My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everyone knows that I bought a 66' suburban 12.
Well, I bought a new set of points for it, and now I need to know how to wire the coil to the points. I have a wire that goes to a toggle switch and then a wire runs to the coil or the points, I dont know which it should go to first.
I think I have a good coil. but I need to know how to wire it first.
OH and I need the points gap for them.
Could someone please help? Please, please please?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would help you but I don't have any point model Suburban's or a wiring diagram for them. I don't want to guess and give you the wrong info.

MTF Member "Earth" has that tractor, maybe pm him to see if he has a wiring diagram.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I need to know what to set the points at. I got it to spark, but I dont know if the timings right. Cause it wont fire.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Points gap should be .020...

The coil will need a condensor attached between the negative post on it,(same wire can go to the points too).and the condensor must be grounded...the coil needs 12V applied to the positive terminal on it,and if the coil does not have a built in resistor,a ballast resistor must be installed between the ignition switch hot wire,and the positive coil terminal..on some engines I have put a car type coil on,I noticed they ran better if I swapped the coil primary wires to reverse the polarity (run the hot wire to the negative coil terminal and positive to the points and condensor)..yours should be OK with the hot wire to the positive coil terminal and negative to the points and condensor..

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Points gap should be .020...

The coil will need a condensor attached between the negative post on it,(same wire can go to the points too).and the condensor must be grounded...the coil needs 12V applied to the positive terminal on it,and if the coil does not have a built in resistor,a ballast resistor must be installed between the ignition switch hot wire,and the positive coil terminal..on some engines I have put a car type coil on,I noticed they ran better if I swapped the coil primary wires to reverse the polarity (run the hot wire to the negative coil terminal and positive to the points and condensor)..yours should be OK with the hot wire to the positive coil terminal and negative to the points and condensor..
Ok, I did that, I dont have the condenser grounded, would that make it spark but not fire the engine?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
The condenser needs to be grounded. Otherwise it does nothing useful.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
IT RUNS AND IT MOVES!
But I can drive it for like 5 minutes before the engine sucks the battery dry and it dies. lol
I really need to get that Starter generator from hugh.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Leaving the switch on won't hurt the condenser, but on a battery ignition, it will fry the coil and/or points, if the points are closed. On a magneto ignition, nothing bad will happen to the ignition, although the battery may be drained by other things.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leaving the switch on won't hurt the condenser, but on a battery ignition, it will fry the coil and/or points. On a magneto ignition, nothing bad will happen to the ignition, although the battery may be drained by other things.
Ya, good thing I cought it before it messed up the coil or the points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts