My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No power going up hill after 25 hours use. Brand new tractor gt6000

I ran the tractor fine for around 2 months. Brand new with no problems. I changed the oil and now I have little to no power up hill. If I stop while going up hill and depress the pedal, the tractor will resume however, if I just try to drive up hill without stopping, the tractor just slows to a stop.

The engine revs fine and no other issues other than I can’t go up hills without stopping and restarting. This did not do this for the first 25 hours of use. I recently added the snow blower attachment and two 50lb wheel weights. On level ground the tractor flies as usually but once I get into hills, I slowly decrease to a stop.

Again, if i let off the pedal mid-way through the hill, the tractor resumes. The belt feels tight and the clip is fine. I did spill a little oil on the belt during the oil change a few weeks ago but I thought that would be dried up and long gone by now. I tried to purge the transmission around 5 times and still very little speed, coming to a top when going up hill.

I used degreaser on the underside, soaked the belt and all of the flywheels etc. Seems to have helped a little so now I can go up the hill, but it begins to slow down – almost to a stop and barely makes it.

Any suggestions appreciated since I think if I need to call sears, this may take a few weeks a least. Maybe a new belt already?

·
Banned
7,238 Posts
IF you did anything to the belt and it helped a little, I'd say you need to explore that.

Chances are, you got the belt glazed or similar when you got the oil on it.
Has it been colder? That might "harden" the belt that little bit extra more.

I'd run it up the hill until it stops.
I'd then immediately feel the belt to see if it feels hot.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Sounds like your trans may need purging. I forget the exact procedure but the instructions will be in your owners manual. If you do not have a manual go to managemylife.com and enter your model #.

I'm assuming that when you say you have changed the oil, you mean the engine oil and not the transaxle oil?

BBY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for the help. I did the purge about ten times at least. I will run it up hill and see if it feels hot. I did notice while trying to go up hill a week ago, I gave it some throttle and it began to smoke (from the belt) a bit. I am thinking new belt but cant believe that the belt stretched out that fast???

·
Banned
7,238 Posts
Probably not stretched, but that "little bit of oil" probably had a bigger impact than you think.
IF you saw smoke from the belt, it means you are burning something. Probably a bit of oil and a lot of rubber.

I'd clean the pulleys with brake cleaner or similar WHEN you install the new belt.

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
What kind of oil did you use?

Did you put the right amount of oil back into the transmission when you changed it?

Try backing up the hill for a comparison. If it backs up fine, you need to add some oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks a lot all. I did not change the tranny. Just the motor oil.

I am thinking that you are right Bill since cleaning the underside helped. I'll clean it again and hope that the dust, heat and time helps dry up the belt a bit more. Els, I'll try a new belt.

Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If the degreaser you used was the foam stuff in a can, that's pretty much a variation on diesel fuel and would have made the problem worse.
Once a belt has started slipping and glazes, that's pretty much it for it. A new belt is the best fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.