My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling over some type of hood for my grandson's LX188. The only critical thing I can think of is that it needs to have grill in front that will let a lot of air through, and at the proper height. I have an old Poulan Pro hood that I rested on top of it, it doesn't look terrible, maybe a little small. I would also have to cut the front out and find a grill to rivet or bolt in, as it's not open enough. I have two studs sticking up on the frame, perhaps where the old hood mount was. I could build off of them for a mounting bracket for a non Deere hood.

Anybody know of anything I'm missing as far as things not working out well for an LX188? The grill vent is all I see.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The old 160-185 hoods fit the dash pretty well. I have one setting on the LX178 that I've never finished. I don't know if their wide enough for the water cooled twin, this one has a single cylinder on it. Once I get a muffler mounted I can figure how to lower the front.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like it fits well, Cannon. A lot better than the Poulan. We have a lawnmower graveyard within an hour of my house. I was planning on going late fall. I hear-tell that there's a lot of old JD's there, along with most other brands.

Does the 165 hood break easily? I was hoping to find a metal hood that I could sand and repaint, maybe even decal it with flames and/or JD branding. But I have no problem putting a composite or plastic hood on it, as long as it's not real fragile. Thanks!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,637 Posts
Anybody know of anything I'm missing as far as things not working out well for an LX188? The grill vent is all I see.
Green paint.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Here's the thread about the Craftsman hood I put on an LT160. It doesn't fit the dash very well.
https://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/742138-old-metal-hood-lt.html
Mowergene put a Craftsman hood on his LX. see post #19 https://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1328275-proving-john-deeres-longevity-2.html
Rayjay made a Hotrod hood for one of his deere mowers. https://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/814154-hot-rod-hood-project.html Looks like the pictures have expired. I believe he did buy a new top section but the result looked more like OE.
Cannon

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cannon! I believe both hoods shown on your post look a lot better than no hood at all. I even prefer my smallish Poulan hood over the absence of one. The pinkish one in your posts makes it look more like vintage machine. I feel confident I can find something that will work when I go to the graveyard.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I added some replacement pics to that thread that Cannon51 posted.

The problem with the LX1XX series is that the hinges are part of the lower hood.

On the GT225/235/245 and GX units [ that all use the same hood assy ] the hinges are attached to the back of the grille. My Hot Rod Hood setup takes advantage of this. Check the pics. Heck, I will post the pics on this thread !!! :)

On some of my units I will just hang the hood on the front with a small piece of strap metal to hold it in the upright position. Nothing over the top of the motor but even just the grille looks better than nothing at all . This was a normal hot rod thing back when a hot rod was a Model T or Model A :)

Here is an LX1XX hood with the hinges busted off

Here is the absolutely ugliest and most useful hood I have come up with !!! UGLY !!

Another pic of my Hot Rod Hood

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the Hot Rod look, rayjay! The ugly one is about as ugly as they get. But if the bottom is still in it, you'd have storage space for all kinds of tools, spare tires, and even a jack and stands.

I'll have to keep an eye out for tops and grills when I go to the lawnmower graveyard.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I really like the Hot Rod look, rayjay! The ugly one is about as ugly as they get. But if the bottom is still in it, you'd have storage space for all kinds of tools, spare tires, and even a jack and stands.

I'll have to keep an eye out for tops and grills when I go to the lawnmower graveyard.
Chainsaws, rope, pulley blocks, logging chain, gloves...…. When I have the boom pole on the back I can throw free weights in the box for ballast.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I added some replacement pics to that thread that Cannon51 posted.

The problem with the LX1XX series is that the hinges are part of the lower hood.

On the GT225/235/245 and GX units [ that all use the same hood assy ] the hinges are attached to the back of the grille. My Hot Rod Hood setup takes advantage of this. Check the pics. Heck, I will post the pics on this thread !!! :)

On some of my units I will just hang the hood on the front with a small piece of strap metal to hold it in the upright position. Nothing over the top of the motor but even just the grille looks better than nothing at all . This was a normal hot rod thing back when a hot rod was a Model T or Model A :)

Here is an LX1XX hood with the hinges busted off

Here is the absolutely ugliest and most useful hood I have come up with !!! UGLY !!

Another pic of my Hot Rod Hood

Correction !!!!! In the third paragraph above I say "On some of my units I just hang the HOOD ….." . That should say GRILLE. I just have the grille sitting in it's normal place with no hood.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,053 Posts
First thing is to find your metal hood. I searched craigslist.org for a while and after taking measurements from the tower forward and also the width I'd need, I found a Craftsman GT hood that I could adapt. It was a little too wide, but I tied a rope loosely near the tower and tightened with a 2X2 board by twisting the rope (this procedure was done later). Placing the hood over the engine, find where the hood will pivot down near the frame (mine was about 1 1/2 inches above the frame). With scrap steel, I built up the frame at the pivot area. Then I found a steel rod and laid it across those steel risers to determine the rod's exact position. Before welding the rod in place, with the hood upside down, lay the rod into the pivot points of the hood and mark them. Using a grinder, make grooves in the rod so that when mounted, the hood will not have side sway. Now, weld the rod where you've built up the frame. That's 90% of the work.
My hood had a plastic insert with a wind tunnel for an air-cooled engine....I took that out for clearance. I'm still using the JD screen on my LX178. I believe most hoods will have top vents to drawn in air for cooling, but make certain you get the headlight assembly with the hood complete with bulb holders and wiring. That will make things a lot easier! Not shown in the attached pictures are the addition of sheet metal at the tower to fill in the void left by the new hood. I simply screwed sheet metal into the plastic tower and masked off and painted.
If you have any questions, you can call me @ 865 429-4718. I'm retired and home most days.
Incidentally, I paid $25 for my hood.....worth every penny!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good, mowergene. I have about come to the conclusion that metal is the way to go. The Poulan hood that I have doesn't have a top vent, and that was one of my concerns. I've noticed that a lot of Craftsman mowers do. Thank you very much for your pics and sharing how you did it!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,053 Posts
Looks good, mowergene. I have about come to the conclusion that metal is the way to go. The Poulan hood that I have doesn't have a top vent, and that was one of my concerns. I've noticed that a lot of Craftsman mowers do. Thank you very much for your pics and sharing how you did it!
You're so welcome. I've had to share so many times that I keep the write-up and pictures on my desktop....ready to go!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Great job Mow! I had an old CC with a metal hood and it was basically one big piece molded to fit. I think a simple metal frame of electrical conduit shaped to match the contour of the tractor could then be easily covered with a sheet of aluminum and riveted to the frame. I like the idea of a polished hood with manly rivets holding it together! Sort of like the hood scoop on a 427 Cobra!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,053 Posts
You've got to keep in mind that the LX178 hood has no top vent. It draws air from everywhere. Also, if you'd like top vents, you could find an inexpensive (unregulated) home ceiling vent, cut an opening, and put in place. You could either screw it in place or braze it. Sounds like a fun project!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts