My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I'm a noob that just purchased our first new lawn tractor. I had a budget of $1500-1700, and I just purchased an AC130. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on these around as of yet, so I hope that I've made the right choice. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on things I need to know about buying a new lawn tractor...particularly this model. Also, to those that have purchased an AC 130, how has it been treating you thus far?? THanks
James :thanku:
ps..I posted this in another forum but it may have been the wrong section so I apologize ...I appreciate the advice

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 40 hours on my AC130 and so far it's been pretty good. I didn't like all the play in the wheels and steering, so I added another shim washer to the front wheels and thin nylon ones to the steering link pivots.
The only issues so far have been the following:

The owners manual chart shows Ideal oil to be Synthetic 5W30. After the 25hr oil change with Mobil One, it now uses some oil. My shop told me they never use anything but straight 30W oil in Briggs motors or they will use oil. They also said the first oil change should be done at 5HRS, not 25.

Because of the funny staggered gage wheel setup, the mower has a tendency to scalp hills with the left front corner. I fixed that yesterday by adding another wheel/bracket to the left front.

If you mow in wet grass, make sure to take the deck off as soon as possible to clean it or it tends to plug up. It's easy to see if it needs cleaning by watching the grass as it is flying out of the discharge. If the pattern gets real narrow and all comes out the front edge, it probably needs to be cleaned.

Happy mowing and just remember to grease all the fittings every few weeks and you should have this mower for a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. That's good to know about the oil change...my dealer said every 50hrs. I even asked them about break in oil and they still said 50hrs. I've only mowed once with it so I haven't noticed any play in the front end...I was also told to use 10w30. I did read that people were having trouble with the decks clogging up with grass. I was thinking of buying a mulching kit for it...do you think it's a bad idea?? :thanku:

I have 40 hours on my AC130 and so far it's been pretty good. I didn't like all the play in the wheels and steering, so I added another shim washer to the front wheels and thin nylon ones to the steering link pivots.
The only issues so far have been the following:

The owners manual chart shows Ideal oil to be Synthetic 5W30. After the 25hr oil change with Mobil One, it now uses some oil. My shop told me they never use anything but straight 30W oil in Briggs motors or they will use oil. They also said the first oil change should be done at 5HRS, not 25.

Because of the funny staggered gage wheel setup, the mower has a tendency to scalp hills with the left front corner. I fixed that yesterday by adding another wheel/bracket to the left front.

If you mow in wet grass, make sure to take the deck off as soon as possible to clean it or it tends to plug up. It's easy to see if it needs cleaning by watching the grass as it is flying out of the discharge. If the pattern gets real narrow and all comes out the front edge, it probably needs to be cleaned.

Happy mowing and just remember to grease all the fittings every few weeks and you should have this mower for a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dgnoid...did you fabricate wheel bracket or is there a part number you used? I noticed this today when I mowed that it tends to scalp on the front left corner...I think I'd like to try that fix:thanku:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know an online site that is very good for parts for the AC130? Thanks...I"m looking to buy a digital hour meter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts