My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn’t really sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if need be, anyway, I spotted this deck this morning while I was up at the junkyard I frequent, immediately recognized it as the pretty rare piece for the 19” fiesta with the Briggs engine. Looked underneath, and it is brand new. its dirty but I think it will clean up super good. I have no need for it but thought there was a good chance a forum member would be interested. I didn’t ask for a price but this guy is very reasonable. If you are interested just send me a PM I can give you the address and phone number of the shop. It’s located in Apollo PA if you want to look that up on a map.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guessing you were at the (other) Matt's shop? ;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
This is what one looks like without the plastic cover. They are a Toro Whirlwind that was made after Toro stopped making that style Whirlwind about 1972/3. Basically a new model from old parts. They also used a Briggs instead of a Tecumseh engine. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what one looks like without the plastic cover. They are a Toro Whirlwind that was made after Toro stopped making that style Whirlwind about 1972/3. Basically a new model from old parts. They also used a Briggs instead of a Tecumseh engine. Roger
Cool, thanks for the info. I knew they shared the deck with the early whirlwind but that’s about all I knew.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
They also didn't sell well and were only made for one or two years. People who wanted a Toro were willing to pay more for the red paint. Roger

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They also didn't sell well and were only made for one or two years. People who wanted a Toro were willing to pay more for the red paint. Roger
That’s interesting, I’d pay extra for the green paint since I think it’s kinda cool lol

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
PM sent!

The Fiesta was 1971 only. It was a transitional deck. It was the same at the back end as the 1961 through 1971 Whirlwind and at the grass outlet, unlike the revised 1972 Whirlwind deck that was shortened at the rear and changed at the grass outlet, but the front of the Fiesta deck was like the 1972 Whirlwind in that it had a decal rather than the T O R O letters as part of the casting. So, the Fiesta deck was sort of half 1971 Whirlwind and half 1972 Whirlwind.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Thought I would give everyone an update on this deck. I will be picking it up in April or May. The shop also has a 19" Whirlwind II complete mower, circa 1977-79 that I will be picking up at the same time.

I have considered various options for the deck. The Fiestas from the factory had the wheels with no metal bushings, throttle cable that was not very good, and handles that were quite uncomfortable. I have decided to drill out the spot in the casting for the Tecumseh pass-through muffler and swap everything over from my 1968 Whirlwind. I will exchange the white washout plug and height adjuster knobs for some nos black ones that I have on hand. I considered painting the shroud in a shade of blue, but then I had the inspiration of Rustoleum Satin Poppy Red....because then the red, white, and green color scheme will match the flag of Mexico, which Toro could have done with the Fiesta mowers to begin with! Should be a fun project. Here is a photo of the '68.

20191211_170055.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts