My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've finally received our SS14 in pieces from the media shop. With the sandblast and Epoxy this thing will be bullet proof when its finished. (We'll post a thread with the restoration from start to finish as soon as we assemble the old girl).

For this tractor there were maybe two dozen nuts/bolts & washers that were salvageable. Since this tractor was stored outside you can only imagine the nonsense we had to go through to actually disassemble. We need to order allot of hardware.

In my opinion Sears has some pretty expensive hardware prices. Most of the carriage bolts for our two mowers are $3.00 a piece! I could spend $100 on just half of the bolts for one mower!

I do know that when ordering certain bolts (with a specified Sears) price I might receive a pack of 5-10. But, I have seen certain orders where it is literally just one bolt or one nut that your paying for.

Sears? or should I go somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello Edmckna, for the odd ball hardware, such as shoulder bolts or the like, I would go Outdoor Distributors with your Sears part number. Everything else is just common hardware. You can source it from your personal favorite: hardware store, big box store, Grainger, Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, etc...
Me personally, I try to use Grade 8 whereever I can. Granted, it is overkill, but it makes me happy.

Moral of the story, that hardware is not Sears specific. Learn the ins and outs of the hardware on your tractor, and then find alternative places to buy it - cheaper!

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
I'd go to a regular hardware store or better yet,an old fashioned farm supply store if there is one locally..

I can get nuts and bolts MUCH cheaper there,by the pound in some cases,than individually from Lowe's or H-D..I found many home centers only stock mostly grade 2 bolts in bulk,but sell grade 8 in drawers for a kings ransom ,and usually have only a few in stock,and forget finding any over 3/4" too..the farm store I go to has bolts as big as 1-1/4" and few even lasrger,and also has carriage head bolts for plows in grade 5 and 8 too,while other stores carry only cheese soft grade 2 ones,and you DONT want those on your Suburban ,to hold the chassis sections together,if you wish to retain originality..I'd use the plow bolts..

The farm store also has "weird" bolts used on Coulter hubs,mower sickle bar sections,etc..much more than a typical hardware store has,and usually they just let you fill up a bag and pay by weight..the bummer is its 12 miles away,and I dont see any stuff getting re-ordered,which leads me to believe the place's days are numbered..:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts