My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a couple of new buildings so I'm going to brake off from the layout thread and start a new one for the building .......

The first building is going to be a combination of a small volunteer fire department and a sheriffs office.
The base is cut from a piece of 1/2 inch plywood.

There are going to two garage stalls for the fire trucks and I want to have the garage doors open on them so I will be cutting a section out where the garage stalls will be.
I have cut a a square piece of 1/8 inch thick paneling to represent a concrete floor in the two stalls.
In order to fit this piece of paneling into the base, I need to mill 1/8 inch deep out the bottom for the piece of paneling to fit into.
The base is too big to clamp in my small mill so I attached a narrow piece of wood to it that will fit into the mill vice.

The base is clamped in the vise and the area for the garage is milled out.

The garage stalls are then cut out and that leaves a lip around the opening for the piece of paneling to be attached to.

The piece of paneling is glued in place on the bottom of the base.

Hers how it looks from the top.
The front edge of the piece of paneling is sanded down at an angle just like the front edge of a concrete pad would be shaped.

·
We're all friends here
14,178 Posts
I'm watching the master craftsman, as usual. :)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back wall is cut out of 1/8 inch paneling and is glued to the base.

The wall section with the two garage door openings is cut out and glued in place.

I have cut out two of the side wall sections and marked where the windows will go.
Then I drill two pilot holes in each window area.

Some time ago I had made up this wood box with an aluminum plate fastened to the top of it.
My saber saw mounts to the underside of the aluminum plate with the saw blade sticking up thru it.
I set the wall section on the aluminum plate with the blade sticking up thru one of the holes.
From this point, I can saw out two sides of the window.
Then I move the piece so the blade is sticking up thru the other hole and saw out the other two sides.

Here is the finished wall section.

Here are the two wall sections with the windows sitting in place.

The two wall sections are glued in place on the base.
Steel blocks and clamps are used to hold everything in place and squared up while the glue dries.
I use pieces of wax paper between the table and the blocks so any excess glue that squeezes out doesn't stick to them.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sidewalls for the building are completed.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first section of the roof is set in place.

I took two pieces of plywood and cut them to the same angles as the roof lines to form braces for the roof.
These are clamped to the inside of the walls and the roof section is glued to them.

Once the glue on the first roof section is dry, then the second roof section is glued to the plywood roof braces.
The wax paper keeps the excess glue from sticking to the walls.

The final roof piece is glued in place.

Here you can see the plywood bracing on the inside of the roof.

And the finished roof so far ( this will get edge trim all around it ).

And how it looks on the building.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've cut a block of wood that the bell will mount onto on top of the tower.
Here I'm milling the bottom of the block off to the size of the hole that is cut into the top of the tower.

A hole that matches the hole in the tower is machined into a piece of the 1/8 inch paneling.

Pieces of milled trim are cut at 45 degrees on the ends.

Here is the finished piece of paneling with the trim pieces glued around the edge and the block of wood sitting on top of it.

The lower part of the wood block fits thru the piece of paneling so it can locate both pieces on the tower.

Next is to make the mounting brackets for the bell.
The end of a piece of 1/4 inch brass rod is rounded off.

A hole is drilled thru the side of it and and 1/16 diameter and a brass rod is slid thru it and soldered in place.

The center of the 1/4 inch brass rod is drilled and tapped and the bell is mounted to it.
The 1/16 inch rods are bent down and then out to form the rocker bracket for the bell.

The pieces for the side brackets are formed and soldered together.

The bearing mounts for the bell are turned out of 5/16 inch brass rod with a groove on the outside that side bracket will fit into.

Then holes are drilled into the center of the bearings.

The bearings are soldered into the top of the side brackets.

The rocker arm is attached to the side brackets.

This gives you an idea of how the bell will mount to the top of the tower.
There will be a pulley wheel mounted on the one end of the bell rocker and a cable will go over this pulley and down into the tower.

The bell will have a roof mounted over it but I don't have the corner post for mounting it yet.
I have gotten these turned post off ebay that I will be using for the corner post once they arrive.

·
We're all friends here
14,178 Posts
Nice bell! Put a clapper in it so it rings when you pull the cord. You could be the only person on earth with a working bell tower on your layout.

·
2,430 Posts
^^^Attach the cord through the building to an actuator under the table, wire actuator to push button at operator's station. :D

We're full of ideas aren't we Ray... looking good. ?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the fascia board glued in place around the edge of the roof.

Here's how it looks on the building.

The inside walls of the garage are set in place.

The bell is painted and the pulley and cable are attached.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts