My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Bonanza w/the pickup box was sold here in MN by Gambles. My dad
bought one, his first lawn tractor - about 1970. They wore out pretty fast,
having a 10-12 yr. old me running it probably sped the process up quite a bit.
It had a 3 speed chain drive transmission and 110v. electric start 8 H.P. vertical
Briggs in it. Still got quite a few years service out of it. In 1977 it got replaced by I believe was a 108 Cub with a 3 speed in it. That one didn't wear out nearly as fast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The other machine is a W.T.G. sold through the old W.T. Grant dept. stores, and yes those were built by Rugg I believe. Many years ago I pulled one out of the old town dump for the engine which was a 4 hp briggs that I got running. The tractor itself was too far gone, so that ended up back in the dump. Geez, now that I think of it I sure miss that old dump, there used to be a lot of good finds in there :fing32:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Yeah,I hear ya..I miss the old dumps too,before the trash nazi's took over and made it a crime to even LOOK at anything in the metal pile..now it's rare I ever see anything IN the metal pile,or bring anything home..the dump employees scoff all the desireable stuff and scrap for themselves,or take pleasure in crushing it right before your eyes with the loader..

I can remember them putting things they thought others might want aside,like mowers and snowblowers,etc..now its "quick,crush it--here comes someone who might want that!"..

I dragged several "Rugg" type riding mowers home and had them running in an hour,gave them to relatives and friends without riders..I cant believe the condition of some things I see getting junked,it is a sin..people must have more money than brains I guess..

·
Banned
550 Posts
I've got a buddy down here in Copan Oklahoma that has three bonanzas, two in pretty good shape.

·
Sears Suburban nut
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
yea nowadays i think thats the problem too much money lot of people buy these new junkers use em for 5 yrs n go get a new one my 66 sears looks pretty rough but it shure runs like ****

·
Sears Suburban nut
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
was up at the scrap yard last sat got 2 tecumseh ssi modules and an almost complete 36" older sears snowblower attachment for $40 also seen a motomow snowblower,old walk behind toro snowblower,and a small old bolens walk behind tiller (i need more room, and money) lol
heres a pic of the moto mow blower

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
was up at the scrap yard last sat got 2 tecumseh ssi modules and an almost complete 36" older sears snowblower attachment for $40 also seen a motomow snowblower,old walk behind toro snowblower,and a small old bolens walk behind tiller (i need more room, and money) lol
heres a pic of the moto mow blower
Where abouts is this scrap yard you speak of? Hopefully not too incredibly far from MD, where I'm located. Parts are hard to come by down this way...

Thanks!
Geoff

·
Sears Suburban nut
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Registered
83 Posts
never seen anything likes these before?
The WTG stands for WT Grant . A department store in New England. They where made for them in the 60's buy the Rugg Co. It is called a carpet cut mower. I have one in my shed. Mine is a 64' If you can read the # on the motor you can guess the year ,1st 2 numbers on the ss are the year. Then you can go to E T Rugg Mowers (sorry don't have the link here). This sight has almost all the parts and service manuals and pics you will need.Good luck my friend

·
Registered
173 Posts
My friend has a bonanza. He put a 16 hp briggs on it with a centrifugal clutch and a right angle gear box and built a race mower out of it. Arctic cat also sold mowers with pickup beds. heres a link. They were built by general leisure products.

http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/tractor/acprotonstrac.htm

I would love to find a Arctic cat mower to go with my cat snowmobile.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My friend has a bonanza. He put a 16 hp briggs on it with a centrifugal clutch and a right angle gear box and built a race mower out of it. Arctic cat also sold mowers with pickup beds. They were built by general leisure products. Heres a link.

http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/tractor/acprotonstrac.htm

I would love to find a Arctic cat mower to go with my cat snowmobile.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great info skeeter, I never realized Artic Cat got into the mower business you learn something new everyday! I sure like those boss cats, they look like they could be pretty fun!

·
Registered
755 Posts
That tractor in the lower right is a Rugg Carpet Cut. I have one. I actually have the mower deck as well in the shed.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I had a green Rugg. Came with a round deck. Sold it to a guy from Florida along with a couple of Mustangs to build into mower racers. Heck, they are just go carts any way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
never seen anything likes these before?
Don't know much about that tractor other than the WTG stands for W.T. Grants, a complany that went out of business in 1976 I think. I have a little tractor made for WTG Company by the Rugg Company.

Neat little rigs, not sure I'd want to mow my lawn with it though... I'm going to restore the one I have just because I think they look unique, probably wont use it though.

Good luck with it and have fun.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Hey cool. There is a picture of my lawn Lion at the auction in the link on post #30. I haven't done anything with it yet, but for $2. I'm not out much yet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There was a Bonanza that was just like new that sold for 75.00 at the Sandwich, Illinois Show and Auction last weekend. Although a cute little item they aren't a high dollar item. This one was running, original paint (like new) and the new owner drove it around for a while after he bought it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Me and my father had one of these. But ours was a bigger model with 8hp motor on the front. Looked really kewl but we sold it off years ago. The front grill was heavy heavy cast iron.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So that is what the old lawn mower my father had rug carpet mower. We had just bare bone chassis nothing else. Was going to turn it into a go cart but instead scrapped it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts