My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today discovered on a popple tree that we had transplanted from the folks farm land. It looks almost like a "brain corral" or a cauliflower head. They are green and were up to 2.5 to 3 " across. I probably snipped off about 6 of these growths. I snapped one in half and there were some small insects inside - kind of looked like a fruit fly. They feel very firm - not "soggy" at all.

I took some pics with the wifes camera, but cant find her cable to grab the pictures off it (she lost her usb cable :banghead3 ) so I will take it to work tomorrow to grab the pics with our card reader there to post some pics to help.

There is at least 1 more of these up higher on the tree that I will need a ladder to get to to snip off. May have to see if the county extension has someone who can identify.

The tree otherwise is looking very healthy. It is near the small vegetable garden we put in this year, so I know it has seen more water from the sprinkler than years past.

Any one ever seen or heard of something like this? Neighbor looked at one and said he thought it may be a fungus.

EDIT>>>> With a little searching I believe I have discovered that I have poplar vagabond gall aphid or poplar bud gall mite http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/poplar-bud-gall-mites02.pdf. Man - I love Google Image Search..... Looks like pruning is the way to go to minimize damage.

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
Yeah we've got some species of wasp over here that seem to make a home in oak branches, believe the growths are called galls. They dont usually cause any harm to the tree, as the insect will be depending on the tree to remain healthy for future generations to use. Just look a bit odd.

I'm no expert on galls myself, but someone who knows a bit more would be able to ID the insect for you if u do manage to put a pic on, as each species has a different looking gall, no two are the same so i've heard...

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts