My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was mowing today and for some reason the cut seemed to be off, I'd just leveled the deck earlier so thought it odd that it would happen so fast. Then I saw a trail of brown on the grass and thought maybe I'd gotten a hydraulic leak. When I looked to my left the weights on the rear wheel were covered in brown liquid and then the sickly sweet smell hit. I have a leak in my tire filled with Rimguard, not just a leak though it was spurting out like someone cut an artery:

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
That looks like a sticky mess!

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like a sticky mess!
Yep, taking a break right now since I got the front finished before that happened. New tires on order already too, but not happy because those were Carlisle Super Lugs and they were hard to find when I got them 4 or 5 years ago. I've never seen one bubble out on a GT before so that's a new one on me. It actually pulled the bead up away from the rim.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Looks more like it ripped along the rim on the sidewall just above the actual bead.
In the last six or seven years I've refused shipment of several sets of tires that were six to ten years out of the moulds. NOS is bad mojo when it comes to tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Ahhh..Tim..sorry you are having the problem...were you able to salvage any of the beet juice?

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll find out in a bit when I take it off, but it was coming out pretty fast. I don't suspect I will have much left in there.

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I didn't lose all the RimGuard, but probably at least half of it. Not sure it's worth trying to salvage the remaining amount, might have a lot of dirt in it. I've already got 2 new tires on order so I will try to capture what is in the other one before I take them to get the new tires mounted and RimGuard added.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I once had a blister develop when I accidentally ran the tire up against a post with a bit of steel wrapped around it. The steel shifted and rubbed the side of the tire very hard. While it didn't leak at that moment, it apparently weakened a spot and a week later, a blister appeared.
It is hard to tell just how well these non road tires are made.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Rimguard degrades the rubber. They say it does not, but it does. Not sure that is what caused it but IMO refill with windshield washer fluid and fill closer to 90% to make up the slight weight difference

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear this Tim. What a mess.

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part of tractor ownership, at least I had extra HDAPs to put on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
Rimguard degrades the rubber. They say it does not, but it does. Not sure that is what caused it but IMO refill with windshield washer fluid and fill closer to 90% to make up the slight weight difference
Matt, do you have any info on the mechanism for this? I did a search and came up with info about how Rimguard can seep past the brass inserts in rubber valve stems and eject them but I think you are supposed to replace them with metal ones anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Wow, sorry Tim, that sucks. Looks like quite a sticky mess, not to mention the cost. Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, sorry Tim, that sucks. Looks like quite a sticky mess, not to mention the cost. Good luck with it!
Well, I really liked the Super Lugs, but I put an off brand set on the NY322 and they seem to be about the same so I ordered up another set of those for PA322. I was considering Tru Powers but they seem like they'd tear up the yard more.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Matt, do you have any info on the mechanism for this? I did a search and came up with info about how Rimguard can seep past the brass inserts in rubber valve stems and eject them but I think you are supposed to replace them with metal ones anyways.
This much I cannot say except from experience.. Rim Guard has made a note that the glue used in regular valve stems will be eaten by the rim guard. That in itself suggests its somewhat caustic.. The failed valve stems has been the reason I have to service tires with it, as my shop does not pump rim guard. The metal part will pull right away from the rubber... But when you pull a tire apart that has had rim guard in it for any length of time, the inner liner is very soft and compromised

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well, I really liked the Super Lugs, but I put an off brand set on the NY322 and they seem to be about the same so I ordered up another set of those for PA322. I was considering Tru Powers but they seem like they'd tear up the yard more.
I put Hi-Run lug/ R1 tires on one of my tractors and the tread is about what the Super Lugs are and they are great

·
Super Moderator
36,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered a set of Antego Super Lug 4 Plys from Miller Tire, I have them on the NY322 and they are very similar to the Carlisle Super Lugs. They did great at the recent Plow Day so I wasn't worried about getting another set.

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
This much I cannot say except from experience.. Rim Guard has made a note that the glue used in regular valve stems will be eaten by the rim guard. That in itself suggests its somewhat caustic.. The failed valve stems has been the reason I have to service tires with it, as my shop does not pump rim guard. The metal part will pull right away from the rubber... But when you pull a tire apart that has had rim guard in it for any length of time, the inner liner is very soft and compromised
Thanks. I did a search and found an MSDS sheet on it stating it was slightly acidic at pH 5.0-6.0. I can see it softening rubber at this pH over time.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Thanks. I did a search and found an MSDS sheet on it stating it was slightly acidic at pH 5.0-6.0. I can see it softening rubber at this pH over time.
I had never even thought about looking at an MSDS.. But yup makes sense.. There is a shop that pumps it locally, but in general the farmers hate it, and we hate dealing with it due to the smell.

There is an old farmer trick that you can use calcium chloride in a bare rim as long as you put some oil in the tire as well. It will stop the calcium from corroding entirely. But in a small tire, if there is very little oxygen, there is very little rust anyway. I've serviced small tires filled with calcium chloride and aside from the paint being boiled off, they were fine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts