My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased a decent tractor (John Deere X300) I assumed that the accessories were all pretty much created equal, That pretty much any attachment could be used with any tractor. Well I'm beginning to rethink my strategy after today. My father-in-law brought over a PreciseFit spreader/aerator combo unit today so I could prepare the yard for planting more grass seed. The picture attached says it all. I had to rig it to the tractor to get it low enough so that the blades would dig into the ground at all, Even with the lever lowered, it was still several inches from the ground when correctly hitched to the tractor. I was afraid that the aerator bar would catch on something it was so low to the ground. After a few minutes of using it I hit some of the flat stones on my walkway and the bump dislodged one of the cinder blocks which damaged one of the spreader blades when it fell. I had to rig up a 1 x 10 board to wedge into the spreader to keep the blocks from shifting. After about 20 minutes of use, the 14-2 wire I used to rig it up to the tractor snapped due to wear. I skipped the 12-2 and upgraded directly to 10-2 to hold it to the tractor. Over all it didn't do all that bad of a job, but PreciseFit isn't very precise at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A closer view.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm guessing it wasn't assembled correctly.
I'm guessing the same thing. Go back to the assembly instructions.

The way it's mounted, looks like it should be burrying itself

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing it wasn't assembled correctly.
I'm just borrowwing it from a friend of my Father-in-laws, so I don't have a manual/instructions for it. I looked the unit over again and compared it to the picture and nothing obvious jumps out at me that it's assembed incorrectly. I looked online, I haven't seen any assembly instructions / manual for it yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That mount is similar to the one on my plug aerator. The top piece can be mounted on the bottom for lower hitch heights. The bottom piece shown in the 1st picture would then mount on top of the tractor hitch plate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When standing in front of the spreader there is a lever on your left that latches into a notch which lowers the wheels and lifts the aerator tines from the ground. If you release this lever from the notch and push it to the rear it will raise the wheels, dropping the spreader until it's full weight is on the tines rather than the wheels. At least that is how my Agri-Fab version works which looks identical to the one in the pictures. :trink40:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Went out and got some pictures of my spreader in both the up and down positions. The first pic is of the lever which should control whether the wheels are in the travel position or the spikes are engaged in the ground.
WheelLever.jpg

SpreaderUP.jpg

SpreaderDOWN2.jpg

X300_SpreaderUP.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
A couple of more pics. The final pic is Bruno the Wonder Dog, wondering why I hooked that thing up to the tractor just to take pictures of it instead of giving him more biscuits...
X300_SpreaderDown.jpg

SpreaderDOWN.jpg

Bruno_Spreader.jpg

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Larry, excellent helping hand there!

Not only do you have the same attachment, but also (almost) the same tractor, and you used before and after photos to clearly illustrate the poster's situation and the fix.

Doesn't get much better than that! :congrats:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The wheels in the down position are in direct line with the spikes, so it is obvious by those pics that the height of the drawbar should have no effect on the depth of the spikes.

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is off topic but, Larry that teardrop in the background is SWEET! I've been wanting to build one of those for a while. I have a small boat traier I thought would make a nice platform for one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is off topic but, Larry that teardrop in the background is SWEET! I've been wanting to build one of those for a while. I have a small boat traier I thought would make a nice platform for one.
Thanks. The teardrop, which I named the "Escape Pod" has been an ongoing project for a few years now. It's a lot more fun to hook it up and go for a weekend than the big 5th wheel I used to have was. For long stays the 5'er was great.

I know several have been built on modified boat trailers. I built mine on a 4x8 Horror Fright trailer.:trink40:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out and got some pictures of my spreader in both the up and down positions. The first pic is of the lever which should control whether the wheels are in the travel position or the spikes are engaged in the ground.
Thanks for the pics, when the lever is shifted down, the wheels only move 2 inches of so forward, the the aerator shifts down only 2 inches. The wheels on my unit are not shifting all the way forward like you have yours. I have the cinder blocks already loaded onto the unit for weight before I try to shift it down. perhaps thats where the problem lies, maybe the heavy blocks are perventing it from moving all the way forward like it should. When I get home I'll take another look at it, thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the pics, when the lever is shifted down, the wheels only move 2 inches of so forward, the the aerator shifts down only 2 inches. The wheels on my unit are not shifting all the way forward like you have yours. I have the cinder blocks already loaded onto the unit for weight before I try to shift it down. perhaps thats where the problem lies, maybe the heavy blocks are perventing it from moving all the way forward like it should. When I get home I'll take another look at it, thanks.
Personally, I do not simply release that lever. Even when empty you need to push the lever back, the lever will be more or less vertical. The wheels will not be carrying any of the load when fully disengaged. There is no adjustment, it is either locked in "travel mode" or in "spreader mode".

With the concrete blocks on there it may be a little harder to move the lever back as the design of the mechanism requires it to lift the spreader a bit before lowering it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now see my error, the lever has to be pulled UP to shift the wheels forward, I just assumed that it was suppose to go down to lower the blades on the aerator.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey, this was a very helpful thread. :thanku: I bought an aerator with no wheels and tried to fabricate a lift system, but the framework wasn't strong enough to hold up the implement with blocks on it.:crybaby: Now I think I may be able to make something comparable to this design. If I get around to remaking it i will post some before and after pix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Larry,
I'm guessing you like your spreader/spiker?
I see them on Amazon for $350. Your thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSYL82...VPDKIKX0DER&tag=yahoo-tools06-20&linkCode=asn

View attachment 66756

View attachment 66757

View attachment 66759

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have that same AgriFab unit that Larry does and i have to say it does a bang up job for what it is. We cut a 2 acre lot out of one of our cornfields about 4 years ago so my mom could build her retirement home and i bought one of these seeders and drug it behind an old Cub Cadet. Even though we had left the corn residue (all stalks, some still 6" in ground, cobs etc.) it did a heck of job planting grass seed. I draped 2 of the 50 pound bags i hadn't used yet on the seeder for some extra weight but not on the loose seed itself. Only issue i ran into was operator error in a few areas i missed lacking any kind of marking system like on the big equipment which i filled in after the seed had come up. Four years later there is a beautiful lawn but still no house lol. Other bad part is i haven't used the seeder much because my friends keep borrowing it. The one thing i didn't like was the cheap plastic wheels so i replaced those with pneumatics and it rolls much easier.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts