My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recognize a bunch of the old TF crew here, but there are a pile of new names. How 'bout lettin' us know who you are?

I'll Start:

My name's Angel. I'm a school teacher (History, Civics, Economics). I only have 3 acres of yard to maintain (unlike some of the luckier guys here). I live in the heart of Acadiana - New Iberia, LA. Before I moved here I lived on a 56 acre farm in Battle, KY. My main hobbies are computers (the Windoze kind), 4x4's and old air-cooled VWs. I don't know a whole lot about big tractors, but I've learned a bunch since I met these guys. I've had many different careers in a wide variety of fields.

Who says ADD is bogus! :D
-=A=-

NEXT!

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Great Idea!

Hi Angel, and everyone else!

My name is Mark, and I live just north of Fargo, ND.

I drive truck for a living, between Fargo and Sioux Falls, SD. Unlike many drivers, I am home every day (at some point)! I have been driving for the same company for 24 years.

I only have 1/3 of an acre, so my new GT 5000 is overkill, but the price was right! My "lawn mowers" are moving away this summer... I have twins that are both joining the US Navy, and I decided there is more to life that 3 hours chasing a mower around the yard every week, so that's why the GT 5000.

My hobbies include steam traction engineering (I am a member of the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion) and Amateur Radio, though I am not as active as I once was in the radio hobby. I also enjoy computer and networking stuff... 3 machines networked in the house, broadband, Vonage, etc. I love building things out of iron! I have built a lot of trailers, a log splitter, and other odds and ends. Give me a pile of iron, a torch and a welder and I'll stay out of trouble all day!

I also own a 98.5 Dodge / Cummins pickup that I am pretty fond of, and a Starcraft 35' 5th wheel travel trailer to push it! The family really enjoys camping!

I have enjoyed "getting to know" some of you by watching the GW site, and look forward to contributing here!

Thanks for the great idea Angel...

NEXT...

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
I'm one of the bunch from the old TF site,

As my first name is Michael (not MIke) I have been a aircraft mechanic for the last 26 years and a vehicle mechanic for 4 years before getting into airecraft. I went into the Air Force when I was 17 and was orginal trained as a forklift mechanic, after my first hitch I reenlisted and was retrained as a aircraft mechainic (I have a current A&P license). I did 22 years in the Air Force (11 years active and 11 years in the Reserve and retired as a Senior Master Sgt). I have been with a major aircraft company in the Seattle area for the last 17 and half years. I did get a education when I formally lived in Las Vegas and graduated from UNLV with a B.A. in liberal arts (G.I. bill paid my way)

I have a 5 acre lot in the Northwestern corner of Washington state that acquired when I moved up from Las Vegas when I accepted my current job.

I was orginally from a small town in Northcentral part of Iowa and I still have the slow way of talking which I figure makes it easier for folks to understand me.

Next

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I also am from the old TF.

My name is Ernie. and I live in sunny Fl. I have a normal lot and I also do not own a tractor.. I manage the open land for a large developer, and run his equipment which includes a few MFs and equipment that is much larger... I was an heavy equipment mechanic in Mich. which is where I am from.. My hobbies are Bass fishing , salt water fishing, camping, .. Also love smoke cooking and open wood fire cooking, my waist gives that away,and travel As a matter of fact we are doing a 3 week tour of the west this summer... I used to have dogs but now I have turned to cats w/ much more freedom for the little wpman and myself.. I own Fords and I did not realize that there was other products that were named Dodge Chevy until I belonged to the TF for a while ROF

Next

·
Super Moderator
32,222 Posts
mbkerk said:
Hi Angel, and everyone else!

My name is Mark, and I live just north of Fargo, ND.

My hobbies include steam traction engineering (I am a member of the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion) and Amateur Radio, though I am not as active as I once was in the radio hobby. I also enjoy computer and networking stuff... 3 machines networked in the house, broadband, Vonage, etc. I love building things out of iron! I have built a lot of trailers, a log splitter, and other odds and ends. Give me a pile of iron, a torch and a welder and I'll stay out of trouble all day!

I
Thanks for the great idea Angel...

NEXT...
WOW Mark. I would love to spend some time behind a steam tractor!!!!
Never got into the amateur radio, but my Dad is DEEP in it!! Welcome, and I would love to see some of the stuff you have built.

Me? Well I have been around a long time. Started with the last site on it, I think, second day. Been here sence. I make northern Columbia county NY my home. This is my home town I moved back to two years ago, after being gone for 13.[lived in Schenectady NY] Have one smart, beutifull doughter that is as stubern as the day is long. [just like Mom] Had a new house built two years ago [a LONGGGG story!!! :banghead3 ]on a little under 5 arces of land, and now I get to spend the rest of my life taking care of it.

As for tractors, I have a 47 Ford 8N, two old Gravely L's, and Ingersoll 224, and an Ingersoll 444. Also am responsable for the upkeep on a 1970 JD112 that is my Mom's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all. Robert here. Just found this place. I was over at the old tf. Does any body know what happend

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
dixonman said:
Hi all. Robert here. Just found this place. I was over at the old tf. Does any body know what happend

It just went poof and was gone.....

·
Super Moderator
32,222 Posts
dixonman said:

Ya thats about it. POOF!!

Well, we are back, and hopefully better then ever. Jump on in!!! bring your frends!!!! Have a cup of :tee: on us!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Lurker

My name is Jeff, and I live in central Virginia. I was on TF, just didn't post much. But I love seeing all the projects and learning alot.

Love tractors, just not a lot of time to work on them.

Computer consultant by trade, programmer. .Net, SQL, networking, mostly corporate stuff, with some high profile projects.
UNOS organ matching
CCF website

Didn't really contribute much before, but will try harder. Really missed TF when it poofed. Do you know if the Andy would release the archives, maybe they could be converted to here.

Sorry the only tractor ride(if you can call it that) is a Cub 1525 with 50hrs.
Attachments:
Plus arerator(sp?)
Spreader
Bagger

Thanks
jjb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,

My name is Jim. Some of the guys at the old site think I am way too opinionated when it comes to political issues! And my lattice work is quick but doesn't always stay up! I was there since about May last year - went looking for help on an inherited Husqvarna with timed blades and never left.

As far as history goes I was educated as a mechanical engineer and built fish plants for about 15 years. Went into management long enough to lay off my 3300 employees over the longest two years ever. Then I ran a hazardous waste and waste oil recycling company for five years

After that I did engineering consulting for a while, then started up a computer retailer to help my son get started. He went back to school, and I did that for five years, then lucked into the motel business. We leased one for four years, then bought this one. Smartest thing I ever did! We have 18 units and a restaurant, and operate seasonally. Last year we closed in December until March, this year it will be November 1 to April 15.

My wife and I have been happily married for 30 years. (Don't tell her, but that was really the Smartest thing I ever did!) We have four sons - the oldest is a Captain in the Royal Canadian Regiment (infantry) headed for Afganistan in October for his third overseas deployment, the next one provides computer services to credit unions, the third is at Hotel School in PEI, and the youngest is taking Computer Science at Dalhousie University in Halifax. We have two grandchildren, and with regular extended vacations in our future I have been spending my tractor forum time learning about motorhomes at Open Roads Forum www.rv.net

If any of you get up here we have a special discounted tractorforum rate for you!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,901 Posts
Balmoralboy,
Great to have you back amongst us. I missed you during your winter hybernation.

To everyone else,
I'm Joe from the Poconos in PA. I was at TF until the "POOF", and just couldn't let the feeling of that forum die, and so joined with the other mods to bring you this new forum. I was born in 1956, got married in 1996 (last of the great bachelors) and have a daughter and 2 cats. I work as an industrial designer of dryers, and vibrating screens. I own a 1 acre lot with (2) old Deere tractors, and maintain my mom's place of 2 acres with another old Deere. In the past, I have worked for a Deere/Gravely dealership part time, and ran a small lawn maintenance business for 6 years. I have also worked on farms, and for a landscaper during my misspent youth.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Balamoralboy and Bontai...

Yus guys gotta get ur Avatars back up. We miss 'um. :fing33:

Greg

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
Howdy to all of y’all tractor lovin’ folks

I'm Jim or better know as Wingnut from Liberty Hill, Texas (30 miles north of Austin). It’s great to see getting back together after the big "POOF" at TF as Bontai Joe put it with such elegance (okay “POOF” just sounded good to me). I was one of the tail end of the “baby boomers” born in 1962 or born the son or a son of a diesel mechanic (I inherited all the tools). I own 14.78 acres and 12 of it is nothing but cedar trees I am at war with! I have 2 daughters; recently divorce (not my choice, but that life).
The first 2 tractors I owned were Sear Lt10, then M. Moline, and no I currently have a Mahindra C35 and little Murry Select 13.5 hp.
I am currently unemployed for the last 2 years; I was a software quality engineer in the defense industry, but now I have been cleaning up the old homestead. I have worked harder the last 2 years than I had in the last 10 years at a real job.
Like many of us here at this forum I am a jack of all trades and a master of a few!

You don’t realize what you got till it’s gone! It’s great having the forum back with all y’all folks!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Tom L from Michigan's Upper Peninsula

I went by Keweenaw4310 on the old TF forum. I am from Michigan's beautiful Keweenaw peninsula & purchased a JD 4310 last September.

While home on a 10 week paternity leave from work, I stumbled across the great group of guys at TF & have been hooked on this forum ever since.

4 kids 6months,2.5 years, 7 & 14 + my wife keep me very busy.

I'm a PC & network analyst for a large bank but sometimes I wish I could just stay home and work at horse farming & carpentry.

We have 3 horses, 14 acres and just put a 1500 sq ft. addition on our 1000 sq ft house. that's kept me very busy since moving into our place since 2000.

In the near future - with the help of the new tractor, I plan to get a bridge over our stream so that that we can get to our 4 acres on the other side of the stream + to some great trails for biking and hunting. Plan to put up an outdoor sauna and finish off one bedroom with dormer in our house.

Very much into outdoor fitness activities - running, biking, skiing. For the past 3 months & probably for the next 1.5 months, cross country skate skiing every day of the week has been excellent.

Very happy to have hooked up with the great guys at MTF.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi I,m Carm from TF and other places. I am an aircraft mechanic in Baltimore Maryland. I currently keep my tractors at a friend's 60 acre former farm with his equipment. Together we have a 1947 Cub, Farmall C, 880 Oliver Diesel, && Oliver gas basket case, International 3414 Diesel Backhoe, Older MTD lawn tractor and an older Gilson Lawn tractor. We use the MTD and Gilson to do mowing as well as the Cub. THe 880 pulls a bush hog. Glad to be back in the swing here, Congrats to the new site setter uppers it looks great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My name is Mark and I live near Baltimore, Maryland. I have a little over 3/4 acre of "mini farm" that I manage with my new LT180. I grew up a farmer in Southwestern PA, and what they say about taking the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the boy is soo true. I wish I had room for some of my toys here, but alas being a computer professional is my passion now and sprawling farm real estate is not where I could find a job doing it so the toys are still on the farm and I get to play every once in a while with the big stuff....I am down to 17 HP from 106 HP on my "mini farm" and the only livestock here are a wife, 2 kids, and a border collie instead of beef cattle. Anywho, enough from me. I'm sure I'll be blurting more out as my posting continues. Keep watch for further details about me. ;)

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Came here from a post I saw at GardenWeb

·
Registered
254 Posts
hi Names James was at the old site also in grade 10 takin small engines l'm into the older JD lawn tractor have some other brands but mostly fix and sell them l live in sarnia on canada have 2 dogs a 69 pontiac and a 92 gmc pickup l like making things and also growing plans in the garden pritty good with a tool not some much with computers

·
Super Moderator
32,222 Posts
jbetts15 said:
hi Names James was at the old site also in grade 10 takin small engines l'm into the older JD lawn tractor have some other brands but mostly fix and sell them l live in sarnia on canada have 2 dogs a 69 pontiac and a 92 gmc pickup l like making things and also growing plans in the garden pritty good with a tool not some much with computers

Good to have you back James!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks. Its been hard not haveing tf around. But its back. :congrats: :fing32: :woohoo1:

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I'm Dave from New Brunswick Canada (just north of Maine), and I'm an old TFer too. :trink23: I run a beef farm and tractor salvage business with my father, and we collect and restore letter series Farmalls.
It's great to be back with the fine folks here, and have a place to talk all things tractor! :fing33:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts