My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been a tractor collector for many years, I started with a JD 520 & 720D, then went to JD lawn & garden tractors. More recently I went back to small farm tractors, starting with a 1953 JD 40 Standard. I decided to branch out with a 1980 2418 Power King, then a 1961 Cub LO Boy & 1944 JD LA. I decided I wanted an AC model "G", located a couple on CL within driving distance. One was near my brother, a retired Ag teacher, so I asked him to look it over for me. He called back & told me it wasn't running but in overall good condition. I called the seller back to make arrangements to look at it last Friday. Picked it up Friday morning about three hours from home. It had been setting for "a couple years", maybe more. I put a battery charger on overnight with no luck, replaced the battery yesterday morning, drained the old gas out & added a gallon of fresh gas with added Seafoam. Tried the starter & it fired right off. drove it around the driveway a while, it smokes, but that may be partly due to the Seafoam.

The front axle was set much wider than the rear, so I've reset it. Need to give it a bath today & ride around a bit more. The wheels & seat need to be repainted orange, a step/platform will be built & a small ammo box attached for a tool box. Then it will be ready for shows starting with Lathrop, MO show next month.

It looks like an early model with serial #0136! I would like to find the hand lift unit & make a belly blade for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thats a sweet one Lowell. I can remember when my dad had a couple of those. They were used for cultivating in between rows on his farm. Thats a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lowell, that looks way to nice to be a non-runner. Did the PO give up on a project, or lose interest?
From what the seller told me it was his & his granddad's project, I assume granddad is no longer around & he needed the money more than the tractor.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
Lowell, I think u can set the rear wheels by swappin the left with the right to make it have a wider stance.. the hubs u can alter them too.. there is another set of holes..

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowell, I think u can set the rear wheels by swappin the left with the right to make it have a wider stance.. the hubs u can alter them too.. there is another set of holes..
Several settings listed in the book, but I don't want it any wider. I need to take the wheels off for painting though, they should be orange, along with the seat.

Need to go after some metal this morning to make a step/platform for it!

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
Several settings listed in the book, but I don't want it any wider. I need to take the wheels off for painting though, they should be orange, along with the seat.

Need to go after some metal this morning to make a step/platform for it!
I see it now.. were the fronts orange too..

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished up painting the seat & wheels, added a step/platform for easier getting on/off, added an ammo box/tool box & raised the seat 3", moved it back 2".

The G fits in well with my other small tractors. I plan to take it to the Lathrop, MO show June 15th.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I like the looks of your modifications to the little G.

I'd be for leaving the Sea Foam out of your fuel. I have a friend that's a professional engine builder and even builds engines for NASCAR trucks on the side. He has seen all sorts of damage from Sea Foam since the switch to the ethanol blended fuels. Something about the Sea Foam and the Ethanol don't react well under certain conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By letting it be known at tractor shows that I was wanting a hand lift. I found one a few weeks ago, cleaned and painted it, then installed it. At the last show I attended a couple weeks ago a fellow collector offered a plow for the G. Picked it up at a show last Saturday, painted it & put it on this morning:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts