·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Got home tonight and started mowing to get ready for a big picnic we are having
this weekend. Everything was going great and then just like someone shut of a
swithc my 446 died.....upon investigation I am not getting spark. I had a spare
coil and voltage regulator so I changed both of them and still...no spark!

Please help!:banghead3

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked it all guys. I have power at the positive side of the coil, the fuse and fuse holder is good, ammeter seems to function properly. It has to be something simple but I just cannot find it! There are no saftey switches anymore. The igniton switch is not too old and I rechecked all the connections.....I am lost. :fing20:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,303 Posts
I have checked it all guys. I have power at the positive side of the coil, the fuse and fuse holder is good, ammeter seems to function properly. It has to be something simple but I just cannot find it! There are no saftey switches anymore. The igniton switch is not too old and I rechecked all the connections.....I am lost. :fing20:
Condensor? Ring out the points circuit.. Use a battery powered test light. hook one side to the coill neg. terminal. Ground the tester to a good ground on the engine. The light should be on faintly. Rotate the crankshaft and when the points open the light should dim a tad. (this is the signal for the coil to fire) If it stays the same when the motor turns/points open then you have either a short or gounded secondary wire or shorted points/condenser.. :goodl:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for your advice. I checked the points again...I
removed them from the block, cleaned the base and re-installed. I also filed the
points and she fired right up! The picnic is on and you are all invited....!!!!

I am not sure if it was not grounded correctly or if the points just needed a
better cleaning but it runs great again! I am amazed at how simple yet reliable
these tractors are, thank you all for your help!

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

Boomer- The previous owner had removed them...As you know I have been going through this tractor a little at a time....I suspect that one day Mad Mackie and I will tackle that issue too!:fing32:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts