Well, well, well... Something isn't working - picture not!!! :banghead3

I'm on my way to pick this up - to restore of coarse :bananapow

Woo-Efin-Who!!!

My picture host doesn't seem to want to host at the moment :Disgus:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, back home now and going to try again to upload a picture of the Brick Top I've been wanting and have laid claim to. Not the deck style I was after but it doesn't look beaton to bad..

Yaye!!

·
5,864 Posts
Nice find of a commercial. Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mow I have this heavyweight home. He is one bad-azz "SUPER COMMERCIAL" mower. It is heavier than I expected and in very very good condition on the exterior. Soon to start disassembly and testing.

Lawn-Boy numbering has once again got me scratching my head.
What do these number mean? The serial # doesn't match up to the model.
My other lawn-Boy did this to me too!

am I missing?

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Yeah don't worry about that serial number issue, they are often incorrect, no biggie.

That mower being Canadian might have something to do with it to. Not sure if the plant in Canada tried to make the serial number begin with the year in which it was produced, but we have long known that there were many years where the mowers that the U.S. were producing didn't jive with the year produced.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Saw that mower on Kijiji, but it was too far for me. Glad someone here got it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Saw that mower on Kijiji, but it was too far for me. Glad someone here got it!
You must be one of the other Chaps interested, from Kitchener :thThumbsU

The seller was shocked at the amount of interest for this mower. He said he had something like 20 emails in 2 days!, 4 from you hehehhee :)
He said he bought it from an estate sale along with a bunch of shite and sat on it for many moons and just wanted it gone. He also said he tried "lightly" to get it going but it didn't start for him, so kijiji value = "$ scrap weight"..

It was indeed a long drive but I read the internet as my son (got his G1) drove me up & back :rauch10: he even put in the gas cuz he wanted/needed the seat time..

$20.00 bucks! Buddy wanted $20.00 bucks for this one :sidelaugh

He couldn't understand all the interest, he just wanted "scrap weight price" and I couldn't do anything but agree with him :bananapow I was in no position to argue :1221:

I'll get er fixed up reallll nice, wanna buy it? It really is way too much mower for my lawn..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've taken as many parts off of this amazing machine as I can tonight.
I have been stopped by a seized blade mounting plate. It is soaking in penetrating oil tonight and I'VE put my sludge hammer to rest. I'll open er up tomorrow IF She wants.

From this standpoint I can see the engine has 'never-ever' been opened before. (I kinda like residential virgins but commercial virgins kinda scare me a little :i_praying

From the pics I can see someone has spent a little time & money on the carb. The carb bolts that mount the carb to the engine were 'finger tight' at best and a 'brand new' float & seat were purchased & installed :goodl:

So at this point,, - the carb = clean-as-a-whistle, but I can't get the engine off the deck!
I have great spark but can't get the engine to fire with gas/oil mix down it's spark plug hole.
So, from there I looked into the fuel delivery system and found the gas tank was contaminated with, 'grass'??? Yes there was mucho grass in the mega size tank. I'm confident that this is-not the problem here, but I mention it as it's needed to be addressed.

Cleaning some dirty things that have never-ever been touched for nearly 40yrs :eck34:

I don't know if I can state how proud I am of owning this machine. I'll hope to be able to dedicate a couple hrs for this project in the morning! Then make an amazing breakfast for my crew, the most important meal of the day I've been told .:congrats:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I might have destroyed the blade adapter but I finally got it off with a jig and I even needed a little heat. It popped off with a load crack and unfortunately for my laundry lady, it was so loud I pooped a little. :dogrun: :eck13: lol

This model is heavy duty indeed, much heavier built then the other two examples I just rebuilt from the ground up.
The muffler on this one is very different and cast aluminum or magnesium whereas the others were stamped steel. The muffler had definitely never been taken apart before but the users appeared to have used low-ash or ashless or high quality 2 stroke oil.

I've taken a dental pick to one side, the other is virgin. Very little carbon.
Now I can get the engine off and see how it was really treated. To this point it doesn't looked heavily used.

I haven't cleaned anything under here other then half the muffler.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to take a break from the Lawn-Boy rebuild today.
I felt the erg to start up the old tiller and move some dirt around. :Tractor2:

Of coarse it is a 2 stroke :thThumbsU

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the cylinder off now after a long day of life-stuff.

The rings are seized into the piston, the piston is questionable and the cylinder looks in really good condition. A quick hone & it'll be like brand new.

Tomorrow looks promising to dig into it a little more.

I don't know if I'm going to repaint the deck or just clean it up, it is in really decent shape. If I do restore it, I don't know if I'll paint it green or leave it beige. I am totally open to suggestions here please. :hatsoff:

The shroud and tank on the other hand will definitely get primed and an orange spritzer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You must be one of the other Chaps interested, from Kitchener :thThumbsU

The seller was shocked at the amount of interest for this mower. He said he had something like 20 emails in 2 days!, 4 from you hehehhee :)
He said he bought it from an estate sale along with a bunch of shite and sat on it for many moons and just wanted it gone. He also said he tried "lightly" to get it going but it didn't start for him, so kijiji value = "$ scrap weight"..

It was indeed a long drive but I read the internet as my son (got his G1) drove me up & back :rauch10: he even put in the gas cuz he wanted/needed the seat time..

$20.00 bucks! Buddy wanted $20.00 bucks for this one :sidelaugh

He couldn't understand all the interest, he just wanted "scrap weight price" and I couldn't do anything but agree with him :bananapow I was in no position to argue :1221:

I'll get er fixed up reallll nice, wanna buy it? It really is way too much mower for my lawn..
Nah, I never emailed about it. Figured it would be gone, anyways. It is a sweet unit, though!

Nice YZ, I can't wait to get my 490 finished this summer. :trink39:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh, by the way, nice Mastercraft in your pic there. I haven't seen one of those in years! I have a couple of LB bricktops on the same body, love them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice YZ, I can't wait to get my 490 finished this summer. :trink39:
YZ490? Whaaaa, now that is a real mans machine! You need both your balls when you twist the throttle on that. The 450F is really loud I bet, do you have one of those db-dog I think they're called?
I personally prefer riding the smokers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh, by the way, nice Mastercraft in your pic there. I haven't seen one of those in years! I have a couple of LB bricktops on the same body, love them.
I think the whole package is buttugly! Works amazing, motor is tight and strong and it is light as a feather, but it I can't get over the style or lack of :eck16:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It took two of us to get the cylinder off the piston.
It took me over an hour to get the carbon cleared from the piston pin holes and the retainer clips holes were plugged and seized in their grooves.

Yep, piston and rings are toast. The piston rings are seized in their grooves.
I did a compression test before I disassembled and got 55lbs. I'm surprised.
Just takes 1 time fueling up with not enough or no oil to destroy a 2 stroke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts