My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Frank, I wouldn't worry about drag on new bearing. New seals and grease are usually cause. Be sure to align the chain sprockets when you get things together. Glad to hear you finally got inner race off. I remember working mine down shaft about 2" at a time.
dk is right on, grease. By holding the inner race and spinning the outer race with your finger, you'll get maybe 6 revolutions from an oil lubricated bearing, but only 1/4 revolution from a grease lubricated bearing. You're good to go, have fun in the snow! Bob
Thanks for alleviating my concerns about the stiffness of that bearing. Will put it together soon, although its still snowing and the paint is still drying so maybe hit the driveway with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok, so my main concern now that I put it all back together is that the bearing itself has a bit of slop in the pressed flange housing, so the inner and outer races both spin with the shaft. That can't be right, can it? My guess is I should have replaced the flanges because they must have worn enough to remove the grip on the outer race?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Are flanges mounted on each side of housing or on one side? I'm not familiar with your snowblower, so I cant say if they BOTH belong on the inside or the outside. Bob

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Are flanges mounted on each side of housing or on one side? I'm not familiar with your snowblower, so I cant say if they BOTH belong on the inside or the outside. Bob
As I remember it, taking it apart, they one was on the outside, one on the inside. But the added thickness of the housing steel gives the room for the bearing to spin. SO, maybe you are right, maybe they both are on the outside -because that is where there is the profile of the flange in the grease. I'll need to take a closer look, and if that's right, I'm only out 14 bucks for the new flanges.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
With the flanges on the outside, the sprocket doesn't line up with the idler. Guess I should have taken a picture!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yup. collar for bearing is an eccentric locking ring. Slide shaft through bearing into correct position, turn ring to lock, and tighten set screw.

Looking at pic you posted, I'd say the first/outer flange has been removed in order to install puller and both flanges belong on outside. Bob

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looking at pic you posted, I'd say the first/outer flange has been removed in order to install puller and both flanges belong on outside. Bob
That pic is from Toasty's 49 rebuild. I was looking at the sprocket in the rear where you can see the flange. He's working on the the front auger bearing. He didn't go over that part on his rebuild.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If the sprocket is about 3/32nds out of line with the idler, wonder what trouble that will bring. I can maybe fuss with the shaft, pushing it beyond the yoke at the other end to try to make up the difference.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts