My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Economy Power King
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 Power King, 12HP engine. The tractor has sat for about 2 and a half years under cover. I had the tractor running great before circumstances forced me to park it. Anyway. I installed a brand new battery on it today (4-21-21), a Duralast 26-DL, which is what was on it previously. When I pull the ignition knob and then go to push the starter, nothing at all happens.

From what I can tell, all the wiring is good, nothing appears to be frayed or broken. Any kind of info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Get out your meter. Check for continuity where it should be. Check for voltage where it should be. Try to isolate the problem that way. You can bypass the ignition switch and run power from the battery to the starter to momentary check the starter. My experience is that it is probably not the starter.

Don Hayes

·
Super Moderator
10,540 Posts
It does sound like a bad ground...take a multi meter....red to pos on the battery...black to the post on battery and check for continuity and minimum 12.5 volts...if that checks out...touch the chassis with the probe....if no voltage, no continuity ...the ground is bad...if you do get good reading ...that does not conclusively meant that all that voltage is making it to the starter.....so...put red probe from the multimeter onto the large lug at the starter and the black to the chassis and see what you get...if not at least 12.5 volts you are losing current...although all wires look ok...where connections take place are breeding grounds for oxidation which interferes with solid, firm contact

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you have jumper cables you can also verify ground by one cable battery-- ground over to starter case, or starter bolt. Then try cranking.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts