work out things helps...Win/win..

..I try to think like some of those people on Survivor Island--make something work, man.

Have a good day--enjoyed chatting w/ you.
glenn

Reactions: Dog Doctor

· Registered
Troybilt Pony
91 Posts
Bought this 27 ft Airstream from a guy 40 miles from Ft Smith Arkansas. Nice guy, before we got there he pulled the wheels to check the grease, aired the tires. Made sure we got everything right before my son and I headed back east to Aurora, NC, 1200 miles each way. The rental diesel Dodge Ram duelly pulled it like a sweetheart. Don’t think my Tj would have worked too well.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

· Registered
2 Posts
You get serious atta boys for adapting, overcoming and improvising getting that metal loaded. That's grit and determination, which is inspirational and something I'm trying to instill in my 3 boys. Half the battle is showing up with a determined attitude.
Personally I'd approach this with the goal of having a flat deck on the trailer. If it means you need another tool, (plasma cutter) then all the better.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
I have found when you look at something, come up with a plan, then think about what may be a problem down the road, change the plan.
Much easier to eliminate a possible down the road problem before it is welded in.
The extra time spent now, will be much less than doing it, undoing it and then redoing it later.

This is one of the reasons I got AutoCAD when I was building stuff.
When you draw something to exact scale you can find problems before you even dig the hole the building is going in.
Yes it takes a lot of extra time, but I have saved myself even more time/money that I spent drawing things out. When you are paying a crew, time is definitely money.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would be looking for so angle to weld the grate to. Make the twelve panels to keep the weight manageable. I never know when an open raised work area is needed. But that might be overload for the trailer.
I have decided to cut the panels and weld them into place individually. In fact, I cut the first panel earlier this afternoon, fairly easily with my Milwaukee Hackzall and some blades I already had in the garage. I can at least rough cut them and hen polish to a perfect fit with a grinder. Looking at the first section, it looks like this is going to be a great solution. I agree that will significantly reduce weight and will also give me a level deck with fewer trip and snag hazards.

· Super Moderator
14,313 Posts
This sounds like an episode of following me around. Using what is around to get the job done!

Reactions: Dog Doctor

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was able to cut the first two (of twelve) sections this weekend and it looks like this is going to be a perfect solution to filling in the trap-door openings on my trailer. Cutting this steel is not as difficult as I had envisioned, it takes some time and elbow grease but looks like I will be able to accomplish it with some fairly inexpensive Saber saw and Hackzall blades. I did buy one Carbide Hackzall blade and it's probably going to be the best go-to option. Here are some photos of the first two sections dry fitted. I will weld angle iron in place to support the sections. I am still debating which side is better up and which is better down. These photos show one in each position. It would appear to me that the horizontal bars on the underside of the grate would theoretically be the way they were designed, in order to support more weight, but horizontal bars up could provide more sure grip footing. Removing these two sections has already significantly reduced the weight of the piece and made it much easier to man-handle around.

Grille Automotive exterior Mesh Road surface Line
Grille Door Wood Automotive exterior Window

· Administrator
18,560 Posts
I would put the horizontal bars on the top. If done with them on the bottom, you would be amazed how much junk can pack in between the verticals as the horizontal bars stop stuff from falling through. Just my 2¢ and experience from using same stye of grating over 2 X 3 downhill driveway drain.
MikeC

21 - 31 of 31 Posts