My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Craftsman GT-6000 with a Briggs & Stratton 18 hp twin engine. About a year ago, when I got the tractor, it wouldn't run due to no spark. I purchased a Briggs manual (since I had not worked on a twin cylinder engine before) Then after checking the system over I replaced the ignition coil (used non-Briggs coil) and after cleaning the carb. it started and ran fine.

However, last evening I started the tractor to mow, and after one pass around the yard the engine missed then stalled and wouldn't restart. After checking I found there was no spark again. My question is, is this type of engine known for coil/ignition issues, or is it more likely the non-briggs coil the issue???

Any suggestions would be great--thanks in advance

·
15,000 +posts!
20,408 Posts
I be sure there is no safety switches killing the spark,or a bad ignition switch,etc..sounds like maybe by chance replacing the coil "fixed" it,but in reality it had another problem perhaps--or it WAS the coil then,but not now?..I have heard of cheap aftermarket coils not being so great quality though..

I'd dissconnect the kill wire from the coil and see if it still has no spark..I'm no expert on two cylinder Briggs engines though,so others here may offer better advice..I simply haven't had many to fool with !..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts