My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started changing the oil on my new to me JD l100. It's got the 17hp Intek single cylinder. I got the oil filter I thought it was supposed to have (am125424) but when I went looking for it I could't find a filter on it anywhere. So again, "No oil filter, Really!?!" Who's idea was that?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,115 Posts
Just started changing the oil on my new to me JD l100. It's got the 17hp Intek single cylinder. I got the oil filter I thought it was supposed to have (am125424) but when I went looking for it I could't find a filter on it anywhere. So again, "No oil filter, Really!?!" Who's idea was that?
Bean Counters (Can't have a machine last to long, AKA Planned Obsolescence).

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Quite a few years ago I was looking at some new Craftsman mowers. There were two identical models sitting right next to each other, same year/engine/deck/etc. One had a filter and the other had a filter delete... (a cap that fit inplace of the filter)

Go figure.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Quite a few years ago I was looking at some new Craftsman mowers. There were two identical models sitting right next to each other, same year/engine/deck/etc. One had a filter and the other had a filter delete... (a cap that fit inplace of the filter)

Go figure.
What is really funny is that the cap is more expensive than an oil filter. You can buy the threaded nipple to take the place of the cap and then be able to install an oil filter.

I used to refurb L100 Series mowers and most of the ones I bought still had the original filter.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,215 Posts
What is really funny is that the cap is more expensive than an oil filter. You can buy the threaded nipple to take the place of the cap and then be able to install an oil filter.

I used to refurb L100 Series mowers and most of the ones I bought still had the original filter.
the funny part the threaded nipple is the sold by Craftsman for 13 $..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You bought this riding mower but didn’t know that it lacks an oil filter?

Andreas
Actually, I thought it did but in all the bother I think my minds eye mistook the starter for the oil filter. Eh, you can only see it good with the hood up. Can't be too upset though, I've gone thru the whole thing now and it works great (except for doing wheelies but that's another post. I'm working on it.) and the guy even transported it to my house for me. As long as I keep the oil changed, it will be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hey rayjay, is there any possibility I can do something like what you said to my engine and add an oil filter? It's a 2005 17hp single cylinder Intek.

·
15,215 Posts
Actually, I thought it did but in all the bother I think my minds eye mistook the starter for the oil filter. Eh, you can only see it good with the hood up. Can't be too upset though, I've gone thru the whole thing now and it works great (except for doing wheelies but that's another post. I'm working on it.) and the guy even transported it to my house for me. As long as I keep the oil changed, it will be fine.
u may b changing the oil after 6-to 10 hours of use..

·
21,375 Posts
u may b changing the oil after 6-to 10 hours of use..
For a lot of people, that's about a full season of mowing. It takes me about 20 minutes and I mow about 20 times per season if it's dry (and it usually is in August). That's 6 hours and 40 minutes for the season.

Seems that I recall that the manufacturers used to recommend changing the oil every 25 hours or once per season, whichever came first.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Hey rayjay, is there any possibility I can do something like what you said to my engine and add an oil filter? It's a 2005 17hp single cylinder Intek.
Your engine has no provision for an oil filter. It doesn't even have an oil pump. It's lubed strictly by splash. You can go to the JD parts site and look at the exploded views of the engine of the L100. Then look at the L108 exploded views and you will see that the sump has the area for a filter and there is an oil pump also.

What IS funny, is that the L100 exploded view for the crankcases shows a sump with no mounting boss for the oil filter but the parts page does list a nipple and the oil filter. Just a screw up.

·
15,215 Posts
Your engine has no provision for an oil filter. It doesn't even have an oil pump. It's lubed strictly by splash. You can go to the JD parts site and look at the exploded views of the engine of the L100. Then look at the L108 exploded views and you will see that the sump has the area for a filter and there is an oil pump also.

What IS funny, is that the L100 exploded view for the crankcases shows a sump with no mounting boss for the oil filter but the parts page does list a nipple and the oil filter. Just a screw up.
that is wild.. I think someone got their numbers all crossed up..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Best case, if your motor is in good shape, source a good oil pan with pump and filter attachment, and cam that has the provision for the oil pump drive, if your cam doesn't have it already, then your good to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best case, if your motor is in good shape, source a good oil pan with pump and filter attachment, and cam that has the provision for the oil pump drive, if your cam doesn't have it already, then your good to go.
It is in good shape so definitely something to think about, thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just discover this with my Yamaha EFI golf cart. No oil filter and no provisions for one.

Just gotta change the oil more often I guess....

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
It is in good shape so definitely something to think about, thanks
You would be better off keeping your eyes open for an L110 with a bad trans or they just quit using the unit and got a yard service. The Kohler Command single is a way better motor than any Briggs single.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If this is the original engine, Briggs & Stratton 31F70, I believe this model was available in both splash and pressure oiling (with the filter provision in the casting). There are two separate block casting diagrams for this engine. Sounds like your particular tractor was one of the splash oiled versions of this engine.
Just keep it maintained and it should be fine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'd rather have pressurized lube with an oil filter, too. But splash seems to work OK on a lot of machines (my Briggs twin included).

At some point, are you perhaps introducing more risk of something going wrong (accidentally damaging something during the process, etc) by doing a conversion like this? Changing the oil more-often is at least low-risk, and pretty moderate cost.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts