My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new YTH 2348 just completed it's third cut. The first was after a couple weeks of rain and I knew it wouldn't be a nice cut. The second was 3 days later. The grass had grown pretty fast from all the previous rain and still had a lot of moisture in it. I wasn't happy with the cut then, but decided I'd wait a week. No rain all week, temps in the 90s, very sunny and even breezy a couple of days. Grass is dried out to normal.

My deck is setup as per instructions, blades are sharp (checked even though new). I decided to cut at highest setting (3.5) and then go back over it at 2.5 for the final cut. It doesn't make a uneven cut, but leaves the clippings in lines no matter how many time you go over it. Only thing I can figure is the tight downward exit/turn of the rubber deflector. I can't remove it because Husqvarna choose to expose a good area of the topside of the blade there (first deck I've had that setup like this). Below is what I got. It's actually much worse than it looks in the picture (camera phone late evening). Any ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture from the rear of the mower showing how tight the deflector is towards the ground. No amount of squeezing by me will open up it's shape (returns to same shape).

·
Registered
273 Posts
your guide wheels look like they are way to low check them on a level surface 1/4-1/2 inch above the level surfice at your mowing setting and the nose roller as well if it has one also make sure the tires have the right amount of pressure in them check and make sure the frout two are even and the back two are even check on the tires for right psi

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Do you have a mulch plug for it? If so, you may as well try mulching. That way you can mow in the opposite direction with the uncut side on the right and overlap the previous pass to pickup the windrow.

That's what I do, and since I don't ever side discharge, I cut a few inches off the discharge chute so it doesn't stick out so far.

·
mowing some grass
115 Posts
Here's a picture from the rear of the mower showing how tight the deflector is towards the ground. No amount of squeezing by me will open up it's shape (returns to same shape).

if you trim the guard right on the line below where it says 48, it will help a whole bunch. i have done this many times and dosent cause any problems, most dealers will suggest this but they wont do it for you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have the blade been balanced after they were shapend may be the bracket that holds the flapper on to the deck is bent are the blade upside down

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Have the blade been balanced after they were shapend may be the bracket that holds the flapper on to the deck is bent are the blade upside down
This is a brand new mower. I think it has the factory edge on the blades. I doubt the dealer would put them on upside down.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree with Nitro.....cut that silly thing right on that line.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you trim the guard right on the line below where it says 48, it will help a whole bunch. i have done this many times and dosent cause any problems, most dealers will suggest this but they wont do it for you.
That's exactly what I did this morning. Last night I decided I was going to modify it after looking how JD does there deflectors. I looked up and ordered a replacement online. Since I have a replacement coming, I went ahead this morning and cut along that line below the "48" (great minds must think alike :D).

Today, I cut the side yard, the front yard and the neighbors yard which was way overgrown. 100% better. Instead of concentrating the clippings into a line it lets them spread out some. :fing32:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the chute look anything like the one shown in the link below. Yours appears as if it's dragging on the ground and would be blocked off at the end. It should shoot the clippings out the end, but it looks like they're just clumping up in a row.
Was it your dealer that set this up?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...awn Mowers&cm_cat=Shopzilla&cm_ven=Aggregates
These must be old style chutes. Even the Husqvarna site shows them like that, but the one on mine and all the others in the store are angled down. The replacement part number for the Husqvarna deflector is a Sears 180655X428. Searching that you can see that they look like below with an angled downturn. That is exactly how it looks on my mower (well, before I cut it anyway).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought the same exact model tractor, and it does the same exact thing. Once I am sure I'll be keeping it, I am cutting down the chute deflector. I think it has to be liability why HOP doesn't open up the design to let the grass out.

I bought a Craftsman for my Mom last spring that does the EXACT same thing, 46" cut though. I mulch with her tractor so it isn't that big of a deal. But when I do side-discharge its maddening...:fing20:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've cut the chute on mine about a year ago and it still didn't help much, so I took a piece of wood and cut it down to where it would fit underneath where the chute mounts (right in front of the spring) it keeps it up high enough to where it blows out the grass alot better. It still clumps up a little bit when it's wet, but it's a heck of alot better than when it was new.

I usually let the clippings dry and go back over them to spread them out better.

Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have this problem and I have the mulch plug installed. The chute is still on the deck, but with it dropped down I couldn't get close to bushes, trees, etc. I drilled a hole in the end, hooked a bungy cord to it, and have the other end of the bungy hooked up to the top of the control dash. This keeps it up and out of the way.

Couldn't a fixed length cord easily be rigged up to hold the chute up in a position where it discharges the grass properly?
Even the previous thread by mtthwvn73 seems to be a good solution.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used to use a rope, but it looks cleaner to me without that rope going up and mounting it up on the seat. The stick isn't a fall hazard. JMO

Matt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Couldn't you cut a wedge of wood from a 2x4 and insert between the deck and the chute? You could used velcro to hold in place if you were worried about security and you could adjust the angle of the wedge until you had desired result.

I am shocked that the chute rides this low on the tractor, nothing like mine on the 2042LX.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I drilled a hole and put a piece of rope (actually a shoe string) thru it,then I can raise up some and tie it off. I've done that to my Snapper RER and Craftsman LT and it works pretty good.
If I'm out in the open I pull it to spread the grass out or lower it for protection when mowing around the house or when the wind is blowing all over me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts