My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Handyman
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about fed up with the fuel cans I use for gasoline. I have three different variety and each one leaks as you pour it into fuel tanks.

They dribble fuel out through the threads on some and others have a double cap with a slide out nozzle under the first which then leaks.

It is bad enough to pay top dollar for gas but then to have it leaking out all over the place is just too much. Not to mention the safety issue of having fuel spilled onto the exterior of an engine.

I am not looking for a fix like a retro-fit gasket or such.

I would like to hear your nomination for your choice of best, safe, non-leaky fuel can. Providing a picture of yours or link to retailer would be great.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Not safe, but I siphon the first 3 1/2 or 4 gallons from the big cans. Sounds like we shop at the same store for gas cans.:D

·
Super Moderator
31,824 Posts
I HATE all the new cans!!!!!!!!!!!! That darn safty tube is a REAL POS!!!!! I dump as much gas as I get it. The old pull out ones pored better, but they leaked a lot. Still at least you could poor the darn things though!!!!

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I use the metal Eagle brand 5 gallon cans with the spring loaded safety flap. All 3 of mine came with a 12" funnel that can stay on the can while the flap is closed. I filter ALL my gas with a Mr. Funnel so there's no other spouts or gaskets required. I do have old plastic 1 gallon cans for the saw and trimmer, both types are no longer available. Even the good ol Piggy saw gas/bar oil cans are now "new and improved" and probably leak too...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,424 Posts
I fail to see much difference between a Clorox bleach bottle and my Wedco gas cans,both made of plastic,have screw on caps,and both hold gas--OK,maybe no vent on the clorox bottle!--but the fire marshall "approves" the Wedco can,and bans us from filling bleach jugs,anti-freeze bottles,soda bottles,etc, with gas..if you ask me the Wedco cans are more dangerous!..
I think I spill as much as I burn in my engines refueling them!.

I liked my old Eagle metal cans best,I have a few I have left outside for a decade empty I forgot about in a leaky shed,yet they still look new and galvanized inside..too bad the rubber nozzles disintergrated..:(

I had two 5 gallon army "jerry cans" too that were nice,someone else liked them better,they dissapeared one night out of my pickup bed--empty though,at least..:( ... probably on the back of a Jeep CJ somewhere now..

I used to have a large fuel tank off a road sign generator,looked like a small air compressor tank,held about 10 gallons..it was nice only filling that once every mowing season and using the shut off valve and a hose to fill up my tractors and push mowers with--I'd put it up on a bench out in the shed,it was like having a mini gas station of your own..I sold it for 50 bucks,someone needed it bad,I got it free,so I let it go..kinda wish I hadn't now,but gas was pretty expensive when I decided to sell it too!..

Last year when I bought a 5 gallon Wedco plastic "can",it cost me 6.99 on sale--went to the gas station to fill it,it took 20 bucks!..:(

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I like these pretty well:

Modern Gas Can

I still have of the cans in photo 1 left. Doesn't pour well though.

I have one, 5 gallon size, my favorite of the style in the last two photos. I had two, but one of them "grew legs" and I haven't seen it several years. I also find it easier to use than the modern cans.

I do have one of the combination cans for the chainsaw. Combination Gas Can I really do like it and don't have any leaks or spills. At least not yet.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts