My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife is a few months in bake’n our first kid. And we are looking at car seats and strollers and I'm completely lost. Has anyone seen the size of these things?! They look like seats from the space shuttle made by lazy-boy! I think my parents put me in half a spackle bucket and tided me in with some twine. Anyway, wife wants one of those things that works as both a car seat and stroller. I know there are a lot of Dads on hear so help me out if you have any info.
:crybaby:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
cars seats i never had one and now they want them to be in a booster seat till like 4' something?!?!?!?!?!?!

there is small reasonalbe sized seats, and then a normal folding stroller, the combo seems to big to me, but IDK you know how the ladies can be, a guy a work with got his wife a stroller, that cost as much as an old used truck

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
The strollers that hold the infint bucket car seats are nice. Its easy to pull the seat out of the car,[removable base that stays in the car. Nice, easy and quick!] and click it on the stroler, and your good to go. Dont have to wake up a sleaping baby. These bigger strolers are also nice when they are young. The seats are deap, and protected. Cant fall out, or get there hands stuck in things. Once they get older, you will want something smaller, and lighter though.

Ya... the only thing small about babys, are the babys themselves!!! the key is.... Get a mini van!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
12,531 Posts
Like Paul said, get the combination carrier, mount and a big carriage. You'll need the storage under it to carry diaper bags (huge things) and any other supplies to get out with the little one. Forgo the mini van though, not really, they make alot of sense but just are not appealing to the eye. I've rented one 3 or 4 times on trips and they are great to travel in. Good luck with the little one.

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
LOL!!!! Ya.... style wise the MV is not the best, but I like them for the room they have,[ie GT's fit in them :D] and they get better MPG then a SUV. Sadly there are little or no big station wagons left. I would love to have a nice modern vertion of the Ford crown Vic wagon!!!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Jay, if there's a chance you're going to let this happen a second time, go ahead now and get the double in-line stroller with the detachable car seat. You put the base in the car and move the carrier between stroller and the car. We had one which could be converted to a toddler seat as well. Yes, they are huge, and there is no way you can get 3 of them into even the largest of cars.

Now for the unsolicited advice. Take away your wife's credit cards and checkbook now. Burn those baby catalogs before they get into the house. Shop thrift stores for baby clothes (you might get a lot of my wife's $30 outfits, worn 3 monthes, which she couldn't get $0.50 each for at a yard sale). Don't pay more than $100 for a crib. The baby will not remember being covered in a $130 Winnie the Pooh Classic comforter set. The baby industry is predatory, feeding on hormonal new mommies.

·
Administrator
12,531 Posts
Now for the unsolicited advice. Take away your wife's credit cards and checkbook now. Burn those baby catalogs before they get into the house. Shop thrift stores for baby clothes (you might get a lot of my wife's $30 outfits, worn 3 monthes, which she couldn't get $0.50 each for at a yard sale). Don't pay more than $100 for a crib. The baby will not remember being covered in a $130 Winnie the Pooh Classic comforter set. The baby industry is predatory, feeding on hormonal new mommies.
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

That's so true!! When my wife was preggy with our first, she came home with my GMC Jimmy (our primary ride at the time) and parked it in the garage. Her hands were full of shopping bags , hand bag , car keys, you name it. Next day she calls me at work and tells me the garage door won't open to get the Jimmy out so she can go to work. She walked that day. Not very far , 1/2 mile or so. I get home and go in the side door and look to see the rear gate to my truck open and pinned to the garage door. I could tell by all the scratches stiped into the gate that she tried to open the door numerous times without looking into the building to see what all that grinding and banging was about. Word to the wise, take away the garage remote too! Those chemicals are flowing and things can get funky quick. I still haven't let her off the hook for trashing my tailgate.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
No Suggestions on car seats, but congrats on the new addition. :trink21:

PM me, ill send you out an MTF bib if you'd like... :fing32:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bib would be cool! Thanks for the congrats!
Well I seem to be hearing the same things about the multi convertible kits.
We went out today and my wife got a little mad when I was testing out how strong some of these things where by sitting in the displays. I guess you’re not supposed to do that?
My wife is super thrifty and parts with a dollar like it’s out last one and were not poor so I truest her. We have never bough into the fancy name brands before so I don’t see us starting. Both of her parents are still working and I'm sure will be doing a lot of the shopping (I hope). But I have noticed that she is forgetting things that she would have never done before. And then when she realizes that she has forgotten she gets mad at me, also something that she has not done in the past.
Our cars should be OK, two Honda accords. A smaller on from 06 (Her) and a 08 larger one that’s fully loaded (His). The trunks are large and offer more cargo room that I could see in the Honda MV. Our max with kids will be two so I will be planning to do this again pending that I survive this first one.
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
But I have noticed that she is forgetting things that she would have never done before. And then when she realizes that she has forgotten she gets mad at me, also something that she has not done in the past.
Ahhh... remember it fondly.. :D :D :D Ya... so like ....get used to that. :D

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
congrats jayclay, Can i offer some good advise??? Never..NEVER!! argue with a pregnant lady, and bare through the mood swings. I think it just gets us prepared for those long nights when the babies up crying...somethin like that.. i could be wrong. We too planned on just 2 and thats it no more, 2 kids are plenty, but with our Number 3 (100% planned btw) being only alittle over 2 weeks old, It's a trill beyond any other. once again congrats and good luck!!

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a Father JayClay!

Mowin' Man :trink39:

·
Registered
135 Posts
FYI, Graco just came out with a recall on strollers, not sure what you purchased, if anything but just a heads up.

Congrats on being a daddy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts