My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is no grass to cut, I have had free time.

I found this screwdriver, and I think it is worthy of carrying on the 24G!!

Solid steel. 3/8" wide blade.

Do you have any tools that are uniquely Gravely worthy!? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I can't think of a single place on the 24G where there is a slotted screw. except the engine and those screws are usually so tight that a nutdriver or socket is required. I guess the idle screw on the carb.

It could be used as a prybar.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't think of a single place on the 24G where there is a slotted screw. except the engine and those screws are usually so tight that a nutdriver or socket is required. I guess the idle screw on the carb.
Yea, I agree, but, it makes a great pry bar, wedge, scraper, etc!!

Turn it over and it would be a great hammer!!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Yea, I agree, but, it makes a great pry bar, wedge, scraper, etc!!

Turn it over and it would be a great hammer!!
Agreed!

Are you going to paint it red to match the tractor?

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
That screwdriver was part of a tool kit for the old Fordson tractors. I use one for my go to bench top chisel, pry bar, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
See if the name Fordson is etched in the shank.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats cool. Don't alter it. Pass it on to some old fella who is a Fordson lover. Remember that all good deeds come your way one day also. Think of the look on some old lads face when you show him such kindness. You could use that thing as a gopher club also.

Troy.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I have one tool I think is particularly Gravely worthy, and it's an old one. I got a few old tools in a toolbox, including a partial old plomb hex-drive socket set. It has an old "ratchet" included, and has both 3/4" and 9/16" sockets, the two you really need for Gravely convertibles. They will pack in a small enough box that I can easily mount it on the tractor and have on-hand.

They were very rusty, so I've been carefully cleaning them up. I've been using Evapo-rust, and it works wonders cleaning off even deep rust on old tools. I've soaked tools in there for several days, and they come out in pretty good shape, even exposing old print in the tool that was completely obscured under the rust. I wish I'd taken "before" photos, but I will post some "after" photos soon.

My big problem is that now I have these bare steel tools that want to start surface rusting immediately, and I'm not sure how I should finish these yet. Paint won't work right on sockets. Any thoughts?

The one tool I really wish they had made was a special Gravely wrench, an offset box end wrench, with 9/16" on one end, and 3/4" on the other. I've seen a lot of similar old wrenches at tractor shows, but they all have been the wrong sizes.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"My big problem is that now I have these bare steel tools that want to start surface rusting immediately, and I'm not sure how I should finish these yet. Paint won't work right on sockets. Any thoughts?"

:dunno:

Although I am not positive, I think the antique dealers use linseed oil to make the cleaned tools stay nice.

I believe the screwdriver shown in this post has linseed oil on it.

:fing32:

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Farmers always coated their equipment withe linseed oil.
After you clean the tools you can let them soak in kerosene or fuel oil for a couple of days. That will stop the rust.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,645 Posts
This is actually the second one of these I've come up with. a "tuffy" made by the Swift Airplane Company inc. Wichita KS.
Aluminum handle with a flap that stays down with a ball in a cup in the flap to get more leverage if you need it.
This thread reminded me to get it out of the truck bed where its been for months. Never have seen another size or a phillips.
I have seen those screwdrivers like the OP's and one that hasn't been pounded on for a chisel is rare. I think they are very collectible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
"My big problem is that now I have these bare steel tools that want to start surface rusting immediately, and I'm not sure how I should finish these yet. Paint won't work right on sockets. Any thoughts?"

You could try treating them with touch up bluing solution, usually sold in gun stores. After treating them, polish them with a good paste wax.

George

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I was out of the house almost all weekend, and didn't have a chance to snap a shot of the wrench I mentioned earlier, but here it is. One old hex-drive socket set and mechanical springless wratchet. This is a Gravely-worthy tool: old design, simple, but purely functional. I have a small metal box and a some more sockets in the Evapo-rust bath. I have a bit more cleanup to do on the wrench handle yet, then finish it with whatever I decide on. It's the inside surfaces and moving mechanism that make this finishing job a bit more difficult than normal. That and my tendency to not do anything halfway...

I'm starting to lean towards just burnishing the surface with the wire brush and then either oiling it or waxing it, but I'm still open to ideas.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.