My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like the first snow of the season will be coming through over the weekend. Depending on where you live and the elevation, it could be nothing or it could be a respectable snow.

I still want to replace the rubber deflector and change the oil in my ma210 gearbox, but otherwise I think I am pretty much ready. I doubt I'll see a snow cannon-worthy snow here in central jersey though.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I always liked driving in 3-4 inches of snow before the plows come through for a couple of reasons.

1 - The drive is almost always smooth, peaceful, calm, and quiet.

2 - Watching the idiots drive past at 60 and then seeing them a mile down the road in the ditch was fun. By the 3rd snow, all the idiots had wrecked their cars and stayed off the road or slowed down

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My neighbors always thought I was crazy that I would go out to drive in the snow as it was falling or before the plows had come though.

If you've got all wheel drive, it's fun to do a little snow drifting :) I had an extra set of studded snow tires I would use sometimes, but they almost had too much grip to be any fun in the snow. In the dry with no snow or ice, they were pretty scary though. Soft sidewalls and the studs really compromise the dry-pavement grip.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I was planning on doing one more mow before winter, then take the deck off the 812 and put the blower back on. Maybe need to accelerate that timetable :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was planning on doing one more mow before winter, then take the deck off the 812 and put the blower back on. Maybe need to accelerate that timetable :)
I was getting tired of mowing, anyway

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Up here in Maine we are supposed to get 3-6". my '51 L with square chute is ready.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Boy I am glad that I live in Canada as we are not getting any snow wet, and I am not looking forward to it coming as I still have potatos and carrets to get dug up

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I won't have the benefit of a two-stage snow blower this storm. I still need the Craftsman set up for bagging leaves.

I will throw the model 37A, weights and chains on my JD 110H, or I'll get ambitious and try and figure out the snow blower hookup for my new MTD 990. The trusty JD 214 just needs chains on it's loaded turfs and it will be ready for plowing.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had an inch on the ground this morning. Forecast is for 5"-8" tomorrow night. I'm doubting more than a couple, although I wouldn't be surprised to see that much at my camp (where I'll be tomorrow night). Unfortunately, I neglected to get up there to mow the place for the last 3 weeks in a row, and it surely doesn't look like its gonna get mowed on Sunday, so it looks like I'll be going into winter with a mini hayfield for a yard.

JayC

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I thought cussing was not allowed in this forum...

We had our first frost last night, there goes my tomatoes.

Roger

·
Registered
199 Posts
Early season coastal storms are always so much fun. I had +3" snow yesterday that did not completely melt and it looks likely that the western Mass hilltowns will see plowable snow with this weekend storm. Like a lot of the members here I am not ready. At least my woodpile is covered and I dettached my rotary cutter. I will probably drop my FEL toothbar tomorrow.

·
youtube.com/5Tractorguy
497 Posts
Looks like tomorrow night we may be getting anywhere from 1" to 6". I almost doubt that we will be getting over 1 or 2. Pulled out my trusty Simplicity snow blower just in case we get enough. Hasn't run since March. Turned on the gas, one pull on the rope was all it took.

Just for kicks, had my mom grab a few pics after I went to school of the light snow with the changing leaves. Looks kind of neat, but I much rather see all those leaves gone. Too many on the trees for snow now.

DSCN3490.jpg DSCN3485.jpg

DSCN3489.jpg

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,734 Posts
I had a skid kit shipped to dad for the snow blade on the Pro 8. He should be ready if they get any.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I only heard about this oncoming nor'easter tonight. I just mowed out east today. The 814 is still out there. I can always mount the plow on the 816, or 430 if I have to (not even thinking about mounting a blower), but I'm not really expecting much of anything, if anything, here on L.I. at this time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts