My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my initial test mount was a failure, mainly due to the chintzy straps that Northstar supplied with the tank, the straps could not hold the weight of the tank. So between me and my friend Rich, we brain stormed and came up with an idea that worked. So today I went to Lowes and picked up some finish grade Luan in 3/4" thickness, some heavy duty ratchet straps and some contractor Polyurethane adhesive.

I bonded two sheets of the 3/4" Luan together and ripped to dimensions and then drilled and counter sunk wood screws into the top plate and bottom plate. I also ran a piece on the bottom and top plates that ensures the plates center on the two JD suitcase weights and it makes sure the weights can not shift.

I am going to let the poly glue cure for 24 hours and then I am going to miter the top plate on the ends (45's) and I need to cut the bottom plate down a little as it's wider than it needs to be. I am going to install some loops on the bottom to keep the straps from ever walking and then I will primer and finish with JD Green paint.

Total cost for materials was $45 including four nice ratchet straps (440lbs capacity on each).

Here are some photos!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Make a frame for it out of steel. IMO using plywood on a 10k tractor looks tacky.

I'd like to have that sprayer though. How much current does it draw?

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a custom made bracket, I do not know the MFG of it. I bought it off of Maverick off the forums here.. It's sweet :)

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
35,822 Posts
Nice sprayer Brett! Looks like the mount worked out OK. Looks to me like there's just enough room between the top and bottom and the weights for a nice cooler full of beverages!!!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PA318,

I think you are onto something! :)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Good work on it. slkpk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks Good!! I changed out the wand hose on mine for one of those coiled-up (technical term) models and it sure made it handier to use on the 4 wheeler.

Now that I look at your video, looks like your wand is going to be stationary.:fing20:

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
It won't look tacky once it's sanded and sprayed. I don't have the metal fab tools to do it out of metal, or it would have been made out of metal.

Good question on the current... No idea! Just checked the specs and can't find it..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347993_200347993
Good Grief. All you need is a hacksaw, patience, and arms like Popeye.

Actually, if you have the first two, you'll have the Popeye arms when you're done fabbing the mount. :fing32:

·
Registered
670 Posts
In reality all you need is a $100 flux mig welder from Harbor Freight, a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and a tape measure.

The holes for a steel mount are already there on the side of your weight bracket.

It's to bad you didn't live around the corner from me Brett. I could fab up a mounting bracket for that in an afternoon. :trink39:

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know you could :) But I've made my bed.. and once it's finished tonight it will look loads better I promise! :)

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Nice work..Should look good painted. :thThumbsU

I have one that lifts on and off my Load and Go Utility Deck.

I am considering fabbing a boom sprayer for it. Right now I use it for spraying fence lines.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ken,

You already have the mounting holes for the Boom. All you need is the boom, boom bracket, manifold barb and a piece of hose. You may be able to get those pieces from Northern Tool.

Primer coat is drying, JD Green oil based going on tomorrow night, it's looking good!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Primer coat is on the wood... JD Green top coat goes on tomorrow.. this is gonna look good! :)

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finito Burrito!

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Brett, looks great, but you need to find either green or yellow ratchet straps. Then it be perfect.:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 28 Posts