My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy November everyone!

November-Clipart-7.png

As the weather starts cooling off for many of us, pull up a chair by the fire and have a chat with Dave/funengineer, our Featured Member of the Month for November 2014!

Name: Dave (funengineer)

Member number: 168426

What city, and state, do you live in? Gaylord, Michigan

Are you married? Yes to Sherry for 37 years

Do you have any children? We have two boys, 34 and 28.

Do you have any grandchildren? No grandchildren yet.

What do you do to earn a living? I'm retired I worked in the Parks and Recreation field for 38 years.

How old are you? 59

How did you come to join MTF? I was looking for information on the early John Deere 110's.

What are your favorite forums and why? I usually check our John Deere and Wheel Horse forums.

What do you like most about MTF? I appreciate how we help each other out, the sharing of ideas and the different projects everyone is working on.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment: I collect and restore Wheel Horse for the most part. I have 2) C-81's, an 857, Commando 8 that was my parents, a L-157 Lawn Ranger, 603, several grader/snow blades, blower, mid grader blade, mower decks and pieces of many other tractors and attachments. I just sold my two 1965, JD 110's. I recently purchased a new JD X530 with 54" deck and 47" blower and added a OTC cab and a few other goodies. I also found a like new 1972, 8hp Heavy duty front tine Sears tiller. That thing is a beast.

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why? I'd have to say its my Commando 8.
5.jpg

It was my parents and the tractor that I mowed with for all of my teen years. My mother had sold it when she sold her house and moved into the city. I tracked it down about 10 years ago and used it for snow duty till 2009 when I started a nuts and bolt restoration on it.
3.jpg 4.jpg
Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine published an article on my Commando 8 in their September/October 2014 issue.
Second to the Commando 8 would be my new JD X530. It will only be used for snow blowing and the occasional grading of the parking pads. I can't wait for snow this year. We normally receive on average 150+ inches of snow each year

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday? A Farmall Cub. My parents sold International products in the late 40's early 50's. I have a picture of me sitting on my dads lap on our Cub.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for? Mostly snowblowing with the JD X530. It replaces a Wheel Horse 314-A that I had for 10 years. The other tractors are trailer princesses or waiting for restoration.

Could you describe your property for us? We live in an association on 1/2 acre in the middle of a Maple/Beech forest in northern Michigan along the 45th parallel. Our neighbor that we back up to has 43 acres of vacant forest land and the association has over 600 acres of common ground. I don't have much yard although it has a nice manicured stand of irrigated bluegrass and ryegrass so I use a self propelled mower for that. The rest of the property is either landscaped beds or natural areas. My drive and parking areas are about 4000 square feet. I also handle the snow removal for two of my elderly neighbors.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday? A Farmall Cub but I'd settle for a Farmall A, B, C or H. I'd even consider a General Purpose JD.

Most memorable tractor moment? Besides finishing my first tractor restoration (Wheel Horse 857) I'd have to say it was purchasing my new John Deere X530. Its the first "New" tractor I've owned and I've owned a lot of tractors over the years.
6.jpg

Earliest tractor memories? I have a picture of me pulling my sister around in a trailer behind an International Harvester 450 peddle tractor. I was about 5 or 6 at the time.
2.jpg
My earliest memories are of mowing with my parents Wheel Horse 953 before we bought the Commando 8.
1.jpg

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us? Besides the tractors, we like to garden, fish, camp/travel, canoe and kayak. I like to do projects around the house. I'm currently finishing up on a 13x13 paint booth in my pole barn so I can paint though out the winter.

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

I don't want to sound rude but I've never really cared what others thought of my tractor hobby. My sons have both helped in the first restoration projects I did and enjoy seeing my new acquisitions. My wife is very supportive and enjoys going to tractor shows and meet and greets. I like to tell people that it keeps me out of the bars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats! Very deserving!

·
Three of my friends
9,231 Posts
Good reading,Congratulations Funengineer,some nice work you done,I restored a B Farmall a few years back,had not run in 37 years.

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
Congratulations!!

That WH looks great!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Congratulations. Nice to get to know you better. I have to agree on the great looking Wheel Horse.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations Dave! Nice to know you, and you have a great looking WH. :)

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Congrats Dave :fing32: That sure is a pretty horse nice job. But selling your round fenders for shame LOL Just kidding nice to meet you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for your nice comments guys. I appreciate the FMOM recognition. I enjoy working on these tractors but haven't had much chance in the last year. Been busy building a new post style garage. Just finishing it in time for the weather to turn cold. I want to get it done soon as I've built a small heated 13'x12' paint room in one corner to be able to work on my tractor projects year round.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
Congrats, and great looking Commando 8, don't get those tires dirty!

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Congratulations. Great looking WH resto. How cool it was your parents. Love the answer on what others think of your tractor hobby. Love that, and definitely not rude.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Congrats!! great looking Wheel Horse!

·
John1961
16 Posts
Dad had one of those for 40 years, I cut a lot grass & pushed tons of snow on that machine. Dad had the engine rebuilt once and I rebuilt the engine once. Dad traded it for a Cub Cadet and the Cub for a Snapper. You did a great job! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Congratulations on being member of the month.

I still have a soft spot for my first lawn mower, a 1962 Wheel Horse which I believe was a 552. It was a very nice mower, but the 5 1/2 hp Tecumseh wasn't very good. Motor went bad twice in 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
Well earned recognition from L&GT magazine and from the us at MTF! :thThumbsU

Congratulations! :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congrats Dave, nice to get to know you better :thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 31 Posts