My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've found an M50 tank locally, and it looks like it would make short work of my lawn and trees. it's supposedly commercial grade with the tried and true command engine. however, the deck looks like it may have been borrowed from low-end 10XX series tractors. am i seeing this correctly? did cub ruin a perfectly good mower by putting a junk deck on it? is this deck going to be a pain to maintain? should i just stick with my 2185?

my '98 2185 has 550+ hours. i say "+" because i noticed that the hour meter has a crimped-on terminal, probably fixed by the New Holland dealer before i bought it at 440 hours. gotta say, the engine runs great and uses/leaks no oil in the 110 hours i've used it.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I've heard that the tanks are pretty much "tanks" there's quite a few around here. A true commercial grade machine.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I`m was a member of a commercial landscape forum, that went belly up. There were some complaints about Cubs commercial equipment. One guy bought a new M50 and it spent more time in the shop being repaired. Another member was a owner of a commercial equipment store that sold Cub`s he said he had a lot of trouble getting Cub Cadet (MTD) to cover warranty work and parts were hard to get.

He said he finally dropped them, said he`d rather have return customers, not someone bad mouthing him, because he sold them that didn't work. Don`t know if this is still the case. I`d do a Google search on complaints for that zero turn, that just might save you a lot of grief. I don`t see many Cub Cadet commercial equipment on trailers around here just a few RZT 50`s that someone starting out will use.

Are you sure it`s a M50, they had a fabricated mower deck, Maybe its a RZT50 if thats what it is that not a commercial machine a home owner zero turn, with a stamped sheet metal mower deck.

Sample #1 does it look like this.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=33817&langId=-1&partNumber=17AI2ACP010

Sample #2 or does it like this. now this a brand new one. They don`t even show one with a 50" mower deck. Only 48, 54, 60 and 72 inch.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=43279&langId=-1&partNumber=53AH8STB050

I did a little checking and the only reference was to the Z Force that used a stamped sheet metal deck, if it`s got two transmissions instead of two pumps and wheel motors then its a consumer mower, not commercial.

I`d keep looking....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Exactly. I don't know of any Tank series Cub ZTR with a stamped steel deck. I've got a 2010 Cub Z-Force 44" with a fab'd deck. Overall I love it, but ZTRs are not the best on rough, sloping property. For those reasons I miss my 2544. The only complaint I have with my Z-Force is how ridiculously loud the deck ROARS. Even at part throttle. It's WAAAY louder than the 44" was on my 2544.

Joel

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's like #2, except a 2006 model. and the deck does appear to be stamped, not fab'd. has 270 hours on it. it looks plenty tough except for the deck.

i did some research and the also had an M48 at the same time with a fab deck. found some reviews where the owner said he sold three after the decks wore through in 1 or 2 years (real commercial use).

as far as deck roar, my 301 48" 3 blade sounds like a B29 flying too low :Stop:.... you don't even hear the motor, well until you shut it off. then you get the well known command backfire. sure cuts good though!

·
forkz
6,168 Posts
i have a 06 z50 the manual says it has a formed deck i cut about 4 acres a week since 06 no major problems with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts