My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing on Craigslist in Pittsburgh, PA, and ran across an add for a Gravely with a rather unusual looking 30" deck. I don't think I've ever seen a set of wheels like this on a 30" deck before. I'm betting it's home made, but I thought all of you might appreciate it. I wish there was a better photo of this, but you take what you can get. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
I saw that a few days ago on Ebay. I think he wanted the bidding to start somewhere around $1200. I might be wrong on the exact number but it was high.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that a few days ago on Ebay. I think he wanted the bidding to start somewhere around $1200. I might be wrong on the exact number but it was high.
You're probably right. The complete rig in the picture plus a square chute dogeater are listed with an asking price of $1400. All of the equipment appears to have been recently painted, but it still sounds a bit pricey to me.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I had 4 regular 6" mower wheels added to the side plates of one of my 30" decks. Tracked nice and didn't leave tracks on lawns. It also stuck way under bushes without catching...

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
$1400??!! - man those are some expensive wheel add-ons. They were probably added to avoid the infamous 30" mower "scalping" effect. For normal lawn mowing chores, they'd likely be OK - though the design calls for the wheels to track outside the deck's radius and I don't care for that. For brush work, I wouldn't want any part of using this modified deck - looks ripe for constantly getting "hung up" in thick brush/grass.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Pathetic.

I cannot believe what some people are looking to get for L's. It really makes me sick. I went to check out 3 totally dead, non running L's and dead 5665 a few weeks ago with a few rusty and broken attachments. I made a VERY fair, maybe crazy offer to the guy for the whole package since he had no idea what they were and had no history on anything. He was asking $1500 for the whole package and would not move a dime below $1200 for everything. He seemed offended by my $800 offer actually. You know someone does not need the money when they have a beautiful farm with restored buildings and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Pathetic.

I cannot believe what some people are looking to get for L's. It really makes me sick. I went to check out 3 totally dead, non running L's and dead 5665 a few weeks ago with a few rusty and broken attachments. I made a VERY fair, maybe crazy offer to the guy for the whole package since he had no idea what they were and had no history on anything. He was asking $1500 for the whole package and would not move a dime below $1200 for everything. He seemed offended by my $800 offer actually. You know someone does not need the money when they have a beautiful farm with restored buildings and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo as a daily driver.

He's a seller that's been on-line and seen what some other folk are asking for their machines and what (very few) people have received for their tractors and he's sticking with that # implanted in his noggin - but forgetting (or ignoring) the amount of repair work/expense involved by a prospective buyer, to obtain those prices. I've also ran into a few of these guys over the years - some just seemed to enjoy the "dickering" process/others didn't, but they each/all had very stringent sales terms. You know that you're headed down the wrong road when you put forward a very reasonable offer and it's instantaneously rejected (with the accompanying offended look). What I've done then is to see how receptive the seller is to a price that's $50-100 below asking. When he begins struggling mightily with that, as if in physical pain, I know it's a bad situation.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Pathetic.

I see it a lot. People see one listed on eBay for some outrageous price and assume theirs is worth the same. They tend to miss the point that the ebay tractor didn't sell, or it ran the theirs doesn't, etc etc. I'll tell them that if they want top dollar, they need to list on eBay. But they don't want to do that, they want the bucks. I pass on more than I haul home.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
$1400??!! - man those are some expensive wheel add-ons. They were probably added to avoid the infamous 30" mower "scalping" effect. For normal lawn mowing chores, they'd likely be OK - though the design calls for the wheels to track outside the deck's radius and I don't care for that. For brush work, I wouldn't want any part of using this modified deck - looks ripe for constantly getting "hung up" in thick brush/grass.
Anything but some delicate grass mowing would scrape those cuties right off.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Anything but some delicate grass mowing would scrape those cuties right off.
A good operator could have those ripped off and chewed up in one pass! I'd give it a try. Good concept... just not Gravely quality.

On a side note... dad has been thinking of doing something similar with one of our 30" decks. Using heavy heavy caster assemblies off of an old 60" 3pt finish mower and mounting them using Class 1 receiver tubes so they remove easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts