My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the model number & DOM plate, yet, when I try to find out any info on it, there is none, however, there is info on the 7-39004x92. Mine is 6-39004x92. Hmmmmm.....

Then.....then....the Date of Manufacture....3435. Is there a mathematician or a numerologist who can decipher both of these numbers, especially the Date of Manufacture?

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That 4 digit code is a brain splinter. Your DOM is a perfect example too. The theory is they used the Julian system. The first digit would be the last digit of the year. The last three digits would be the day of the year. No good.

Our best bet is going by the Briggs code number located on the engine, probably stamped on the shroud. That will get us within 1 year of the tractor age.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Let me look through my Murray files and see what I can dig up.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
OK,
Your tractor should be from 1986 - model #39004. That X92 would have signified who it was sold to/by. For instance, model #'s that end in X8A were sold by Home Depot. X92 may be Farm n Fleet? Anyway, that 6 before the 39004X92 should be the last digit of the year made. Murray made everything much more difficult than they had to. Unlike say Case or JD who has easy short model numbers. 444, 318 etc.

So in a nutshell

6 = last digit of year made
39004= The actual Model #
X92= Who sold it

·
Registered
315 Posts
my guess is that this machine is an '86 MY built on the 343rd day of 1985.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I found the model number & DOM plate, yet, when I try to find out any info on it, there is none, however, there is info on the 7-39004x92. Mine is 6-39004x92. Hmmmmm.....
The 7-39004X92 would be the 1987 model year tractor. Your model tractor was made from 1985 - 1989. If you pm an email address I can email you a parts blow up for your machine.

boneyard.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is no such thing as a dumb Q
...just dumb answers. LMAO

It never ceases to amaze of the trouble that corporate execs will go thru to hide or disguise model & DOM's. I would be curious as to why?

The explaination of the model # actually sounds valid. The DOM.....well, Huffy, it does sound...plausible. lol I sent a message to Murray about the same thing. Let's see what they say. I have a strange feeling that they won't have a clue.

Three cheers for corporate! Hurray! Hurray! What was the question? :sidelaugh

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The DOM.....well, Huffy, it does sound...plausible. lol I sent a message to Murray about the same thing. Let's see what they say. I have a strange feeling that they won't have a clue.
I agree, the DOM does seem plausable, until you run into tags like the one below. If you switch the year and day it still will not work with some tags [ie no day 903], although the 9 before the model number tells us it was made in 1979 or 1989. And if you flip the numbers and make the first digit the year, you run into the same problem with other tags. In 2000 they finally went to a mm/dd/yyyy system. I'm curious to see what Murray [well, Briggs] says myself. I think you are right, my bet is on no clue. I bet they will be able to tell you what province in China is stamping out "Murray" snowblowers though............Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Here is a better example. If you "run" this model number, this tractor is from 1996. No matter how I try to use these DOM numbers, I get nowhere.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here is a better example. If you "run" this model number, this tractor is from 1996. No matter how I try to use these DOM numbers, I get nowhere.

Check out the exerpt taken from Wikipedia:

Murray has a history of lawn and garden (L&G) equipment. In June 1988, Murray was acquired by Tomkins plc of Great Britain. In 1993, the new company purchased the Noma brand of L&G equipment. It manufactured under a variety of brands, including for other companies. Murray licensed the Stanley brand and produced lawn and garden mowers and snow blowers sold at Wal-Mart and other retailers.[5] The machines were built at the former bicycle facility in Lawrenceburg.

The Murray brand was acquired by Briggs & Stratton in 2004. On August 30, 2005, Lawrenceburg produced its last lawnmower, closing on September 30, 2005.[6]

If I remember can remember way back, they finally stopped putting Murray Ohio, MFG. on the equipment ID tags around 1994 or 1995. I think the ID tags after these years always said Murray, Inc.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If I remember can remember way back, they finally stopped putting Murray Ohio, MFG. on the equipment ID tags around 1994 or 1995. I think the ID tags after these years always said Murray, Inc.
Are you thinking that tag on the red machine is actually a 1994 and not a 1996 built on the 52nd day of the year? That could be.

·
Banned
2 Posts
...just dumb answers. LMAO

It never ceases to amaze of the trouble that corporate execs will go thru to hide or disguise model & DOM's. I would be curious as to why?

The explaination of the model # actually sounds valid. The DOM.....well, Huffy, it does sound...plausible. lol I sent a message to Murray about the same thing. Let's see what they say. I have a strange feeling that they won't have a clue.

Three cheers for corporate! Hurray! Hurray! What was the question? :sidelaugh

Yes we do get a few dumb answers thats for sure lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you thinking that tag on the red machine is actually a 1994 and not a 1996 built on the 52nd day of the year? That could be.
I think it may be a 1994 (52nd day of 1994). It was sometime between 94-96 when they stopped using Murray Ohio Mfg. I wish I could remember exactly what year it was.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes we do get a few dumb answers thats for sure lol
Well, here's another one....from Murray.
I had asked them to explain the breakdown of the model number and the DOM. Here is their reply:

"On 8/10/2010 2:03 PM, Murray wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Attached is the parts list covering model 6-39004X92A

6 means produced for 1986 (actually manufactured late 1985)

39 means it is a 39"
X92A is who Murray made it for (Walmart)

If you have any further questions, feel free to update this e-mail, or call our Murray Answer Center at 800-528-5087, M-F 8-5PM CST.

Sincerely,
R. Young
Briggs & Stratton/Murray
Answer Center"

I think they were stumped on the DOM, cuz they didn't answer it. :sidelaugh

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
And the info they did give you they probably got from this thread via Googles spidering.............or whatever they call it.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I think it may be a 1994 (52nd day of 1994). It was sometime between 94-96 when they stopped using Murray Ohio Mfg. I wish I could remember exactly what year it was.
I think you may be right.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The 3435 jives with what they are saying about late 1985 also. That must be the way these tags are read. 343 rd day of 1985.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My GT is a.....39"? So, if someone asks what I have, I can say with complete confidence that I have a 39 inch Garden Tractor(?)! :thThumbsU:sidelaugh

Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
The old 11/36 that i've got out back under the tarp has a Briggs engine date code of 1984. The tractor's id tag has a 5-######### model number and an mfg date of 300 something and then a number 4, so I figure it was made in late '84 (nov or dec), but it's considered a 1985 MY tractor. I'll have to snap a pic of the tag the next time I uncover it to work on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts