My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what anti virus software everyone uses...
When I was working the company always used Norton ,so I always purchased Norton ...
My daughter told me she uses Microsoft Security and has not had any problems... Its free !!!!!!
Norton depending anywhere from free with rebates or buying a new pc to 50-$100 .
Norton runs out in 13 days ,,,wondering what I should do..!! or what everyone else uses !!

Thanks for all the come backs in advance..

·
Super Moderator
33,612 Posts
Norton 360 is what I use. I have used McAffee and ESET and AVG in the past though.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts

·
JD 318 Owner
45 Posts
I run Microsoft Internet Security - Real lite on the PC but keeps out the Viruses. Used to run Symantec/Norton, they bogged down my PC too much. AVG is great!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
not a fan of what Norton or McAffee do to system performance....let alone how the nasty stuff out there atually uses Norton to protect and propagate some infections.

and god help you if you have to do a system repair once either one fails. Even more trouble tryin to remove them for any reason. (expired license, crashed or corrupted program, etc.)

Avast or AVG work very well, are free on the basic versions, easy to license, light on system resources, removable and reinstallable if they get hiccups (unlike Norton wich needs a "removale tool" from Symantec that may or may not get it all out--and horrbiley cripples your computer in the process...)

Toss in the Windows Defender, and Lavasoft's Adaware...and yer pretty well set to go. (Windows Defender is part of the Vista & 7 OS now.. usually part and parcel w. the windows updates)

M$'s Security is fair to palpable. But it reminds me a lot of Norton & McAffee. I guess if you paid the money for it, and you are comfy using it...no real harm in keep up with it vs the other options out there. Any coverage is better than nuthin these days. :-D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have always heard Norton and McAffee referred to as bloatware and have noticed they are practically impossible to uninstall. I used AVG for a while a long time ago. Avast! is installed on the other PC. I have been using Comodo Internet Security for the past few years. They promote their paid one, but the free one works just fine. It is probably a little more advanced and complicated than the other stuff though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Have used Norton, Mcafee. Both too much crap with them, Used AVG it worked great until it wanted to upgrade all the time and started "losing files " Got rid of that and use Microsoft security essentials, This by far works great and is free! also use Windows Defender and adaware by lavasoft and I dont have any issues, Be careful where you surf and make sure you trust the site you want to download from and you will be fine .

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am using avast which seems to work well for me as it has caught a few things along the way...and it is not bloatware like norton. As for avg, one day it let a virus in and ruined the OS...so that finished me on AVG. been running avast for some time now starting with the free version...then they offered to upgrade to 1 year for the paid version for $9.99...that was acceptable to me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am using avast which seems to work well for me as it has caught a few things along the way...and it is not bloatware like norton. As for avg, one day it let a virus in and ruined the OS...so that finished me on AVG. been running avast for some time now starting with the free version...then they offered to upgrade to 1 year for the paid version for $9.99...that was acceptable to me.
As for avg, one day it let a virus in and ruined the OS...so that finished me on AVG.

This is what basically happened to me , But it was a AVG implanted Virus as it did it to 2 on our puters and I learned from the 1st 1 to just get rid of avg and did not loose the OP system on the 2nd puter , I just uninstalled AVG and things were fixable

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I use Norton's.
Maybe I should not tell everyone my secret.
I buy last years unopened model off ebay cheap and install it.
The software will updates at no cost to the latest version for free...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use Norton's.
Maybe I should not tell everyone my secret.
I buy last years unopened model off ebay cheap and install it.
The software will updates at no cost to the latest version for free...
Never gave that a thought to buy last yrs and at a cheaper price !!

Good One !!! Even at the cheaper price Symantec is still making money !!

·
Super Moderator
33,612 Posts
Norton was known to hit the system pretty hard till the 360 version came out. I do not notice any performance issues running 360! I like the integration it has and it makes configuring the firewall a breeze if you understand the concept! I have never been hit with a virus or trojan since using it. We also use it for our District Judges offices and have not seen a problem since using it.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,026 Posts
I used AVG Free for years with no problems. Then, a couple months ago it let a virus in that I couldn't get rid of. I ended up bringing the PC to a computer store and they were able to remove it using Super Anti Spyware Pro. They left a lifetime subscription for it on my computer and told me it was the best out there. I guess time will tell but I like it so far and it doesn't slow down the computer. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I use AVG free along with Zone alarm firewall, and also run free adaware and spybot to back those up.
I had Nortons a while back, a new update came out from 8 to 9 or something like that, I was in the middle of my year 'purchased' packaged. Well, the update totally screwed the old version and did not install the new one. I went back to my emails to get where I had purchased, emailed them and they had no record of my account even though I had the email receipt with all my info/account numbers, etc. Told them to stick it, then went to AVG.
As said earlier, took me forever to un-install their crap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts