My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the user guide on my Bolens QT16 it says i sould use 10w30 oil. Do you think it will damage the engine if i run this on 10w 40 mineral oil?

The engine is an Onan 16hp from 1976 i think. I do not know what type of oil thats on the engine now, but i plan to change filter and oil on it now. I have several liters of 10W 40 engine oil, thats why i ask, sorry for the NOOB question... (PS im norwegian, do not mark my english;) )

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The best oil is synthetic, but I would not run mineral oil, 10w 30 or 10w 40 regular oil also.
Also welcome to the Bolens gang forum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best oil is synthetic, but I would not run mineral oil, 10w 30 or 10w 40 regular oil also.
Also welcome to the Bolens gang forum.
Ive read somewhere that you should not use synthetic oil when mineral has been used in several years. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ive read somewhere that you should not use synthetic oil when mineral has been used in several years. Is this wrong?
Yes that is wrong, synthetic oil is the best because it does not ruin seals plus its viscosity does not break down as bad.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome! The QT16 is a wonderful machine. A beast.

Changing the filter and the oil right off is the very wise.

Mineral oil - you mean stuff from the ground?

I got this disturbing picture of clear mineral oil from the pharmacy being poured into the crankcase.

refined oil, mineral oil, or dinosaur oil is fine. 40w is not terribly different from 30w, especially multi grade. You will really want 10-30 if the temp drops below freezing. I prefer synthetic but it is not a religion with me. Change dino oil as suggested in the manual, synthetic you make your choice to run a bit longer.

And if you are really concerned about the QT16, I could relieve your worries and take it off your hands.... No? Ah, it was worth a shot.

In the user guide on my Bolens QT16 it says i sould use 10w30 oil. Do you think it will damage the engine if i run this on 10w 40 mineral oil?(PS im norwegian, do not mark my english;) )
Oh. I just noticed you are in Norway. it will get cold. I prefer synthetic especially in the cold because it does not seem to change viscosity in very cold weather. I had a car with ordinary oil and it was hard to start in the winter. When I changed to synthetic oil it was much easier to start. When it was cold in the morning I noticed the synthetic oil on the dipstick was thinner than the refined oil on the dipstick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And if you are really concerned about the QT16, I could relieve your worries and take it off your hands.... No? Ah, it was worth a shot.QUOTE]

If you come and pick it up you can get for 50 USD :)

PS I do live in Norway, just over the lake from you...

Thanks for all the answers. I will change the oil to 10w-30 synt oil. Any special brands you will recommend? Hard to get filters etc to it in Norway, does anyone have a link to what filters that fit? maybe i can use oilfilter to other viechels?

BTW I have a Onan BF/MS 2938E...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I do not know the requirements for synthetic in Norway. In the US it must be manufactured from particular materials.

You will find inexpensive and very costly oils. I would trust any synthetic except the least expensive brands. Yes you can use filters from other vehicles. I do not know the standard size or how they are classified in Norway., someone else here certainly knows the size.

You could always take the old filter to an auto store and match the size and screw thread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MY GOD, iam so embarrassed, but i have to ask. Tried to locate the oilfilter on the engine, but i cant seem to find it? does it have one? I have located the filter on the hydrostat, and the oil looks brand new...

Hope anyone can give me some suggestion on what brand of oil i should use. In the winter its about -15 celsius here... Will go with the synt. 10w-30 oil, but not sure what brand i should use... This tractor is probably gone give me a heartattack, dont know anything about engines or hydros. Hope it will treat me nice in many years :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Holy Crap that is one nice looking QT16 and very very clean, you must be as bad as me I wash mine after every use. I would go with Castrol Syntec like I do.

Dont worry about not knowing anything about it we here on the forum can help you with any problem, also it will last for ever that QT16 is built to last and is like a tank. :thThumbsU :thThumbsU

·
Registered
829 Posts
That model does not have a oil filter.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Oh forgot to say welcome to the forum.That's a nice looking QT you have.What modifacations have been done to the motor.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What kind of head light do you have on it, they look really cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mods on the engine i dont know, but there is a homebuilt airfilter on it. one change this, not easy to get spareparts to homebiult things (spes when i have the same qualifications as Al Bundy in bulding/repairing stuff).

The headlights where bought at a lokal shop, they are really yellow.

Gone change the oil to night, hope it starts after ive laid my fingers on it.

Again, thanks for all the info and advices from you, probably hear from me again (SOOOOON am afraid)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Oil change will be no problem, warm it up drain all the oil put the plug back in and start it up and let it idle for a little bit check for any leaks and your good to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info! Now i have a new question:

I want to install a electric fuelpump on my Onan motor, but i dont know how large/small the pump should be? How many bar / psi should the pump deliver?

Thanks again guys!

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetai...jID=225&minID=2255&selection=7&minselection=1

Check out this link: This is an electric fuel pump that I put on my Onan-powered QT16. Before I bought this pump, the engine was very temperamental...it would run fine one day and rotten the next.

I had tried everything from carb overhaul and cleaning to diagphram pump replacement. I even installed a "point saver" transistorized ignition upgrade from www.kirkengines.com .

When I finally bought this pump at Advance Auto for about $35, my problems were solved. My Onan ran great, started great, and was consistently reliable.

One sidenote: I've read that several people had trouble with this pump quitting on them. My first pump did as well. I ran if for about a year and it just quit out of the blue. I took it back to Advance Auto and they replaced it with no questions. I could see that the replacements have been upgraded in some fashion. My new one was stilll working just fine, until I pulled the motor and repowered with a 24hp Honda.

I am now planning on putting the pump back on my tractor again, because the Honda is hard starting if it has been sitting for more than a day.

Ted

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetai...jID=225&minID=2255&selection=7&minselection=1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Check out this link: This is an electric fuel pump that I put on my Onan-powered QT16. Before I bought this pump, the engine was very temperamental...it would run fine one day and rotten the next.

I had tried everything from carb overhaul and cleaning to diagphram pump replacement. I even installed a "point saver" transistorized ignition upgrade from www.kirkengines.com .

When I finally bought this pump at Advance Auto for about $35, my problems were solved. My Onan ran great, started great, and was consistently reliable.

One sidenote: I've read that several people had trouble with this pump quitting on them. My first pump did as well. I ran if for about a year and it just quit out of the blue. I took it back to Advance Auto and they replaced it with no questions. I could see that the replacements have been upgraded in some fashion. My new one was stilll working just fine, until I pulled the motor and repowered with a 24hp Honda.

I am now planning on putting the pump back on my tractor again, because the Honda is hard starting if it has been sitting for more than a day.

Ted

This is what iam looking for, to bad there are no dealers in Norway. But i can use the soecs to find something simual. Didi you remove the old fuelpump before you installed the new? Or do you use both?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts